CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:32 pm

angler57 wrote:
Gunnair wrote:
angler57 wrote:
For ShepherdsDog or any interested parties. Just a few days short our seventy-first year. Grew up poor. Before becoming a photo journalist worked all night. Then came home watered. Fed. Plowed or mowed or what ever the season demanded.
Milked and did a bit of rendering.
Grew-up with shotgun in hand. We always ate what ever we killed. Used squirrel tails and duck feathers to tie flies.
Only caught and ate what fish we needed. Anything taken was put on the table.
For a number of years we lived down a dirt lane 1/4 mile to the gravel road. Another five miles to county road and 15 miles into town.
Had truck garden, beef and chickens to tend to. Weren't no big super markets out our way. You raised it you ate it.
Oh yes, wore our countries uniform with pride. Army and Coast Guard.
Now, SherpherdsDog, tell us a tad about yourself????

I'm curious what motivates you to join a Canadian forum and unload diatribes such as this?

Angler57
Wife and I love Canada and spend as much time as is possible there.
This is a personal history as is clearly readable. Facts, nothing more. Nothing less. My Canadian friends and family are there. That is why I am here.
Just curious as to how folks up there feel? My friend, am sorry facts seem to be troubling to you.
See below Diatride
1 archaic : a prolonged discourse
2 : a bitter and abusive speech or writing
3 : ironic or satirical criticism

???

Oh... you mean diatribe...

Thanks for the lesson, friend.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:57 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:
You ain't seen nothin until you've seen white squirrels. I don't mean albino squirrels, I mean truly white. Freaked me out one day when I saw a bunch of 'em.
Didn't know what the hell they were at first :lol:

I like the black squirrels you see in Stanley Park in Van. I've never seen them anywhere else.

Have seen black quirrels from Windsor, Sault Saint Marie, Sarnia
and Parry Sound. Don't remember seeing blacks on Manitoulin Island or in Tobermory area.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:59 pm

angler57 wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:
PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:
You ain't seen nothin until you've seen white squirrels. I don't mean albino squirrels, I mean truly white. Freaked me out one day when I saw a bunch of 'em.

I like the black squirrels you see in Stanley Park in Van. I've never seen them anywhere else.

Have seen black squirrels from Windsor, Sault Saint Marie, Sarnia
and Parry Sound. Don't remember seeing blacks on Manitoulin Island or in Tobermory area.

That's the world-famous Canadian apartheid system at work. :wink:

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:04 pm

I've ate squirrel, at a fundraising game dinner for the Rockey Mountain Elk Foundation in 100 Mile House. They had just about every local wild game there you could think of. All came from confiscated , by the CO's or donated meat from hunters. Squirrel really wasn't too bad, but to my surprise, my favorite meat that I tried was mountain Lion, who knew cat was really that good, besides downtown Chinese restaurants that is....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:08 pm

QBC wrote:
I've ate squirrel, at a fundraising game dinner for the Rockey Mountain Elk Foundation in 100 Mile House. They had just about every local wild game there you could think of. All came from confiscated , by the CO's or donated meat from hunters. Squirrel really wasn't too bad, but to my surprise, my favorite meat that I tried was mountain Lion, who knew cat was really that good, besides downtown Chinese restaurants that is....

Never had squirrel. We have enough of the big grey variety on the island though...

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Well now thank Ya'lll Mr BartSimpson. Will ignore a few of the minor this and thats, which have brought me questions. We'll be
around for a long time. Maybe this June or July will meet a few of you folks and share a coffee.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Since ya'lll are in the cat-birds-seat will be interesting to see
how things progress from here?
Have insulted no one. Have only told facts about myself. My
beliefs. Regret they have offended. We have an open mind and only seek to learn.
[/quote]
Then relax and enjoy the place. I look forward to celebrating your 10,000th post someday!

------------------------------------------------------------------

That there is sure a lot of post. As people say your way, as soon as we speak. Your not from here are you? Lets celebrate the differences.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:31 pm

Well, welcome to CKA, at least.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:40 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:

They're all tree rats....red, white, grey and black ...Ozark hors d'œuvres. Oh and to answer some of your questions Angler, I said you are just a few years older than my parents who are 20 and 22 years older than I am. I'm in my early 40s.
I didn't grow up poor(my family has always managed to do well as farmers, tradesmen or were professionals)...just starved for love and affection...not being a MacDonald means livestock wouldn't do for me.

Grew up in the city(Victoria) and in a rural area(western Manitoba), although not on a farm, though we did raise our own animals on a family farm a couple of miles away. I own two residences, one in the city and one(20 miles from a supermarket or town) bordering on a provincial forest, where my neighbours and I keep several large sloughs stocked with trout. I always had wild game and fish in the freezer(moose, elk, jumper - white tail for you Americans....ducks and geese, trout, pickerel(walleye), jack(northern pike), perch and bass).

I own several firerms and use them whenever I have the opportunity. I am not a proponent of the firearms registration, although I do believe 90% of the population do not require access to assault weapons or handguns(both should only be used by persons engaged in a legitimate business/organization requiring them. I also believe that if a foreigner or Canadian brings one of these into my country, without proper Canadian authorization, they should be charged and or imprisoned, have their weapon confiscated and destroyed, and be banned from ever entering Canada again(I wish some 'Canadians' could be given the boot too).. Enough information??

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:18 pm

ShepherdsDog wrote

Quote:
I didn't grow up poor(my family has always managed to do well as farmers, tradesmen or were professionals)...just starved for love and affection...not being a MacDonald means livestock wouldn't do for me.

Fortunately, Campbell's know how to bake.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:28 pm

They have a population of white squirrels in Exeter, ON. There's actually a by-law against killing/injuring these albino rodents. Local legend is that people from Blyth, a short ways up the road, captured some of these white squirrels and introduced them them to Blyth. The legend continues that the white squirrels made their way back to Exeter; they never took hold in Blyth.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:32 pm

Gunnair wrote:
ShepherdsDog wrote

Quote:

And what to serve MacDonalds when they drop in for a bite.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:04 pm

ShepherdsDog wrote:
Gunnair wrote:
ShepherdsDog wrote

Quote:

And what to serve MacDonalds when they drop in for a bite.

More often offering a beating vice taking a bite... 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:45 pm

yet , the majority of the time they've received rather given, after they've had some warm apple pie.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:43 am

Angler57, I apologize for my random acts of hostility.

I look forward to less volatile conversations in the future.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:30 am

I also believe that if a foreigner or Canadian brings one of these into my country, without proper Canadian authorization, they should be charged and or imprisoned, have their weapon confiscated and destroyed, and be banned from ever entering Canada again(I wish some 'Canadians' could be given the boot too).. Enough information??

Agree entirely ShepherdsDog.

Also agree with all statements concerning combat weapons.
Guess on the handgun issue we'll have to agree to disagree.
My primary interest now is directed toward black powder weapons.
Don't know how many out there have built or fired a flintlocke rifle or pistol.
Hobby gives a gray haired Lil old man something to keep mind and body active.
Spending a day working or shooting is as good as a day in the kayak with a flyrod.

Thanks to all, nice to get the discussion to more civil footing.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1198 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10 ... 80  Next