CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:52 pm

Going back to the purpose of this thread, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that though Paul Martin talks about it, the second he brings it up in open parliment, his government will fall. The general consensus here from the Canadians on this site seems to be that we will not at this time (or possibly ever) agree to an American Union. Such a thing (my opinion now) is that it would be even more detrimental to our sovereignty than NAFTA has been, as we got screwed up the ass on that one. Mulroney basically sold out the country to the highest bidder *sits, fuming for 10 minutes before he can continue*

If terms could be worked out in the future that DO NOT involve a defence force (let our own soldiers patrol our own territory), Guarantee absolutely no protectionism of American businesses, and observe some other rules about cultural influence (not sure how they would be worded or if it could be done, but something to free Canada up a bit more culturally from the US), then I think the majority of Canadians would think about it seriously before dismissing it. But before any of that happens, America has to get its act together and stop invading any other countries...

Speaking of invasions, it seems to me that the country with the most oil in the world that hasn't been invaded by the US (militarily) is Canada. Might that change soon, and the US will just dispense with the idea of an AU in favour of a full out invasion instead?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:25 pm

NAFTA is both a blessing and a curse. I don't mind if America and Canada are friends, it's when America tries to screw us over that I shake my head and ask: "Why?" I maintain that an AU will never exist, especially in todays world of chaos. No matter what people say, if there is an AU, There will be a loss of Sovereignty on a minor scale for all Nations involved. The EU itself has tried to unify many nations with different political views and strong sense of Pride. It came close to collapse over choosing a justice minister for pete sake! I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong or offend them, but and AU is just wrong and would not work. Look at NAFTA, it's screwing us all over!!! AN AU would be a brutal sodomisation. :wink: