bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:11 pm

housewife housewife:
Sorry but if they lurk before they join they have to know. Besides everyone has problems with spammers if they can’t take being asked what they’re selling then they probably don’t really want to be here.

Nonsense. That's needlessly prejudicial and creates a super unwelcoming atmosphere. No one wants to join any community that immediately assumes they're spammers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
2Cdo 2Cdo:
Back in Canada for a couple months and took a quick look at CKA and all I have to say is nothing will change and this forum is dying a slow death. The behavior of certain people that I HAD respect for is gone as they have become raving loons.

You are missed. :wink:

R=UP

R=UP R=UP

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Wow. I don't know how I missed seeing this thread but I know I didn't log in on Friday, when most of the posts were made, and somehow yesterday when I was in I just didn't notice it. I stumbled upon it when I was looking for a certain post by a member after viewing a pm I received.

There have been many good points made in this thread by all who have participated. I could quote and respond to so many posts but then it would take forever for me to post this reply. :lol:

I too, have considered a few times to leave this forum altogether. I get so tired of seeing some of the hostility that gets displayed by some and how severely others react and respond. Threads get derailed and destroyed because people drag bs from another thread into another topic. It's sad that we have lost some members who just couldn't stand it anymore and no longer contribute which is a shame but I respect how they feel and their reasoning.

As annoyed (and sometimes angry) as I sometimes feel towards some folks around here there will come another thread in which they act as a totally different person, one who is civil and interesting and contribute in a positive way. I also always try to remember that some people just have bad days or a particular topic will hit a personal nerve for them, and perhaps they take out their frustrations on people that are not "real" to them, which is easy to do on the internet.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Let's all try a little harder to be civil!

Cheers [B-o]

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:02 pm

I have strong opinions on topics I know nothing about and I’m happy enough to express them as long as I don’t get carried away into some pointless feud. The few things I have some knowledge of are of very little interest to anybody else here and when I do talk about them I try to be fair in the way I use my advantage. The main thing is not to respond too soon to provocative posts and to know when to let the thread go and move on. Simple but not easy. I would not want to ever deter people from using this site because of some rude thing I wrote. All hail hypocrisy, an underrated virtue.

One thing I do like here is the light-touch moderation compared to some Canadian sites. Elsewhere I’ve been cited for tiny infractions when I had no idea I was offending anybody. Moderators need to look at intent and try to intervene as little as possible.

Last edited by Sunnyways on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:13 pm

It's hard to stay civil when some people are defending the indefensible. Or siding with a foreign ideological movement that has our own country in it's crosshairs to cause us incalculable economic damage. It becomes part of the crime that's being committed to stay silent in the face of this kind of danger, or this kind of bottomless cruelty.

For the record I've approached the followers and apologists for Donald Trump with the same intensity and anger that I once approached the apologists for Al Qaeda because, yes, I see them as being exactly the same kind of anti-decency and anti-humanity. In some wars there is no peace possible.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:55 am

Thanos Thanos:
It's hard to stay civil when some people are defending the indefensible. Or siding with a foreign ideological movement that has our own country in it's crosshairs to cause us incalculable economic damage. It becomes part of the crime that's being committed to stay silent in the face of this kind of danger, or this kind of bottomless cruelty.

For the record I've approached the followers and apologists for Donald Trump with the same intensity and anger that I once approached the apologists for Al Qaeda because, yes, I see them as being exactly the same kind of anti-decency and anti-humanity. In some wars there is no peace possible.

I really would not have a problem with you being uncivil because you actually seem to care about what you are talking about. You take it personally, and it shows (probably not the best for your health). I disagree with a fair amount for your viewpoints, but I admire your courage of your convictions. I would not want a tamed down Thanos.

I do have a problem with people who do not seem to actually care about anything. They argue for the sake of argument. If you say its black, they say its white. If you change your mind and say its white, they claim its always been black. We have one active member who I have never seen have a serious debate about anything at all. He speaks in riddles and corny one liners. Its almost like he is practicing to be a (very bad) stand up comic. I swear that I hear a rim shot in my head after every one of his posts. To this day I have no bearing of his politics, beliefs, etc. I feel like he is wasting everyone's time with his nonsensical B.S. most of you probably know who I am talking about. He may not be uncivil per se as in insults, but wasting everyone's time and the sites bandwidth is pretty uncivil too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:23 am

Sorry decided to take the weekend for myself and lie in bed like the lazy p.o.s. I am.

Let's all try not to be dicks.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:32 am

SHORT VERSION: If a 3rd-party reader needs to know the specific names of other members in the forum just to understand your post, then re-write your post in such a way that your message is clear to somebody who just joined the forum.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:02 am

CharlesAnthony CharlesAnthony:
SHORT VERSION: If a 3rd-party reader needs to know the specific names of other members in the forum just to understand your post, then re-write your post in such a way that your message is clear to somebody who just joined the forum.

That's not at all the point. This is about civility, not comprehension.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:18 am

llama66 llama66:
Sorry decided to take the weekend for myself and lie in bed like the lazy p.o.s. I am.

R=UP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:29 am

I was so lazy my back now hurts because they won't let me lie down at work. they say its "unprofessional".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:30 am

Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:30 am

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
I have strong opinions on topics I know nothing about...

+5 for one of the most honest posts in the entire history of the Internet! R=UP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:43 am

Thanos Thanos:
Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:12 pm