Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:02 am

GreenTiger GreenTiger:
What does our travel to each other's country have to do with racism?

True, all countries mine and yours have things about them that that we are not exactly proud of, but Canada as a "racist Country"?.

Canada has a lot of racism - whether it's against natives, Francos/Anglos, Chinese, East Indian... insert a group here. Though we may not have the entranched racism of the the US south against blacks or the southwest for Latinos, to state that we are far from racist based on your visit is foolish.

Hence my own claim based on my visit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:03 am

raydan raydan:
GreenTiger GreenTiger:
What does our travel to each other's country have to do with racism?

True, all countries mine and yours have things about them that that we are not exactly proud of, but Canada as a "racist Country"?.

He's calling you out because you found Québecers racist... and you responded it was because you went to Hull 2 years ago.

Mind you, I'm calling you out too... because I've spent WAY more time in Québec than you have. First of all, when you say that we're not very tolerant of English speaking Canadians (I'm not saying they are or aren't, it would be hard to convince you one way or another), maybe you should check to see how tolerant English Canadians are towards French Canadians.

Agreed. Now shut the hell up, Froggie, and make me some poutine to go with the sammich Brenda made me! :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:36 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
Agreed. Now shut the hell up, Froggie, and make me some poutine to go with the sammich Brenda made me! :lol:

OK... now, would you really eat anything I'd make for you? :evil:

Damn it, now I wanna eat some frog legs. [drool]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:50 am

raydan raydan:
maybe you should check to see how tolerant English Canadians are towards French Canadians.

Although I'm well aware that one can always find bigotry and racism this seems like a bit of a dated statement to me. I know it could get bad in the past but in more modern times...

I live in Alberta, supposedly the most anti-french of all provinces, yet when I go on job site or just live in general I meet a lot of french-canadians, and although everyone of them has the same nick-name(frenchie) that's about as far as it goes. The guys that work hard and do their best to adapt to living in a new place are accepted just like everyone else. The ones that come out here to be lazy and take pot-shots at Alberta or the west while they're earning the money they couldn't get back home... they get called a lot worse than frenchie and they're probably the ones who go home with tales of those Albertan redneck bigots.

That's been my experience anyways.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:07 pm

Unsound Unsound:
raydan raydan:
maybe you should check to see how tolerant English Canadians are towards French Canadians.

Although I'm well aware that one can always find bigotry and racism this seems like a bit of a dated statement to me. I know it could get bad in the past but in more modern times...

I live in Alberta, supposedly the most anti-french of all provinces, yet when I go on job site or just live in general I meet a lot of french-canadians, and although everyone of them has the same nick-name(frenchie) that's about as far as it goes. The guys that work hard and do their best to adapt to living in a new place are accepted just like everyone else. The ones that come out here to be lazy and take pot-shots at Alberta or the west while they're earning the money they couldn't get back home... they get called a lot worse than frenchie and they're probably the ones who go home with tales of those Albertan redneck bigots.

Just to make my statement clear, I did not say there was intolerance, although there is on both sides, just that he should check. The other thing is that you shouldn't judge a province/state/country on just a few people you've met, seen or heard about. It's like me judging all Americans by watching the Republican debates, or Jersey Shore. 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:11 pm

raydan raydan:
Unsound Unsound:
raydan raydan:

Just to make my statement clear, I did not say there was intolerance, although there is on both sides, just that he should check. The other thing is that you shouldn't judge a province/state/country on just a few people you've met, seen or heard about. It's like me judging all Americans by watching the Republican debates, or Jersey Shore. 8O

No no, it is entirely permissable to judge the US by the contents of Jersey SHore. Fair is fair!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:42 pm

We don't mind visible minorities around my neck of the woods but don't dare show your face if you support the Liberal party! :lol:

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:41 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
We don't mind visible minorities around my neck of the woods but don't dare show your face if you support the Liberal party! :lol:

That might be because minorities are more socially acceptable than the Liberal Party. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Nuke Jersey Shore.

PS: Hitler.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:45 am

Caelon Caelon:
2Cdo 2Cdo:

That might be because minorities are more socially acceptable than the Liberal Party. :lol:

Probab;y cause the minorities usually have the only restaurant in town with good food.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:49 pm

My experience 2 years ago in Hull was that the French Canadians were a lot more tolerant of me when they found out that I was an American then when they intially thought I was an English speaking Canadian refusing to speak French.

Americans don't usually go there in the middle of winter.

But that experience doesn't have anything to do with my premise.

I atrongly disagree that Canada is a nation of bigots. I'm not sure why that assertion bugs you I would have thought if I agreed that that would irk you.

Canada is one of the most open societies on the planet more so than the US. You have had a lot less racial strife than we had an I admire that. If that irks anyboy than let them be irked.

There is a lot to admire about Canada as all the Americans on this forum have stated a number of times.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:01 pm

I don't know if you're talking to me, but I knew that's what you were saying, GT. My experience of having lived in Québec for 40 years, is that the French Québecers are very tolerant, although this may differ from region to region and you will find assholes everywhere. I also lived outside of the province for years and I can say that I got a lot of grief from the ROC, not from everybody, of course, but it supports what I said earlier that you will find assholes everywhere.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:04 pm

My one foray into Quebec was 40 yrs ago. I went with my high school French (with which I did OK in France) but the Quebecois would refuse to speak French to me, just answered in English. I was really disappointed. Certainly making the effort didn't seem to impress them. There is a comedian who does a good joke about that - he speaks good French, but says when he uses it with a Quebecois, they just sigh, roll their eyes and go "yes, Anglo"

I've never given a Quebecois a hard time when I met them in ROC unless they're separatist dipshits, who have the attitude that they want a separate Quebec but ROC should still maintain bilingualism and effectively be their country as much as ours.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:49 am

raydan raydan:
I don't know if you're talking to me, but I knew that's what you were saying, GT. My experience of having lived in Québec for 40 years, is that the French Québecers are very tolerant, although this may differ from region to region and you will find assholes everywhere. I also lived outside of the province for years and I can say that I got a lot of grief from the ROC, not from everybody, of course, but it supports what I said earlier that you will find assholes everywhere.

Agreed, unfortunately there is no shortage of assholes. This is one species that will never make the Endangered Species List in any country.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:52 am

andyt andyt:
My one foray into Quebec was 40 yrs ago. I went with my high school French (with which I did OK in France) but the Quebecois would refuse to speak French to me, just answered in English. I was really disappointed. Certainly making the effort didn't seem to impress them. There is a comedian who does a good joke about that - he speaks good French, but says when he uses it with a Quebecois, they just sigh, roll their eyes and go "yes, Anglo"

I've never given a Quebecois a hard time when I met them in ROC unless they're separatist dipshits, who have the attitude that they want a separate Quebec but ROC should still maintain bilingualism and effectively be their country as much as ours.

That seems odd. One would think they would at least appreciate the effort. If your French is okay in France it is certainly good unless the Quebec French is a kind of a dialect.

I entorely agree with the premise of not giving anybody a hard time unless they want to be collectivly assholes.People on their own tend to be pretty good.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  Next