CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:53 am

I have a friend that has a wife that is a Newfy and when he gets pissed at the kids he turns into an instant Newfy. Some funny shit coming from an Albertan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:16 pm

hey.......my topic is still alive!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:01 pm

hey evan, you're in the PRes eh? Where you at?
I'm CSCOTR.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:15 pm

I'm in New Brunswick.

actually just getting a component transfer to ATIS tech in the Airforce.

currently in 1RNBR.
Royal New Brunswick Regiment.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:08 pm

"Keener" - Does everyone know what that is, or is it an AB/SK thing? Americans haven't got a clue what it is, so use caution if you're going to use it on one of them :P

m

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:39 am

Clunk Clunk:
Do you speak Low or High German?

natürlich kannst du auch hochdeutsch sprechen. :wink:

you already now high german ..

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:16 am

deutscher_jugendlicher, wir sollten uns mal über deine Signatur unterhalten.
Du bist nicht der einzige Deutsche hier.
Die erste Strophe unserer Nationalhymne ist verboten, wie du wissen solltest.

deutscher_jugendlicher, we have to talk about your signature :?
You are not the sole German in here.
You should know, the first verse of our hymn is forbidden.
:arrow: Deutschland, Deutschland über alles...

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:35 pm

Yes we do say aboot and eh... Living overseas, and working in an English School, I have had this pointed out several times.

However, the word that we pronounce correctly (only Canadians and British) is the word been. (I have been to Edmonton.) We say (BEAN). Only Americans seems to say (BIN). I can vouch for this having worked with many international teachers!

If we look at word with the same dipthong (vowel) combinations in the whole language, all words with EE are pronounced EA
Seen
keen
been
teen

So the next time some American starts busting your chops about your accent. Just ask them if they have every been west of Regina! Just another way to spot an imposter Canadian...LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:30 am

SeaLynx SeaLynx:
deutscher_jugendlicher, wir sollten uns mal über deine Signatur unterhalten.
Du bist nicht der einzige Deutsche hier.
Die erste Strophe unserer Nationalhymne ist verboten, wie du wissen solltest.

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles...

Ob es aber verboten sein soll...?

Das war ja nie vor 1933 als nazistisch/faschistisch angesehen, und ist kaum nationalistischer (im Grossen und Ganzen) als die Nationalhymnen andere Laender. Waere es im richtigen Kontext verstanden, haetten sie es nie verboten wollen.

... tja, meiner Meinung nach.

Just saying that it's not exactly a Nazi hymn, and was once regarded as a call to unity for all Germans. Its "Nazification" in public perception is a tragedy for a great song.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:33 am

redneckgirl redneckgirl:
Yes we do say aboot and eh... Living overseas, and working in an English School, I have had this pointed out several times.

Ontarians say "aboot" but the way it actually sounds is hardly spellable.

Albertans say "aboat", although most of us are unaware of it.

I hate that d*mn Molson's commercial.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:29 pm

jmjinks jmjinks:
Everyone has an accent. We just don't notice it because its the way we talk.

It's true for most parts in the world, i have found from living in Colorado, that most americans don't destinguish our accents little do. to them it seems as though we do not have one, at least a big one. Where as if we went anywhere else in the world that is not america then our accents would seem more prominent there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:01 pm

We Canadians have to be very vigilant, because there are a lot of imposters out there, including terrorists.
If you suspect that someone is trying to pass themselves off as Canadian, make the following statement, and the carefully note their reaction:

"Last night, I cashed my pogey and went to buy a mickey of C.C. at the beer parlour, but my skidoo got stuck in the muskeg. On my way back to the duplex, I was trying to deke out a deer, you see.
Damn Chinook melted everything. Then a Mountie snuck up behind me in a ghost car,and gave me an impaired.
I was S.O.L., sitting there dressed only in my Stanfields and a touque at the time, and the Mountie, he's all chippy and everything - calling me a "shit disturber" and what not.
What could I say, except "Sorry, eh?"

If the person you are talking to nods sympathetically, he/she's one of us. If, however, they stare at you in blank incomprehension, they are not a real Canadian. Have them reported to the authorities immediately. :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:04 pm

you guys are kinda right, right now I'm down under in Kiwiland( New Zealand) going to University. My friends down here are constantly saying that I've got to learn how to speak english. Biggest things are probably the good ole "about aboot" debate, I swear I don't say it but they're pretty sure that I do, Also Eh, I suppose i'm one of those canadians that don't say it all that often (well compared to my friends back home), but I still get pegged for it quite often. The things I find most annoying are probably the way that they pronounce tomato as "Toe mat O" and aluminum as "al u min i um" We're constantly arguing about the correct pronounciation, if you guys could give me any tips to win the war i'm all ears.

as for that little test narissa suggested... worked great, i said it to my friends here and i've never seen blanker looks, great fun!

8)

some of the differences i've noticed where i get blank stares of "what are you talking about " try these on for size

chesterfield
toque
2-4
ski-doo
deke
duplex
condo
mountie
pop
poutine
KD, Kraft dinner
Toonie
Loonie
Cheerios
Tim's
Mickey
twenty-sixer
runners
arena
zamboni
tylenol
hydro
close the lights
sweater
and many others that have already been mentioned

I can have lots of fun if i want to :D of course they can do the same sort of thing to me every so often, but i keep coming up with new ones even though i've been here near a year

Last edited by Quazsed on Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:24 pm

When I was in England a ladey told me she loved the Canadian accent. She says it sounds soothing and refined. She also said that she would love to come to Canada to learn "proper" english. British english has alot of slang. It's more harsh.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:05 am

i lived in Michigan for a couple years.... and yes i was told i had a Canadian accent. Get this i met this one lady and she told me I looked canadian ( i hadn't even said anything yet...lol) I also found that when i was speaking i became very aware of how many times i used, eh. I would also get the blank stare sometimes when using one of our many words as mentioned in previous replies....

here's one for ya'll: (an aside: what's the plural of y'all.........all ya'lls) a guy came up to my wife and asked her that... just thought it was funny

we say line up: like "man that line up is slow"

most Americans would say line - a line up refers to a Police indentification line up

i also agree with some of the comments: accents can be very regional

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  Next