CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:53 pm

pretty unbelievable but it's true. timmy's parent company is american. just when u thought there was something canada could call its own.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:57 pm

Thanks for the update Breek, but Tim Horton's was bought and paid for by Wendy's many moons ago. The head office is still in Oakville ON though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:28 pm

I think that Tim Hortons was bought out in 1996

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:28 pm

was it actually bought out though? i think they just have a majority share

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:53 pm

It was sold by Tim Horton's wife I had heard. And since that point she has been trying to get it back, but it'll never happen. It bugs me now that it is American owned. Because right after the take-over they no longer fresh-bake dougnuts on site. They are now all shipped in frozen. I remember if you asked really nice, the person serving would go and triple fill your boston creme or strawberry jelly doughnut.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:04 am

Tim Horton's is owned by Wendy's International Inc. As in Wendy's the burger joint. You need to buy shares in Wendy's International to own a piece of Timmy's.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:52 pm

Whoopidity doo! I couldn't care less.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:57 pm

Canadaka wrote:
was it actually bought out though? i think they just have a majority share

From the newspaper article I read, I was under the impression that it was bought out. Couldn't tell you for sure, though.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:01 am

I have the story on another thread somewhere but Ron Joyce. Tims original partner merged with Wendy's in the mid 90's and still runs the company.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:02 am

WarHawkster wrote:
Whoopidity doo! I couldn't care less.

Attachments:
whoppddo.jpg
whoppddo.jpg [ 16.1 KiB | Viewed 12429 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:44 pm

Tim Horton's wife did take Ron Joyce to court years ago. I believe it was in 1998 (give or take a year) apparently she sold the company for 1 Million dollars and felt, seeing how it grew to what it is, that she deserved more.

When she sold the company it was a few years after Tim died. She lost the court case, and unfortunately, a year later passed away.

Later, about around the turn of the century (2000) Ron Joyce and Dave Thomas merged their company's together. They both ran the companies seperately, as far as I know. Wendy's does not control any part of Tim Hortons at all. The merge was simply to help Tim Hortons into the States, as they had never done well there. However, I do believe they do own it.

Before Ron Joyce retired and sold his stocks, the new way of baking the products had already been on the test market. Tim Hortons tests all new ideas and products in actual stores for up to two years before introducing them to the chain across Canada and the U.S.

Although the new way of baking was at first not accepted by most, as no one likes change. They are definitely selling more donuts then before. People have gotten used to the taste.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:59 pm

If you want fresh baked donuts go eat at Krispy Kreme;) I always thought the donuts at Tim Hortons were average, but the coffee is my favorite!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:24 pm

DMP08 wrote:
It was sold by Tim Horton's wife I had heard. And since that point she has been trying to get it back, but it'll never happen. It bugs me now that it is American owned. Because right after the take-over they no longer fresh-bake dougnuts on site. They are now all shipped in frozen. I remember if you asked really nice, the person serving would go and triple fill your boston creme or strawberry jelly doughnut.

Still can, the donuts are 'decorated' on site. They fill and dip them, but they come frozen, undecorated and unglazed.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:30 pm

I heard it was 61% American owned...I could be wrong...It don't matter though... [drool] the coffee is awesome [drool] ...waaaaaaaay better than that starbucks bogwater! :mrgreen: yuk