This Is A Bloody Stupid Thread, Streaker!  25%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 8

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:59 am

I came across this awhile ago.... Not really sure if this is the best forum for this but what the heck!

$1:
TITLE: Post-, "Grapes," nuts and flakes: Coach's corner as post-colonial performance

AUTHOR(S): Knowles,-Richard-Paul

SOURCE: Modern-Drama. v. 38 Spring 1995 p. 123-30

ABSTRACT: Part of a special issue on postcolonialism. A discussion of "Coach's Corner" as postcolonial performance. This program, which takes place in the intermission between the first and second periods of telecast hockey games on Canada's national television network, features Don Cherry, the former coach of the Boston Bruins, and is hosted by Ron MacLean.Cherry's aggressively bad grammar and championing of old-fashioned and unfashionable causes have made for much of the show's popularity as well as its controversial quality. In terms of Canadian postcolonial analysis, Cherry seems to serve as a site at which a counter-hegemonic postcolonial nationalism focuses, but his performance can also be read as that of a particularly complex colonial dummy and a virtual object lesson in the dangers of such nationalism. Ultimately, Cherry represents as absurd, pitiable, or quaint the pretensions of a colonial subject to speak without mimicry in a voice of one's own.

DESCRIPTORS: Cherry,-Don; Television-programs-Sports; Postcolonialism-; Performance-theory; Nationalism-Canada; Television-programs-Canada

Link!

[huh] I'm not really sure what to make of this; it's all, like, heavy and stuff....

So what do you think of Grapes? Is it time for him to retire :?:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:29 am

I like Don, he is entertaining and his unabashed love of country is genuine. That being said I really think he should stick to hockey and hockey related topics as that is what he knows.
As for the "dangers of such nationalism", apparently to love your country regardless of it's actions or inactions is a bad thing. :roll: Don may not agree with our governments actions but he still believes in Canada as a nation. I don't see anything wrong with that. I personally don't like the liberal government, for reasons that have been stated many times over in many threads, but I still believe that Canada is a good nation with the POTENTIAL to be a great nation.
Anyways, to answer your question, Don should not retire, because most Saturdays he is the only entertaining part of any Leafs broadcast! :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:56 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
I like Don, he is entertaining and his unabashed love of country is genuine. That being said I really think he should stick to hockey and hockey related topics as that is what he knows.
As for the "dangers of such nationalism", apparently to love your country regardless of it's actions or inactions is a bad thing. :roll: Don may not agree with our governments actions but he still believes in Canada as a nation. I don't see anything wrong with that. I personally don't like the liberal government, for reasons that have been stated many times over in many threads, but I still believe that Canada is a good nation with the POTENTIAL to be a great nation.
Anyways, to answer your question, Don should not retire, because most Saturdays he is the only entertaining part of any Leafs broadcast! :lol:

ROTFL

That was a great post, 2Cdo. R=UP

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:46 pm

what will becomre of coaches corner and hockey night in Canada if the CBC is on strike or is locked out or what ever the situation with them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:35 pm

Grapes and HNIC are back!

$1:
Oct. 8, 2005. 09:06 PM
Has Grapes mellowed during layoff?

Don Cherry was relatively restrained in his comments, if not his clothing, on his first appearance on Coach's Corner in 16 months, and he softened his stance on players wearing visors.

Cherry has raised eyebrows and ire during his tenure on Hockey Night in Canada for his opinions on everything from defence policy and national unity to hockey fights.

But in his first Coach's Corner since June 7, 2004, the 71-year-old stayed away from the NHL lockout that wiped out an entire season and kept him off CBC's airwaves, and didn't touch on his employer's lockout that threatened to extend his absence until a tentative deal was reached recently.

Cherry, clad in a magenta and black tartan jacket and white tie with small black Maple Leafs, restricted his observations to topics such as Wayne Gretzky coaching in Phoenix and Daniel Alfredsson's haircut.

But he backtracked on a comment he made on Jan. 24, 2004 when he suggested that players who wear visors were wimps and mostly ``French guys" or Europeans.

That prompted the Official Languages Commissioner to launch a probe of the CBC, which denounced Cherry's remarks and imposed a seven-second delay during his segment.

"I never, ever said 'don't wear a visor,"' Cherry said Saturday. "Never did I say that.

"What I said was if you're wearing a visor and you're going for safety, OK. But don't go around being a tough guy."

While Cherry's bombast wasn't rusty, his voice was as it cracked several times.

Cherry said he was full of admiration for Gretzky taking over as head coach of the Coyotes.

"He's got to get (Brett) Hull, he's got to motivate Hull somehow to get him going," Cherry said.

Results from the vote on the CBC labour deal were expected Sunday.

If accepted, 5,500 employees were to start returning to work on Tuesday.

Link

Grapes?!? Mellowing?!? 8O