CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:11 pm

I moved from NYC to St. John's NL for my now husband who works offshore there. I have spent a year here and I am ready to move. We want him to be able to keep his job, so i'm thinking our best bet is Nova Scotia. Halfiax is at least a city, and the real estate within 35 minutes isn't too expensive price wise. For the same price as our house here we were looking at double the house and double the land.
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice or anything about Halfiax and the surrounding areas to help me make a decision to move.
Thank You!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:09 am

St. John's is one of the prettiest cities in Canada. Why move?

Halifax is nice, but is much more hectic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:36 am

I don't know Newfoundland at all but some things that I didn't fully account for when I moved to the area are:

- HST at 15% on everything
- deed transfer tax when buying a home
- high property taxes in Halifax County
- high cost of electricity in Nova Scotia
- high cost of gasoline in Nova Scotia

For creating this economic juggernaut, provincial politicians have a very rich pension plan - for every dollar they contribute, Nova Scotians pay $22.

If there ever comes a time when a career change is in order, there are no jobs.

It isn't a rosy picture.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:54 am

Thanks

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:11 am

NYYkole NYYkole:
I moved from NYC to St. John's NL for my now husband who works offshore there. I have spent a year here and I am ready to move. We want him to be able to keep his job, so i'm thinking our best bet is Nova Scotia. Halfiax is at least a city, and the real estate within 35 minutes isn't too expensive price wise. For the same price as our house here we were looking at double the house and double the land.
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice or anything about Halfiax and the surrounding areas to help me make a decision to move.
Thank You!

Halifax is no better than St John's, and in some ways worse.
Also travel back and forth can be iffy in the winter.

Oh wait, some dumbass necro.
Nevermind.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:52 am

martin14 martin14:

Oh wait, some dumbass necro.
Nevermind.

Yeah, you gotta keep your eyes open at all times......I usually check out the name first, if I don't recognize it I check the dates...... :idea:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:45 am

As someone who lives in NL, let me admit that there's a lot more to do in Halifax than St. John's, you can drive to Ontario or the US without a LONG ferry ride, the weather is better (less snow and fog, earlier spring), and house prices are OK. A few of my friends here on the Rock were discussing the two towns last year and nobody wanted to retire to SJ.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:03 am

But in Halifax, the city sidewalks roll up at 10pm. After 9, you can't go anywhere to get a pizza or drinks!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:00 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
But in Halifax, the city sidewalks roll up at 10pm. After 9, you can't go anywhere to get a pizza or drinks!

You've never been to Halifax. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:10 pm

martin14 martin14:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Exactly. Halifax, depending on who you ask has most bars per block of any City in Canada and when you combine the extremely high number of restaurants and donair shops you've got a city that is always open for business at least till the we hours of the morning.

BTW St John's has the most bars per capita but Halifax is a close second.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:11 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
martin14 martin14:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Exactly. Halifax, depending on who you ask has most bars per block of any City in Canada and when you combine the extremely high number of restaurants and donair shops you've got a city that is always open for business at least till the we hours of the morning.

BTW St John's has the most bars per capita but Halifax is a close second.

I was in Halifax a few years ago for my cousin's wedding. Plane got in at 8:30, I got my rental and made my way to the hotel on the east side of the harbour, directly across from - at the time - 281 in dock. By the time I get there, and not having an in flight meal, I was starved.

Not one place along the waterfront was open, and I had to phone 3 pizza places to find one that was delivering at 10:00 pm. Not a bar, restaurant, food stand, anything was open.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:35 am

A few years ago, I stayed at Bishop's Landing, opposite Alexander Keith's, with English relatives as the clueless local guide and we ate royally at night in the local restaurants and pubs. Marvellous views from our apartments across the harbour. Previously, I'd only ever seen NS at high speed rushing to the ferry at North Sydney and was very impressed. The biggest downside was the roadkill - so many dead raccoons on the roads.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:15 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
the east side of the harbour,

Dartmouth ain't Halifax. :lol:
Next time, cross the bridge, stay close to the harbour.

Barrington street will set you straight.