CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:17 pm

Hi all. I'm an American. I'm 16 at the moment. I am having serious thoughts of moving to Canada. First off, I like how the government runs there and when I visited Vancouver, BC. I noticed NO crime or cops for that matter, It seems like a pleasent city to live in, for such a big city. I have researched the workings of canadian politics and government. I have to say that I am liking it better thusfar. I am trying to get good grades and pass high school, lol, and get into a college after high school and get a basic degree to better meet the immigration requirements under the Education/Skilled Worker catagory. I would apply for canadian citizenship after living there legally for 3 years and keep my US citizenship (Dual - Citizenship). At that I have a few questions:

Are there any Americans who have become Canadians that can give advice?

Is there anything more that I need to know?

How is the job market over there compared to that of the US?

Last but not least: Does Canada really kick ass? :D

THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO REPLY!

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:28 pm

drew923 drew923:
Hi all. I'm an American. I'm 16 at the moment. I am having serious thoughts of moving to Canada. First off, I like how the government runs there and when I visited Vancouver, BC. I noticed NO crime or cops for that matter, It seems like a pleasent city to live in, for such a big city. I have researched the workings of canadian politics and government. I have to say that I am liking it better thusfar. I am trying to get good grades and pass high school, lol, and get into a college after high school and get a basic degree to better meet the immigration requirements under the Education/Skilled Worker catagory. I would apply for canadian citizenship after living there legally for 3 years and keep my US citizenship (Dual - Citizenship). At that I have a few questions:

Are there any Americans who have become Canadians that can give advice?

Is there anything more that I need to know?

How is the job market over there compared to that of the US?

Last but not least: Does Canada really kick ass? :D

THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO REPLY!

Hmm, I hope your not basing moving to Canada on the fact that you saw no crime, because I live in the US and I haven't seen any serious crimes personally. I know they exist, but they exist everywhere, I mean Canada isn't crime-free. Other than that, it's pretty cool, and since you have visited I'm sure you have an idea, plus you can find info on economic statistics and other stats on nationmaster.com and cia.gov

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:33 pm

GREAT stats site (nationmaster) Johnnybgood. Thanks for the info...very helpful. Still open for advice from others aswell. I'm not basing moving on crime rate, although according to nationmaster. the Canadian crime rate is EXTREMELY lower than that of the US (for Assults anyway)

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:52 pm

drew923 drew923:
GREAT stats site (nationmaster) Johnnybgood. Thanks for the info...very helpful. Still open for advice from others aswell. I'm not basing moving on crime rate, although according to nationmaster. the Canadian crime rate is EXTREMELY lower than that of the US (for Assults anyway)

Yeah, but as a fellow American, we all know that there's place where the crime is high, and places where it's low. I mean I wouldn't go into south-central LA gang nieghborhoods, you know. Just have to know there's places you don't go at night. Canada has some hot women though. Since I was born in Chicago, it's always nice to be in an area where it snows(which is why I can't stand Texas, although it's become home).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:55 pm

says on your location, "was Thunder Bay, Ontario, now Austin Texas." so, you were born an American in Chicago, moved to Ontario (became a citizen of canada?) and decided to move back to the US (Austin, TX?)?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:58 pm

Last edited by sk1d on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:05 pm

well, sk1d. A major reason i want ot go to Canada is the current politics. :( But you do have your points. What you say is true, but then again US jobs are getting shipped overseas for cheap labor, and i hear statistically that canada has more labor jobs avaliable. That's what i'm into, good old fashioned work. I couldn't sit at a desk and crunch numbers all day :(

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:07 pm

drew923 drew923:
says on your location, "was Thunder Bay, Ontario, now Austin Texas." so, you were born an American in Chicago, moved to Ontario (became a citizen of canada?) and decided to move back to the US (Austin, TX?)?

Nah, I was only there a few months with a friend, never became a citizen. I dunno, I figure why live there, I want to fight the system within the US, you know. Plus, deep down, even though I despise alot of my countries policies, I still like my country. What out country would go so far as to cut their dead presidents faces into a mountain(note: I dunno if any other countries have done something on the same level)? Canada's cities are beautiful, I mean Coal Harbour at night, Canada Place, the fact that you don't have to fear a terrorist nuke going off in your city, how clean the cities are, at least compared to American cities, and the fact that alot of Canadians are really nice unless you start to put down their country, are all good reasons to enjoy the country, but I dunno, the United States feels to much like my home country, and all my family is here. I mean Canada is great, but there's something unique about the US also, and of course I could go on with my patriotic love of the US(haha, I'm sure tons of people would want to hear that)but I'll just leave at at what I said.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:10 pm

sooner or later, those jobs are going to get shipped over seas too, canada's usually a little behind the states

last i heard, they don't make any clothes at all in canada, it'll only be a matter of time untill its all gone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:13 pm

Johnnybgood: Of course, i too feel love for my country, i wouldn't be "abandoning" it, i have my whole family here after at. :D I would also be keeping my US citizenship. And would still be very involved in the US. It's just, what i've read about canada, and my experience with visiting, it's starting to feel more like home to me as the us does for you. I don't know, lol, I'm a "foreignist" as i call it, anyway, anything foreign or different interests me.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:17 pm

drew923 drew923:
Johnnybgood: Of course, i too feel love for my country, i wouldn't be "abandoning" it, i have my whole family here after at. :D I would also be keeping my US citizenship. And would still be very involved in the US. It's just, what i've read about canada, and my experience with visiting, it's starting to feel more like home to me as the us does for you. I don't know, lol, I'm a "foreignist" as i call it, anyway, anything foreign or different interests me.

That's cool. You gotta do what you have to do, I mean it's your life, you know. Do whatever you think will make you happy. Just research it some and all that. You still are 16, and your mind can always change, I know mine has since I was 16. You only live once, and that's cool that you want to explore places outside of the US, but you also have to remember that there's TONS of places to live within the US which could be pretty cool. Lifes too short....

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:18 pm

That's not very nice, Sk1d...we should share our country.

The taxes here are higher, but we get more for them. Most importantly we get our medical care for the taxes we pay. It is, per capita, much cheaper than what you pay in the US overall.

Hospital waiting lists are long, but that is being addressed and varies from province to province and within provinces depending on urban/rural population. Overall the Canadian system is in no more trouble than the American one.

The politics are changing too, Drew. We have a minority government right now and there is movement towards a system of proportional representation, which has given the people more of a voice in other places where it's been tried.

Our crime rate is lower than the USA's, especially when it comes to violent crime. Some of that is due to our lower population and some is attributable to our social safety net.

Canada is far from perfect, but it is different from the United States...almost a hybrid between European countries and the US. Come on up and spend some time here. Travel around as much of the country as possible. I think you'll like it.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:20 pm

My girlfiend moved to Canada to goto school here at UBC in vancouver, because our post secondary schools are so much better, you could consider coming to Vancouver for school aswell.

there are shirts made in Canada, the Canadaka.nt ones are.
Several of my teachers at school came from the US and woulnd't move back, life isn't all about money.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:23 pm

Yea, I will have to research it more to make sure I am making a good desision and not some, horrible mistake. 8O This is after-all a life altering desision I am talking about. I'm sure my end desision will be for the best, and that i will in fact probly move to Canada.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:24 am

It is a huge decision but it's not a permanent one necessarily. I moved to the US from Canada and I'm currently a permanent resident. Now, I can decide to become a citizen (dual of course) or I can remain a permanent resident. It took 4.5 years for me to get to the permanent residency point which gave me plenty of time to think about whether I want to become a citizen and if I want to stay in the US. I would imagine you would have a similiar time frame to live in Canada as a permanent resident before you decide whether or not you want to commit to being a citizen.
Oh...FYI if you become a dual citizen you will pay income tax in both Canada and the USA because the USA taxes it's citizens regardless of where you live in the world. (Of course, you have to make a certain amount first) :wink:

Also, I'm planning on moving back to Canada. I just like it better. It's a personal taste thing.