Yes  17%  [ 16 ]
No  69%  [ 64 ]
No, but make it more like CPAC or PBS  14%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 93

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:31 pm

Should the CBC be shut down? What do we get from the CBC that we don't get from private broadcasters? Is the budget of over 1 billion worth what we are getting?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:36 pm

$1:
HALIFAX -- The foul-mouthed Trailer Park Boys kept it fairly clean at the East Coast Music Awards but the same could not be said for Mary Walsh.

The Newfoundland comedian shocked the crowd at last night's gala when she called the federal Conservatives "the arse-lickers of Satan" before introducing a performer.

Just imagine the caterwalling of the media fishwives if someone at the CBC said something about the Liberals being corrupt. Aside from being fired, we'd never hear the end of it.

Yes. The CBC has exceeded it's mandate and is competing with private industry.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Time to sell off the CBC

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:42 pm

In a strictly economic point of view, we have countless networks in Canada now that span the country. All of these do the same job as the CBC without taking tax money. If HNIC was ever to leave the CBC it would be snatched up quicker than a donut at a weight watchers meeting, leaving the CBC in my opinion totally pointless.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:45 pm

Even the "friends of the CBC" have noticed this disturbing trend.
"Oh dear, what shall we do. The only other stations we get on Saltspring Island are rock, popular music and those dreadful American stations. Whatever is a progressive artist to do" :roll:

$1:
In the group's last fundraising letter, Friends president Ian Morrison writes of the “incompetence, neglect and recklessness” of the CBC management, as well as the “outright hostility” of the Conservative government toward the CBC.

It goes on to list examples of the “appallingly deficient vision” among CBC executives, such as the loss of broadcasting rights for the 2010 and 2012 Olympics and the pre-empting of The National in Ontario and Quebec to broadcast the ill-fated American reality show The One. Many of the criticisms were outlined in a September Friends report card in which Mr. Rabinovitch received a failing grade.

“From dumbed-down news reporting to Hollywood imports to decimated local programming – this is not the CBC that our country badly expects right now,” writes Mr. Morrison. “The good news is that many hundreds of talented and dedicated creative professionals still do wonderful work beneath and despite inept senior management.”

Fishwrap

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:21 pm

I think CBC radio is far better quallity then CBC television. Though i don't think CBC should be disolved I think it should be privatised either as a corperation, co-op, or from donation like PBS.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:25 pm

I don't know about the CBC itself, but its French alter-ego, SRC, happens to be my favorite channel. I'm not sure it's worth keeping anymore, but I have and allways will have a hard time accepting its eventual demise or privatization.

Hard to know something you like is truely hopeless.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:33 pm

In British Columbia we have the Knowledge Network that just relies on private donations and almost delivers more than the CBC and has no adverts. Perhaps if it went back to good quality programming then I wouldn't mind having it. I don't think it should try and be some big flashy media source like NBC or something it can't be done and no one is going to pay for it. Instead should focus maybe on learning and more mindful programmes and provide a more intellectual purpose something many of the other networks seem to lack.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:18 pm

I grew up in Detroit and all I watched was CBC. It was my fav channel as a child. I miss it! Mr. Dressup... they had such great childrens progarmming in the 80's! it would be a shame to see the end of such a long term Canadian Institution!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:28 pm

To whomever said that the CBC should not be using tax monies to compete with private companies...bravo!

People would go apeshit if the government decided to make CanaCar in order to maintain Canada's autonomy in automobiles in the face of increased global competition.

Why is the CBC tolerated in the same breath? There may be some very good reasons why...let's hear 'em!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:33 pm

My only concern if the CBC shuts down is....what's going to happen to Hockey Night in Canada?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:34 pm

well years ago, when it started were they competing with private co. then??

in the beginning if they were the end all be it of Canadian broadcasting, its understandable that they were doing it with taxes, but now it's in a competitive market things def have to change...could they could just sell shares of stock? Or raise money like PBS, which is run off some taxes and mostly private contributions from millionaires...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:36 pm

camerontech camerontech:
My only concern if the CBC shuts down is....what's going to happen to Hockey Night in Canada?

another network would make a bid for the acct!

:lol: don't worry hocky night aint going anywhere!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:21 pm

Cbazy Cbazy:
camerontech camerontech:

another network would make a bid for the acct!

:lol: don't worry hocky night aint going anywhere!

yes but, will they still have the song, will Ron Mclean still do it with Don Cherry.

The worst is for those people who live in the sticks and can't get cable tv, the only channel some of them get is the CBC....will they be forced to get satellite to watch HNIC?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:33 pm

I don't like my tax dollars being used to purchase broadcast rights for American programs.