Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:35 am

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
$1:
Fifty years ago, the Canadian music industry was essentially non-existent. Well, at least compared to the US or the UK. Yes, we had bands who played gigs and recorded singles and albums. But there wasn’t much of an infrastructure to support a domestic scene.There were too few recordings studios. There was a lack of experienced promoters, managers, agents, producers, and engineers. There only a tiny number of record labels. With no other alternative, the best and the brightest decamped for America in hopes of finding success. Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, and Paul Anka were all part of a worrisome brain drain of talent. For those left behind, it was pretty discouraging.Canadian radio stations weren’t helping, either. There was a perception that Canadian audiences did not want to hear Canadian music because…well, because it wasn’t very good. It was inferior to all the music coming from America and England. It just wasn’t worth anyone’s time.However, there were those diehards who believed that it just wasn’t right that our musical culture and music scenes (such as they were) should be overwhelmed by foreign powers. Canadian music was getting smothered in the crib. Something needed to be done–and five decades ago, something was done, beginning on January 18, 1971.It was difficult, expensive, and, in some quarters, wildly unpopular. But it was all worth it because Canada is now a global musical powerhouse. This is the history of fifty years of CanCon.Songs heard on this show:
Our Lady Peace, Starseed
Tragically Hip, Fifty Mission cap
The Diodes, Red Rubber Ball
Lenny Kravitz, American Woman
Eddie Vedder, Hard Sun
Pop Evil, Trenches
Tea Party, Temptation
Arcade Fire, Reflektor

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:48 am

For every Drake "Hotline Bling", there is a Bryan Adams "Summer of 69". ;)

But I like that I can sing to The Hips' "Boots and Hearts" and my USian friends don't know it. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:32 am

Lenny Kravitz is American.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:34 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

But I like that I can sing to The Hips' "Boots and Hearts" and my USian friends don't know it. :lol:

My favorite Hip song would be Nautical Disaster. But sometimes sing Bobcaygeon when in calls with my less fortunate American friends.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:57 am

llama66 llama66:
Lenny Kravitz is American.

But the song is Canadian. Kravitz just did the (arguably) better version of it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:01 am

llama66 llama66:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

My favorite Hip song would be Nautical Disaster. But sometimes sing Bobcaygeon when in calls with my less fortunate American friends.

It's hard to pick a favourite Hip song. It really depends on the moment. I like driving to "Wheat Kings", I like "Boots and Hearts" around a campfire, "Gus the Polar Bear" when I'm high, and "Locked in the Trunk of a Car" when kids are walking on my lawn.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:15 am

And I’m partial to Pigeon Camera and a low at High Dough

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:29 pm

Eddie Vedder? [huh]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:52 pm

Everything I do, I do it for you- Brian Adams.

Not CANCON.

Why? The lyrics collaborators were 2/3rds not Canadian.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:02 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Eddie Vedder? [huh]

Like Lenny Kravitz, Eddie is singing a Canadian song. Hard Son was originally done in 1989 by Gordon Peterson. Eddie's version did so well that Peterson's album Big Harvest was re released in 2009. Peterson expressed his gratitude by filing a lawsuit against Eddie as well as Universal Music. He was demanding that all proceeds from Eddie's version should go to him.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:41 pm

What about Tom Cochrane? He's one my favourite Canadian musicians.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:53 pm

Oh Jeez, none of you live thru every 3rd tune on the radio was "Big Yellow Taxi" for 3 years?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:56 am

Strutz Strutz:

Yup. But like 'Summer of 69', you can only hear 'Life is a Highway' so many time per day before you want to just start wearing hearing protection. ;)

herbie herbie:
Oh Jeez, none of you live thru every 3rd tune on the radio was "Big Yellow Taxi" for 3 years?

Heard it yesterday. Nothing's changed.

Doesn't mean it isn't a good song though. ;)

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:45 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Strutz Strutz:

Yup. But like 'Summer of 69', you can only hear 'Life is a Highway' so many time per day before you want to just start wearing hearing protection. ;)

Your post brings up one of the drawbacks of Canadian Content. People get tired of hearing the same shit over and over. Even if its a great song, people get tired of hearing it every hour on the hour. I have heard it said that content laws are a major factor to everyone hating on Nickelback. I have never heard a bad song from them. They had a good sound. They sold lots of records and made lots of money. People tired of them start a movement to hate on them. Social media turns a local fad into a world wide movement. I do not see where the band ever actually DID anything to deserve that much hate.

Corporate controlled overplay can hurt careers as well. Back in the 70's we had independent radio stations. People actually got to call in and request songs. The people actually had some say in who got a push to the top. The stations could not ignore the people. In the late 70's/early 80's national corporations started buying up the independent stations. The request lines disappeared. Big corporations got to decide who got the push, and who didn't. Big corporations determined the format. Ironically enough (as this a Canadian forum) RUSH addressed this very problem in their song: the spirit of radio.

I remember Bob Seger being on top of the world. His work WAS fantastic! The problem was that his songs were being played every 30 minutes on corporate radio. People got tired of it. I remember being at a skating rink. The DJ put on a Bob Seger song, and everyone quit skating. They just stood still on the floor booing until the DJ changed the song. It almost sounds sacrilegious today as Bob is one of the greatest rockers of all time, but it happened. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:18 pm

Strutz Strutz:

R=UP

The Symphony Sessions with Red Rider is one of the favourite albums of all time.