Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:45 pm

daVinci daVinci:
This topic comes up alot on all forums I am on. I find it interesting that the US has a monument to Tecumseh (in the Smithsonian, I believe), while Canada does not.

I believe the massacre of Prophets Town was a huge reason for his involvement.

We named a mountain Tecumseh,that's a pretty good monument.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:41 pm

Where is that mountain Ziggy?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:27 pm

right behind me.

My back yard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:41 pm

Isaac Brock (25th greatest Canadian) has several monuments despite the fact he was British. Tecumseh and him were good friends who greatly admired one another. If you're interested in the War of 1812 at all, I would suggest reading up on both of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:04 am

JadeoftheNorth JadeoftheNorth:
Isaac Brock (25th greatest Canadian) has several monuments despite the fact he was British. Tecumseh and him were good friends who greatly admired one another. If you're interested in the War of 1812 at all, I would suggest reading up on both of them.

Blakiston,Palliser,Livingstone,most of the mountains or mountain ranges where I live are named after great explorers. The "Livingstone" range is my backyard(Dr. Livingstone I presume)Still reading up on Tecumseh. Not much on the net about him.
Are you talking about Chief Tecumseh?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:09 am

$1:
WORDS OF TECUMSEH
"The way, the only way to stop this evil is for the

red man to unite in claiming a common and

equal right in the land, as it was first, and

should be now, for it was never divided.

We gave them forest-clad mountains and

valleys full of game, and in return what did they

give our warriors and our women? Rum,

trinkets and a grave.

Brothers--My people wish for peace; the red

men all wish for peace; but where the white

people are, there is no peace for them, except it

be on the bosom of our mother. Where today

are the Peoquot?

Where today are the Narrangansett,the

Mohican, the Pakanoket, and many other once

powerful tribes of our people?

They have vanished before the avarice and the

oppression of the White Man, as snow before a

summer sun."

"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your
heart.
Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their
view, and demand that they respect yours. love your life,
perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make
your life long and its purpose in the service of your people.
Prepare a noble death song for the day
death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always
give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a
friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect
to all people and grovel to none. When you arise in the
morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If
you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in
yourself. Abuse no one and nothing, for abuse turns the wise ones
to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When it comes your
time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the
fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray
for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different
way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:14 am

$1:
Prepare a noble death song for the day
death song for the day when you go over the great divide.

Tecumseh mountain is on the continental divide.
I did the guide thing for many years when not mining.Click my www link at the bottom to see my sisters place that most of these explorers stayed at while busting into BC in it's wild days.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:39 pm

So, can we now end this myth that Canada burned down the White House?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:35 pm

Welsh Welsh:
So, can we now end this myth that Canada burned down the White House?

Thank you.
The "Brits." burnt it.

$1:

As one of those resident historian types here, I'd say you got the gist of it, especially the rather amusing if insulting name the Brits gave the battle.

The prepared dinner the Brits sat down to at the President's Mansion aka The Pink House (remember it didn't get the name White House until after it was torched, the white being the white wash used to cover the scorch marks) was supposed to be the "victory dinner" for the US troops after they "sent the invaders back to their ships."

As the Brits were the "victors" and as the US generals and political types were otherwise occupied that evening still "withdrawing in great haste" and as the dinner was already cooked why let it go to waste. They ate it prior to engaging in a little post meal arson.

The only "Canadian connection" with this campaign is that the fleet stopped in Halifax on the way back to Europe and the commander of the troops, General Ross, who was killed at Baltimore isburied there.

More
$1:
The burning of Washington did not, IIRC, involve any Canadian troops although this is a persistent Canadian myth. As far as I know, the troops were all British Army, Royal Marines and sailors landed on the Maryland coast by the Royal Navy. They marched inland, scattered the hasty US defense at the Battle of Bladensburg (rudely referred to by the British as the "Bladensburg Races" due the speed with which US troops buggered off), then got to work making a mess of Washington.

link for u

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:01 pm

It's nice to see this whole thing cleared up once and for all. I've heard about Canadians burning down the whitehouse a few times, from themselves, and I never really believed it. You know, I think we should all just let the whole thing go, because I'd like to see the brits invade the US and a victory dinner at the white house before burning it down nowadays :lol: . Not to start some big hypothetical war talk, but the war of 1812, the burning of the white house, and etc happened around a couple hundred years ago, yet we all seem to always argue about it like it means anything today.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:10 pm

I think the reason that Canadians enjoy hearing and telling the story is because of how big and powerful the US army is now. We like to remember the fact that Britsh North America (Canada) was more powerful than the US at some point. And Americans don't like the story for obvious reasons. There will likely be a never ending depate along the lines of 'But it was the Brits that did it ...' and Canada did not exist as a nation at the time, we were part of the British Empire. So, in historical terms, by reffering to the actions of the British in North America before Confederation, we are really talking about ourselves.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:03 pm

Short Short:
Britain stopped the practice of searching American ships, and abducting sailors a day before America declared war on Britain... The abduction of American sailors was a nice little excuse for America to declare war, and expand. The US wanted Canada, Florida, and Native Territories, and the War of 1812 was their excuse.

Looks like a pattern in use even today! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:40 pm

Johnnybgoodaaaaa Johnnybgoodaaaaa:
It's nice to see this whole thing cleared up once and for all. I've heard about Canadians burning down the whitehouse a few times, from themselves, and I never really believed it. You know, I think we should all just let the whole thing go, because I'd like to see the brits invade the US and a victory dinner at the white house before burning it down nowadays :lol: . Not to start some big hypothetical war talk, but the war of 1812, the burning of the white house, and etc happened around a couple hundred years ago, yet we all seem to always argue about it like it means anything today.

I think we should go down to the White House and secretly place a giant whoopy-cushion on the heli-pad so that when the helicopter lands, everyone in it will accuse each other of farting. The whole US government will spiral into utter kaos after that big fart and the people will take over and bring down the elite ... and ... the USA will be happy and everyone will wanna be an American again like in the 70's.

What do yuh all think, eh?

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:47 pm

i'm sure that nobody will ever dissagree with you on that one mcpuck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:27 am

They actually called it the "Pink" house?

One rumour laid to rest and another surfaces.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 ... 22  Next