Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:48 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
HMS St Lawrence kept the US fleet in harbour once it arrived. The naval side of the war is quite intersting and I will be buying Andrew Lambert's book on it all.

FT4, you are well up on this!

I rather thought Patrick Obrien captured the mood in his fictional series on Jack Aubrey after the successive defeats of the British frigates. Morose and grossly disappointed, each action was seen in almost chivalric terms with battle being offered and returned. How Captain Dacres thought taking his Guerriere with 18 pounder and 2/3 of Constitution's crew was a good idea can be summed up by both the belief that the RN's frigates under its experienced commanders could easily overcome larger ships with larger guns and larger crews. The expectation was a fair fight was fine, but an unfair fight resulting Ina victory was most honorable. Hence, undermanned and under gunned frigates rolled against their US counterparts and were sorted out handily. It wasn't until Broke and the Shannon, who sent notes in to Lawrence on the Chesapeke offering ship to ship single combat, scored the first notable victory did the British pull themselves out of their torpor.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Yea, I read that Broke was quite the revolutionary. He thought that a well trained, disciplined crew that was treated fairly would actually fight better.

Now imgagine that!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:46 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Yea, I read that Broke was quite the revolutionary. He thought that a well trained, disciplined crew that was treated fairly would actually fight better.

Now imgagine that!

Yep. Worked out rather well.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:03 pm

I'm sure as a rampant fish-head you've watched Master Commander. Love that movie and a great leadership lesson.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:15 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
I'm sure as a rampant fish-head you've watched Master Commander. Love that movie and a great leadership lesson.

Great movie - nothing to do with the books save for the names. Kinda like Braveheart.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:21 pm

I've never read those books. I quite liked the Sharp books.

The movie is just great. Cranked up high with 7-8 speakers. Oh yea.

"Right at 'em Mr Mowat."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:29 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:

"Right at 'em Mr Mowat."

Having read both, Obrien is so very much superior. Frankly, I liked the Sharpe prequels best when he's in India. Far better writing. The stuff in Spain was the equivalent of a pusser harlequin.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

"Right at 'em Mr Mowat."

Having read both, Obrien is so very much superior. Frankly, I liked the Sharpe prequels best when he's in India. Far better writing. The stuff in Spain was the equivalent of a pusser harlequin.

I just tried reading Cornell's 'Azincourt'. It was a right load of old crap.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:01 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
The Yanks will send aircraft, boats and tanks out with the most and biggest guns they can get.

A friend of mine who was a nuclear machinists mate on the USS Toledo has a favorite saying:

There's no kill like overkill!

The B-25 Mitchell is a fine example of your observation.

That's four .50 caliber machine guns and a 3" cannon.

Some B-25's of this time also had 'blisters' on either side of the cockpit with two more .50 caliber guns in each - so they could hit Japanese ships with a cannon and eight .50 caliber guns. And then they'd bomb it, too. And no one bitched at an aircrew for ever using 'too much' ammunition.

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:55 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
HMS St Lawrence kept the US fleet in harbour once it arrived. The naval side of the war is quite intersting and I will be buying Andrew Lambert's book on it all.

FT4, you are well up on this!

Thanks EB

At the start of the War of 1812 General Isaac Brock said that the fate of Canada rested ultimatley on Britain's retaining control of the Great Lakes.

During the construction of the frigate HMS Sir Isaac Brock at Fort York spies kept the American military informed on it's progress.

It's anticipated completion date helped influence Commodore Chauncey to attack York instead of Kingston.

General Roger Sheaffe decided to make a strategic withdrawl to Kingston ordering the York militia to torch the frigate on the stocks.

Commodore Chauncey did capture the 10 gun brig Duke of Glouchester as well as a great quantity of cannon, musket and amunition. Commodore Oliver Hazzard Perry's victory on Lake Erie was partly due to this booty.

Commodore Chauncey's choice of attacking York instead of Kingston based on information spies told him probably saved Lake Ontario for the British.

Few came out ahead during the War of 1812 but one man that stands out was America's first multimillionare John Jacob Astor (American Fur Co) at the time of his death he was worth $10 million $115 Billion in todays market so not everyone was suffering... :o

Last edited by FurTrader4 on Wed May 23, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:58 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:
The Yanks will send aircraft, boats and tanks out with the most and biggest guns they can get.

A friend of mine who was a nuclear machinists mate on the USS Toledo has a favorite saying:

There's no kill like overkill!

The B-25 Mitchell is a fine example of your observation.

That's four .50 caliber machine guns and a 3" cannon.

Some B-25's of this time also had 'blisters' on either side of the cockpit with two more .50 caliber guns in each - so they could hit Japanese ships with a cannon and eight .50 caliber guns. And then they'd bomb it, too. And no one bitched at an aircrew for ever using 'too much' ammunition.

How true...nice pic Bart [B-o]

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:38 pm

I subscribe to CMH and get notices like this one, which I thought was appropriate for anyone in the area and that's actually interested.

The War of 1812 on the Niagara Frontier: A Battlefield Tour - 27 May 2012

The War of 1812 on the Niagara Frontier: A Battlefield Tour Presented by the Laurier Centre for Military Strategic and Disarmament Studies
Sunday 27 May 2012 - Register Online Now at http://www.canadianmilitaryhistory.ca!

Congress 2012 starts this coming Saturday as thousands of academics, students and policy-makers make their way to Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Waterloo for the largest interdisciplinary conference in Canada.

In conjunction with this event, the Laurier Centre for Military Strategic and Disarmament Studies has organized a guided tour to the sites of the War of 1812 in the Niagara and surrounding region.

The tour will include visits to Fort George, Queenston Heights and Fort Erie. These are the most prominent sites both in the events of 1812-1814 and in commemoration of the war to the present day. Terry Copp, director of the Laurier Centre and a leader in battlefield and war and memory studies, will be the facilitator. We will be departing from the Laurier Centre, 232 King Street North, Waterloo, at 9 am and returning at approximately 6.30 pm, Sunday 27 May 2012.

The cost, $45 per person, includes transportation by motor coach, sandwich lunch, and admission fees to the sites. If numbers warrant, we will organize a group dinner (cost not covered by the tour package) in Waterloo to follow the tour.

TO REGISTER: Visit the page at canadianmilitaryhistory.ca and reserve your spot by filling out the registration form. Payment can be made either through PayPal or on the day. Registrations will be accepted until 26 May.

For more information, or questions,
please contact Caitlin McWilliams
[email protected]
519-884-0710 x.2080

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:34 am

[quote="Regina"]I subscribe to CMH and get notices like this one, which I thought was appropriate for anyone in the area and that's actually interested.

The War of 1812 on the Niagara Frontier: A Battlefield Tour - 27 May 2012

I have Gilbert Collins Guide Book To The Historic Sites of The War of 1812 Second Edition Revised & Updated 2006 it is very informative.

Chapters included are as follows:

1. Windsor- Detroit 2. Detroit River 3. Maumee Valley 4. Indiana-Illonois
5. Lake Erie 6. Thames Valley 7. Niagra-on-the-Lake, Ontario
8. Queenston 9. Niagara Falls 10. Fort Erie & Buffalo
11. West Niagara 12. Hamilton 13. Toronto
14.East Lake Ontario 15. Kingston 16. St. Lawrence Valley
17. Richelieu River - Lake Champlain 18. Platsburg, New York
19. Northern Ontario 20. Georgian Bay 21. Washington, D.C.
22. Baltimore 23.Tidewater 24. Eastern Seabord U.S.
25. Eastern Seaboard Canada 26. Southern States
27. New Orleans 28. Other 29. Belgium

The guide book covers over 400 historic sites of the War of 1812, both well known & obscure, in both the United States & Canada including maps.

I'm looking forward to Gilbert Collin's next book a Guide Book To The Historic Sites of The French & Indian War it should be a dandy.

Ditto I hope this helps anybody that's interested too. :D

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:47 am

Belgium??? WTF happened in Belgium?

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:59 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Belgium??? WTF happened in Belgium?

The Signing of the Treaty of Ghent the author says there is a plaque there in Lovendeghem Mansion in the rue des Champs, Ghent, Belgium.

Since the book is called a Guide Book To The Historic Sites Of The War Of 1812 I can only guess that he thought it only fitting that this be the last site.

I dunno he had to end it some place? [huh]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  Next