Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
Newbie
Newbie
Profile
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:30 am
 


An interesting, free public event - February 3rd 2015 7PM ET -- Discovering the Erebus: Mysteries of the Franklin Voyage Revealed



I work at CIGI, who is hosting the event. This has been our most popular lecture this season (the general admission sold out in 24 hours), and I thought others might be interested in watching the webcast -- topic touches on Canadian history, underwater archaeology and politics.

Whether you see arctic exploration as part of Canadian national identity or not, you can join me for the online broadcast and even pass questions to the live stage.

The event is free. You can RSVP for the webcast at: http://www.cigionline.org/franklin

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin%27s_lost_expedition
"Franklin's lost expedition was a British voyage of Arctic exploration led by Captain Sir John Franklin that departed England in 1845. A Royal Navy officer and experienced explorer, Franklin had served on three previous Arctic expeditions, the latter two as commanding officer. His fourth and last, undertaken when he was 59, was meant to traverse the last unnavigated section of the Northwest Passage. After a few early fatalities, the two ships became icebound in Victoria Strait near King William Island in the Canadian Arctic. The entire expedition complement, including Franklin and 128 men, was lost."


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 San Jose Sharks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 58612
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:43 am
 


The first time in my life I've seen a spam post and wasn't pissed off about it. [B-o]


Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
Profile
Posts: 32562
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:02 am
 


BartSimpson wrote:
The first time in my life I've seen a spam post and wasn't pissed off about it. [B-o]

:lol: Ditto.


Offline
Newbie
Newbie
Profile
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:22 am
 


Thanks guys. Sorry to self-promote! :oops:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 15602
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:34 am
 


In this case I think it's acceptable. At least you are not Tiainspace from Istanbul claiming to be from Winnipeg just wanting to work your way through collage by selling these special blue pills for men. :D


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 15602
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:35 am
 


Not to mention you got the attention of some history buffs on here. [B-o]


Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
Profile
Posts: 32562
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:35 am
 


Tiainspace wrote:
Thanks guys. Sorry to self-promote! :oops:

Usually spammers who link to their business or whatever are removed and banned from the site. I thought the same as Bart and thought I'd let it go because of the topic. If you want to update or add to your original post that will be fine if you just use this thread rather than start a new one.
You may also fine other parts of the site interesting and join in if you like.


Offline
Newbie
Newbie
Profile
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:13 pm
 


Regina wrote:
Usually spammers who link to their business or whatever are removed and banned from the site. I thought the same as Bart and thought I'd let it go because of the topic. If you want to update or add to your original post that will be fine if you just use this thread rather than start a new one.
You may also fine other parts of the site interesting and join in if you like.


Great, will do!


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4817
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:22 pm
 


I'm intrigued, but before I sign up, I am going to need to know if they ate each other in the final fateful days. It's a pretty big selling point and I don't handle disappoinment well. Also, are the ship's logs intact ? I am under the impression that they should have been sealed.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13327
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:10 pm
 


Delwin wrote:
I'm intrigued, but before I sign up, I am going to need to know if they ate each other in the final fateful days. It's a pretty big selling point and I don't handle disappoinment well. Also, are the ship's logs intact ? I am under the impression that they should have been sealed.


Some pretty recent archaeology has found finger bones with cut marks all over them. You've got to be seriously far gone to chew away on another man's hand, if you think about it.

Anyway ... Royal Navy ...you know ...


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest



cron
 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.