Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:50 pm

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/argument+turning+immigration/2701440/story.html
By James Bissett, former executive director of the Canadian Immigration Service

Quote:
Industry Minister Tony Clement has bemoaned the fact that Canada's unemployment figures are at an "unacceptable level" and claims that job creation is a top priority of the federal government. If the minister is serious about this he might then well ask his colleague, Jason Kenney, the Immigration Minister, why our immigration levels are at such unprecedented high levels when there are 1.3 million men and women looking for work.

n the past two years while the country has been in the midst of a serious recession, 483,000 immigrants entered Canada. In addition to the immigrants, in 2008 alone, 192,519 temporary foreign workers entered and joined the 170,975 who were already here -- for an amazing total of 363,494. Why such high volumes if indeed the government is worried about job losses? Are ministers not aware that in the first year of recession Canada lost 486,000 full-time jobs and within the next few months 810,000 workers will run out of unemployment benefits?

n the past when Canada was entering into an economic downturn it was customary to turn the immigration tap off or at least to slow it down. The rationale was simple -- what was the point in bringing to Canada immigrants who would find it difficult to find employment, and why make it more difficult for unemployed Canadian workers to get back to work?

However, for the past 20 years governments have set immigration levels extraordinarily high, aiming for about 250,000 per annum regardless of economic or labour force conditions. As the number of applications increased, an enormous backlog has piled up. In June of 2008 it was estimated to be between 900,000 and 950,000. Now it probably exceeds one million.

The staggering number of foreign temporary workers entering Canada is a direct result of the inability of visa officers overseas to deal with the high volume of immigration set by the government targets. Canadian employers trying to avoid lengthy immigration delays hire foreign temporary workers instead. They frequently engage agents abroad to select and recruit the workers. Since many of these workers do not have to undergo normal criminal and security checks, they are able to get to Canada faster and avoid the backlog. Many of the workers are unskilled with poor language qualifications and it is known they pay agents large sums of money to be chosen for Canada. How many of them will eventually return home is an open question.

One of the serious consequences of reliance on temporary workers is the danger of falling into the same trap as many of the western European countries in the '60s and '70s when they lost control of their guest worker and asylum programs. These countries suddenly -- but too late -- realized they had inadvertently created a massive underclass residing in their major urban centres.

Studies have shown that the immigrants arriving since the early 1990s are not doing as well as those from earlier times. Many are living below the poverty line and immigrants between the ages of 25 and 54 have a much higher unemployment rate than the native born.

Only about 18 per cent of immigrants are selected by the federal government because they possess the skills, training or education needed to fill labour shortages.

The reality is that for a number of years now the costs of immigration have exceeded the benefits and the long-range economic, social and environmental implications of continuing such high levels -- especially during times of economic uncertainty -- have not been taken into account by governments.

Our political representatives have a responsibility -- if not a duty -- to address important issues of public policy. It is high time they took a hard and intelligent look at our immigration policy and in a non-partisan fashion introduce measures to ensure that immigration serves the interests of Canada.

This is not happening now, and now is not the time for our politicians to opt out.

Exactly what I've been yawping about, except from somebody who was in the "industry."

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:30 am

There's a broad understanding amonst the population that immigration is not working. I have had a letter campaigning going about immigration and it's unpopularity for years and last summer the Liberal Election Platform accepted my ideas for review. The problem with the Liberals is that Ignatieff doesn't communicate effectively and is isolated from the caucus. So that's the sitution there.

I have e-mailed James Bisset about immigration but after one response he has decided to ignor me. This is despite the fact that my own agenda on the issue has made it to the Liberal Election Platform Committee. There's some errors and ommissions in his data. As a result he will have trouble getting mandarins to pay proper attention to him. They will still say it's disinformation and Statistics Canada says we are getting close to immigrants making up 100% of the labour force growth.

Thanks for the link Andyt. I will add it to my file.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:30 am

It's unfortunate that James Bisset and that aren't more open to ideas and communicative, say with the federal Liberals, because immigration and poverty is a pressing issue. Bisset is paid by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives in Ottawa. The other official immigrant reform person in Canada is Martin Collacott with the Fraser Institute in Vancouver. He is like Bisset, uninterrested that the Liberals are taking a look at immigration. This is how the political process is working in Canada at this time.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:41 am

Immigration fills a population vacuum in Canada. Fertility rates in Canada are only about 1.5 births per woman, not enough to sustain. Immigration is what keeps the country populated.

The first thing to fix is Canada's thirty percent abortion rate. I am an abortion moderate, it's between a woman and her doctor. However a third of Canadians never make it to be citizens. Fix that and then talk about immigration.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:55 am

What people forget, is that applications take time. Those 500,000 immigrants who entered the country already had their visa's. It takes at least 4 years from first sending in your paperwork to actually moving. After you get your visa, you have a year to get a stamp at the border (either go on holidays here or move) and then another 2 years to actually move here. So those applications could have been from 5 or more years ago, depending on the embassy. London takes AT LEAST 5 years for a skilled worker to get its visa.
Having said that... this
Quote:
In addition to the immigrants, in 2008 alone, 192,519 temporary foreign workers entered and joined the 170,975 who were already here -- for an amazing total of 363,494.

is bullshit. If you have that many joblosses in the country, you cant just let foreigners in and have the Canadians collect EI, or worse.

I think they should just stop processing applications in times of recession, BUT, that would mean that politicians actually have to think, and connect the dots between immigration and embassy. I think thats a bit much... ;-)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:10 am

Brenda wrote:
What people forget, is that applications take time. Those 500,000 immigrants who entered the country already had their visa's. It takes at least 4 years from first sending in your paperwork to actually moving. After you get your visa, you have a year to get a stamp at the border (either go on holidays here or move) and then another 2 years to actually move here. So those applications could have been from 5 or more years ago, depending on the embassy. London takes AT LEAST 5 years for a skilled worker to get its visa.
Having said that... this
Quote:
In addition to the immigrants, in 2008 alone, 192,519 temporary foreign workers entered and joined the 170,975 who were already here -- for an amazing total of 363,494.

is bullshit. If you have that many joblosses in the country, you cant just let foreigners in and have the Canadians collect EI, or worse.

I think they should just stop processing applications in times of recession, BUT, that would mean that politicians actually have to think, and connect the dots between immigration and embassy. I think thats a bit much... ;-)

As the writer points out, politicians were able to think quite clearly before 20 years ago, and did just that - turn off the tap during high unemployment, turn it on when we needed workers. But the Liberals figured out they could get lot of votes from those immigrants, and now the reformacons are playing the same game, tho I gotta admit at least trying to tighten things up a bit. Or maybe that's just show.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:13 am

Ruxpercnd wrote:
Immigration fills a population vacuum in Canada. Fertility rates in Canada are only about 1.5 births per woman, not enough to sustain. Immigration is what keeps the country populated.

The first thing to fix is Canada's thirty percent abortion rate. I am an abortion moderate, it's between a woman and her doctor. However a third of Canadians never make it to be citizens. Fix that and then talk about immigration.

To actually keep Canada's population at replacement levels we would need to triple our immigration, and make sure we're only allowing in breeding people and their children. Do you want that? Where will we put them? What will they do for work? As the article points out, we're bringing in hordes while we have many Canadians on EI. How is having an increasing population, but one that doesn't have gainful employment any good?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:13 am

Ruxpercnd wrote:

:roll: Right. Force 'em all to have babies.

What century do you think you're in?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:36 am

Ruxpercnd wrote:

People read in the newspaper that the birthrate is below replacement and think immigration will be stepped up. However the population is still actually growing because of the shape of the demographics, there is wide spread unemployment, there is a low employment rate in most of Canada indicating hidden unemployment and low wage employers can and should actually be downsized and the employees moved up to better companies. In addition you can shrink the population and similarly move people up to better employers. This should all be discussed publically. For the next decade we don't really need extra bodies from overseas and after that there should be a public discussion if growth is producing good jobs or not.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:37 am

Brenda wrote:

This is a fact of life, politician's piss poor planning. It's part of democracy. In the case of immigration it's very apparent and very amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:03 am

Ruxpercnd wrote:

holy shit

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:11 am

Ruxpercnd wrote:

The way to fix the abortion rate is to do everything possible so that women who don't want babies don't get pregnant in the first place.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:19 am

Exactly. What I dont get is that abortions are paid for, but birthcontrol isnt.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:28 am

Brenda wrote:
Exactly. What I dont get is that abortions are paid for, but birthcontrol isnt.

Birth control is subsidized for youths, after that people should have at lest enough brain function to get a job and pay for it themselves

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:31 am

Ruxpercnd wrote:

I have to admit tho, I find this statistic shocking, and I doubt it's brought about only because we don't have free access to birth control. I wonder what the drivers behind it are?