Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:10 pm

The supply of jobs is expanding. Calgary had 40% growth in jobs in the decade to 2005. The politics of it is at full employment business will complain they can't find certain skills and politicians will try to finess the economy with immigration. A top up of skills reportedly in short supply in specific cities seems reasonable.

You know you are right though, immigrating only suppresses wages. In fact what would happen without immigration is the wages in a growth city would inflate, the city would become expensive to do business in and growth would slow. The market provides an alternative to immigration. Hong Kong and Singapore are examples of cities that grew this way rather than immigrating. They grew to high wages. In Hong Kong you still can't migrate a relative from the mainland into the city.

The other thing is skill shortages are supposed to met with more training. The price rises and this is a signal for resources to reallocate, Economics 101. Skilled immigration should only be a short term thing until training catshes up. The government should be both immigranting skills in short supply and increasing funding to training in that area. They don't do this.

In Canada they are oriented to growing the countries population. The alternative is you can attrophy the bottom when good jobs are created. As there are some 3.2 million workers in Canada that make $12 an hour or less it would take a long while to find them better jobs.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:14 pm

I find it funny that we always say "Economics 101, Mathematics 101, xxx 101". 101 means the first Philosophy course.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:25 am

I think because the baby boomers are getting older and soon there will be a huge
pension payments. The new immigrants will be paying the taxes that will support the senior population.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:26 am

Pension payments should be paid for by themselves. You know, people have pensionplans that pay out? No taxes there.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:54 am

All these excuses for unfettered immigration make no sense.

We have hundreds of thousands coming in, no extra hospitals, no extra jobs.

We should scale back and accept those that can look after themselves and don't burden our infrastructure further. Either that or buils up the infrastructure to accomodate the newcomers.

This and all the bogus refugee claims do my head in.

Put it this way, I'm not betting on a few more million East Indians and Chinese making my pension fatter.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:13 pm

Well said EB, you immigrant bastard :lol: [B-o] Just yankin yer chain mate :lol:
Seriously now, I couldn't agree more. We have plenty of unemployed Canadians and have had them for years now. And yet immigration has risen much higher and faster than job growth. And remember the Rae days of Ontario? To paraphrase provincial government hiring policy at the time, "if you are a white male, don't even bother applying."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:25 pm

I am an immigrant! I'm the worst kind, white, male and English speaking (mostly).

Not too many special interest groups pushing for my rights, and don't remind me of Rae. I got here when he was in.
I was told a few times that I wouldn't get a job in my chosen field because of my skin colour and gender and it is something that will stay with me. Equity my arse.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:29 pm

Hear hear...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:36 pm

I had a similar experience with the feds when I applied for a job with Customs.
I had to write a competency test before I could get an invitation to write the Actual Customs test. The competency test was geared towards natural born Canadians, to WEED THEM OUT! I killed that test and yet no invitation to go further. A few months later I find out that some shmuck that had been in the country for 6 MONTHS was working customs at the international airport. That person was a Sikh, I was called racist for my opinion about it and yet, I wouldn't have cared if it was you EB, or someone else from The Isles.
NO ONE who has been here only 6 months should be given a sensative position like that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:43 pm

WTF? You have to be a citizen to work for the government. How can a 6-month immigrant get a job like that??

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:54 pm

You tell me :|

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:34 pm

herbie wrote:
Have more babies then. Right now!
Put a job posting thru Manpower last year and got more CVs from outside the country than inside. Show's who's willing to move North and work for an honest wage and who'd rather snivel on EI hoping for $20 an hour.

I'll stick to my year old quote even more.
Especially after running through a training grant with a couple of the laziest most unambitious dipshit 20 somethings I ever met in my life. The only part of a paystub they could figure out was the number of EI insurable hours.
Also had them take down a job posting that was up since my last post. Qualification was you had to be a member of a certain rez, $14 hr. tools and training provided. Zero applicants after a whole year.
Send me an immigrant. At least I know I'll get the minimum godam effort for 3 years until they get landed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:42 pm

3 years? why?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:14 am

herbie wrote:

I'll stick to my year old quote even more.
Especially after running through a training grant with a couple of the laziest most unambitious dipshit 20 somethings I ever met in my life. The only part of a paystub they could figure out was the number of EI insurable hours.
Also had them take down a job posting that was up since my last post. Qualification was you had to be a member of a certain rez, $14 hr. tools and training provided. Zero applicants after a whole year.
Send me an immigrant. At least I know I'll get the minimum godam effort for 3 years until they get landed.

Jesus. This ranting about the indolent will come to no good. I call myself a "job activist" and concern myself with labour market related issues. A constant I find is this suspicion of people being lazy. There maybe a few but you can't base policy on people that won't work. Just put them on welfare and close your eyes.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:21 am

casaken wrote:
I think because the baby boomers are getting older and soon there will be a huge
pension payments. The new immigrants will be paying the taxes that will support the senior population.

This doesn't work as advertised. There are newspaper articles around that say we have to get the employed to retired ratio up with immigrants. In fact the issue is employed to dependant, which includes children. When immigrants come they bring family, kids, and these have government costs associated with them. The dependency ratio remains the same. There is some savings as children are less costly than elderly sick people to the government but it's just a shave in costs not a real solution.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 5  6  7  8  9  10  Next