CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
Profile
Posts: 2962
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 pm
 


bootlegga wrote:
cougar wrote:
fifeboy wrote:

And often they work at jobs that Native born Canadians won't. They get an education for their kids and by the time their kids have kids, they become doctors, lawyers, engineers and business people.


Is it the first , the second or the third generation who are successful? The skilled class immigrants rarely come prepared to sacrifice their lives for the future of their kids rather they come to get meaningful jobs in their field.

I have some doubts how one can be saving money for education of kids while working at the lower end jobs. The family budget will simply not allow it, but the kids may take student loans..... :mrgreen:


That's probably because like many Canadians, you wouldn't consider working two full time jobs. I've worked with plenty of immigrants who work 7-3, eat a bag dinner and then work 5-12. Even at $10 an hour, that adds up to a living salary, especially if both parents do it.


In the 1950s and the 1960s working class immigrants came here and got good jobs in major facilities; factories, mines and mills. They had family, houses and pensions. Now immigrants are coming here and working two full time jobs to feed the kids and there's this murky support of low wages.


Last edited by Bruce_the_vii on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
Active Member
Active Member
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 185
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:31 pm
 


bootlegga wrote:
That's probably because like many Canadians, you wouldn't consider working two full time jobs. I've worked with plenty of immigrants who work 7-3, eat a bag dinner and then work 5-12. Even at $10 an hour, that adds up to a living salary, especially if both parents do it.


:lol:
Immigration Canada should only be concerned with the applicant's physical capabiities and stamina then.

I've done this crazy 2-job thing too and it only works for a single person and only for a limited period of time. Not an option for a family with kids.

Then if this is how things "are supposed to be", I'd rather do something memorable and go to jail, and hopefully the country takes care of my kids. I see the SPCA takes care of all stray animals in this humane society.....


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20753
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:19 pm
 


That's not how it's supposed to be. Unfortunately, that is how is it though.

Every immigrant I've ever met is happy to find work of any sort, simply because all of them came from countries where there was no work to be had. The Filipino that lives down the street from my mother have spent decades working two jobs, and now have a very nice home, two nice cars, often take trips back home, and do quite well. Not bad for a couple of janitors.

I really feel for immigrants. Despite meeting requirements to immigrate that most Canadians couldn't meet, they arrive to find out that despite years of training and/or experience, they can't get a job as an engineer/doctor/whatever they were back home, then wind up working for a decade or more in dead-end jobs like Tim Horton's or driving cab. But a lot of them work long hard hours and do re-certified for whatever they did and go on to be successful. Tack on a strange culture (for most immigrants anyways), strange language, strange weather, etc and it adds up to a mountain that each and everyone of them has to climb.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 51388
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:22 pm
 


That, Boot, brought a tear to my eyes...

Quote:
Despite meeting requirements to immigrate that most Canadians couldn't meet

That is SO true!
I really wonder how many people would ace the language skills test...


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 7648
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:02 am
 


Brenda wrote:
That, Boot, brought a tear to my eyes...

Quote:
Despite meeting requirements to immigrate that most Canadians couldn't meet

That is SO true!
I really wonder how many people would ace the language skills test...



Well you can't really use this argument. Birthright has merit. People who are born and raised here or immigrants who are second and third generational and have been educated here wouldn't have to be tested like new immigrants to-day. Policy and requirements change. In my opinion entrance requirements should be stiffer and you should have to be fluent in one of the two official languages. I really really take offence to the immigrant cry of poor treatment on entrance and discrimination based on having to meet these standards. And of course the continuation of the myth that they are forced to do jobs Canadians won't do. Truth is in most cases they just don't cut it.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 51388
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:16 am
 


Who uses it as an argument? It is funny though to see that people do just not understand how the system works, and generalize everyone.

I really really take offense to people born and raised here who say that immigrants have it so easey. Believe me, they don't. Even immigrants from educated western countries don't.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 7648
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:35 pm
 


Well it may be true that some immigrants have a hard time.. don't know why.. but I do have family working in immigration and a couple of immigration lawyers as well.
So Brenda help me out.. what is so hard for immigrants in Canada?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20753
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:45 pm
 


kenmore wrote:
Brenda wrote:
That, Boot, brought a tear to my eyes...

Quote:
Despite meeting requirements to immigrate that most Canadians couldn't meet

That is SO true!
I really wonder how many people would ace the language skills test...



Well you can't really use this argument. Birthright has merit. People who are born and raised here or immigrants who are second and third generational and have been educated here wouldn't have to be tested like new immigrants to-day. Policy and requirements change. In my opinion entrance requirements should be stiffer and you should have to be fluent in one of the two official languages. I really really take offence to the immigrant cry of poor treatment on entrance and discrimination based on having to meet these standards. And of course the continuation of the myth that they are forced to do jobs Canadians won't do. Truth is in most cases they just don't cut it.


Are you just talking out your ass again? What do you mean, "the continuation of the myth that they are forced to do jobs Canadians won't do"

It's totally true. That's why large numbers of immigrants work as janitors, hotel maids, fast food restaurant employees, convenience store clerks, cab drivers, you name it. Most Canadians expect much better than 8 hours of mind-numbing boredom, dangerous jobs, or shitty hours.





PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:51 pm
 


kenmore wrote:
Well it may be true that some immigrants have a hard time.. don't know why.. but I do have family working in immigration and a couple of immigration lawyers as well.
So Brenda help me out.. what is so hard for immigrants in Canada?


Dealing with peeps like you maybe Kenny?

You seem to have a problem with Immigrants ever since you and your family got a piece of land to settle on in Canada.


On one hand you have a problem with the ROC dealing with your spoiled province,and on the other you repeatadly call anyone from western Canada Rednecks.

Pot,meet kettle.

If you were really into saving Canada you wouldnt have a seperatist icon by your avatar mon ami.
The hypocrisey astounds me sometimes here.





PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:55 pm
 


kenmore wrote:
Brenda wrote:
That, Boot, brought a tear to my eyes...

Quote:
Despite meeting requirements to immigrate that most Canadians couldn't meet

That is SO true!
I really wonder how many people would ace the language skills test...



Well you can't really use this argument. Birthright has merit. People who are born and raised here or immigrants who are second and third generational and have been educated here wouldn't have to be tested like new immigrants to-day. Policy and requirements change. In my opinion entrance requirements should be stiffer and you should have to be fluent in one of the two official languages. I really really take offence to the immigrant cry of poor treatment on entrance and discrimination based on having to meet these standards. And of course the continuation of the myth that they are forced to do jobs Canadians won't do. Truth is in most cases they just don't cut it.


Birthright has merit?
Then we should turn over all of Canada to the natives.

I would really like to call you for what you are but it will prolly get me banned. :|


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 7648
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:51 pm
 


Hey there ziggy... thought there was a tough stand on flaming and personal attacks..
dont get your nickers in a not.. there are lots of Canadians working in crappy jobs.. doing the same work as immigrants and everyone else.. It is a myth.. immigrants do jobs Canadians wont do.. there are lots of immigrants who won't take Mcjobs..


Last edited by kenmore on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 7648
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:55 pm
 


And I vote liberal both provincially and federally. I have a bloc icon because I happen to like M. Duceppe.. personally I would prefer he be a liberal and there be no block.. but you can thank Mulroney for its creation. Evey time I make a statement ziggy throws a hairy because he thinks he is the only one who counts.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 7648
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:03 pm
 


ziggy wrote:
kenmore wrote:
Well it may be true that some immigrants have a hard time.. don't know why.. but I do have family working in immigration and a couple of immigration lawyers as well.
So Brenda help me out.. what is so hard for immigrants in Canada?


Dealing with peeps like you maybe Kenny?

You seem to have a problem with Immigrants ever since you and your family got a piece of land to settle on in Canada.


On one hand you have a problem with the ROC dealing with your spoiled province,and on the other you repeatadly call anyone from western Canada Rednecks.

Pot,meet kettle.

If you were really into saving Canada you wouldnt have a seperatist icon by your avatar mon ami.
The hypocrisey astounds me sometimes here.

I was born here..my father came from England. My mother was Quebecoise, descendant from people who came here from France. No one gave us any land, we bought it like most people. My immigrant ancestors worked hard and asked for nothing. And for your info I am not anti immigration as posted before. I am anti immigration from the middle east but that will change thanks to Obama and his attitude toward Islam. I just feel there are some immigrants who come here and want a hand out and don't contribute. don't learn the language even after being here 20yrs.. the system isn't perfect. And now that a certain person is not on here anymore, you won't hear any more redneck pokes. mon ami!


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 5367
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:04 pm
 


I think its your xenophobic habits and views that he takes offense to Kenny. If you were a little less... offensive, and didnt overgeneralise sometimes, he probably wouldnt attack you nearly as much. IMHO.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 7648
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:09 pm
 


I don't think I am xenophobic, just tired of the immigration bullshit. I am tired of hearing how they have a hard time and have to upgrade their education to meet the standards. You and I have to meet those standards to graduate university or apply for a job.. Where is the free ride clause in the immigration application? sorry its my opinion and only my opinion. Ziggy? I don't worry about him.. if I said black he would say white.. he is as anti liberal as I am anti tory.. he is entitled to his opinions as well... we probably will never agree on much.. C'est la vie!


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.