Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:14 pm

I dont see Ziggy as anti liberal at all, he one of the least partisan on the site, I wonder if we can get a badge for that.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:16 pm

Guy_Fawkes wrote:
I dont see Ziggy as anti liberal at all, he one of the least partisan on the site, I wonder if we can get a badge for that.

That would be nice.. I thought from his attacks on me he is anti Quebec and liberal.
I'll keep the rhetoric down :)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:19 pm

He might be anti-quebec, I know several from the oil patch that are like that, but its something Zig should really answer for himself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:20 pm

kenmore wrote:
I don't think I am xenophobic, just tired of the immigration bullshit. I am tired of hearing how they have a hard time and have to upgrade their education to meet the standards. You and I have to meet those standards to graduate university or apply for a job.. Where is the free ride clause in the immigration application? sorry its my opinion and only my opinion. Ziggy? I don't worry about him.. if I said black he would say white.. he is as anti liberal as I am anti tory.. he is entitled to his opinions as well... we probably will never agree on much.. C'est la vie!

I was born here too,in Winnipeg,prolly next to the rev,my dad was an immigrant though,and I have voted liberal(cretian) NDP and Conservative in the last 20 years so your argument holds no merit.

Nice stereotype you project though,maybe go visit more of Canada and less of Cuba to see what I'm getting at.

Canada has more to offer then what ends at your provincial border.
You seem like a Canadian of convenience,just here to get what you need for retirement and fu*k the ROC.

Something like the immigrants you so despise.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:23 pm

Guy_Fawkes wrote:

I am,Ive also lived alone for the last ten years so I see things differently then most,I hate most partisan peeps equally.
I work for myself and I fend for myself with no help from anyone.
Not many can say that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:37 pm

Like usuall when Kenny is put to task about his comments he fuc*s off.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:10 pm

bootlegga wrote:
Demian_164 wrote:
Im just curious as to why we have these immigration quotas to begin with. Our economy is slowing, we are losing jobs, yet we let in 250,000 a year. I just dont get it. Why?

Immigrants are boost to the economy, not a bane. How many immigrants have you met who brought houses, cars or even TVs with them? They have to buy/rent everything they need to live once they get here. That boosts the economy in a huge way.

We have a big, nearly empty country. I say double the quota. My only provision would be that they aren't allowed to immigrate to the big three cities (Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver). Make them spread out to other cities and towns and open the doors.

Our country will be much better for it, unless of course you're a bigot who doesn't like brown people...

Um....how can you advocate telling people where they can and can't live based on the fact they are not Canadian born and then accuse others of bigotry?

Seriously I get the idea of getting people to mix in with other Canadians so their english improves and they get a better understanding of our culture but you take it too far.

Then again I'm one of the first people to tell you that if you don't speak fluent English or French and your not a refugee get the hell out. So hey maybe I shouldn't talk.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:56 pm

CanadianJeff wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
Demian_164 wrote:
Im just curious as to why we have these immigration quotas to begin with. Our economy is slowing, we are losing jobs, yet we let in 250,000 a year. I just dont get it. Why?

Immigrants are boost to the economy, not a bane. How many immigrants have you met who brought houses, cars or even TVs with them? They have to buy/rent everything they need to live once they get here. That boosts the economy in a huge way.

We have a big, nearly empty country. I say double the quota. My only provision would be that they aren't allowed to immigrate to the big three cities (Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver). Make them spread out to other cities and towns and open the doors.

Our country will be much better for it, unless of course you're a bigot who doesn't like brown people...

Um....how can you advocate telling people where they can and can't live based on the fact they are not Canadian born and then accuse others of bigotry?

Seriously I get the idea of getting people to mix in with other Canadians so their english improves and they get a better understanding of our culture but you take it too far.

Then again I'm one of the first people to tell you that if you don't speak fluent English or French and your not a refugee get the hell out. So hey maybe I shouldn't talk.

Why let people immigrate to cities that are already bursting at the seams?

I'm not advocating people live on other cities for any reason other than the big three are already strained on infrastructure and other smaller cities (like Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Halifax, Kamloops, Fredricton, etc) could use the population boost. Likewise, rural areas that are shrinking could use more people too.

Win, win.

If after five years (or some agreeable term), they want to move to Vancouver or Toronto, fine. Odds are they'll have roots in their new community and stay.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:09 pm

bootlegga wrote:
Make them spread out to other cities and towns and open the doors.

The doors are open as we speak. It's all a matter of creating jobs in the smaller communities.

The other option is to have the government give land to every newcomer so that they can have their own farm. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:13 pm

No matter the community or its size, it's ready for go-getters. Whether the entrepreneurs were born in Peterborough or Rotterdam or Ottawa or Shanghai scarsely matters. We want capable citizens. Place of birth is irrelevent.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:23 am

In the growth cities of Canada they let in all these immigrants as there are labour shortages. This is to say Tim Hortons and McDonalds are having trouble finding people to work for minimum wage. The influx of immigration suppresses the defacto minimum wage they'd receive at the bottom. In Calgary the economy is better and the reports are Tim Hortons and that have to pay $12 an hour while pre-McGunity-minimum-wage in Toronto was $7.85. So actually that is a cheat of $4.15 an hour for the worst off worker. It's a tax. The arithmetic is the tax at the bottom is 65%, the highest rate around. That would be the tax on the $7.85 plus the $4.15 but minus any tax on the $4.15. It's a tax and spend world and jobs can be spent by government. (The tax calculation is simple. Just the 40% of all spending that is taxes applied to the hourly wage. Taxes are almost flat in Canada. There are detail accounts of all taxes for all tax brackets that arrive at the conclusion taxes at the bottom are 35% - but they would be inaccurate to some degree. )

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:39 am

Why let people immigrate to cities that are already bursting at the seams?

I'm not advocating people live on other cities for any reason other than the big three are already strained on infrastructure and other smaller cities (like Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Halifax, Kamloops, Fredricton, etc) could use the population boost. Likewise, rural areas that are shrinking could use more people too.

Win, win.

If after five years (or some agreeable term), they want to move to Vancouver or Toronto, fine. Odds are they'll have roots in their new community and stay

I have an idea in this regard. Presently the government has a Foreign Temporary Worker program (FTW) that allows people with job offers into the country on a temporary basis. This could be motified to people with actual job offers in select cities but on a permanent basis. The temporary workers are selected for their skills as the goverment keeps a list of fields there are shortages reported in. The Immigration Department vets the applications for fraud. So thats modify the TFW to City-by-city workers. Hiring someone overseas is difficult logistically but the world wide network of connections of businesses and of present immigrants in a city would faciltate this. The connects are like the the internet, total world reach. In fact you would have regular immigration as well, family class, so the actual extra numbers would be modest. That'd be maybe a thousand families for Calgary in a good year. Eventually most the country would come to the same unemployment level and be easier for the Central Bank to manage.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:57 am

Demian_164 wrote:

The Immigration Quota is set in some backroom in Parliament by the election platform committee. The Liberal committee picked a number out of thin air in 1993, 1% of the population - although no expert was advocating such a level. In the meanwhile they have not actually gone to the 1%. Politically immigration is popular and there's supposedly votes in it so it's been inflated. Economists are of no help because they all say there is no mathematical co-relation of immigration to unemployment. Presently Immigration Minister Kenny is predicint a rapid recovery from the world recession and a need for 500,000 immigrant workers in Western Canada in the next few years. So, 250,000

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:43 am

ziggy wrote:
Like usuall when Kenny is put to task about his comments he fuc*s off.

Its called time zones and I still work 12hr shifts. Any way I have visited every province in Canada. Actually have family or friends in most of them. Have not been to the territories, but plan on it. I am heading to Vancouver the end of July. Have a brother is Victoria and my niece teaches at UBC. Like I say ziggy my opinions are mine and mine alone and I am entitled as anyone else to express them even if you don't like them. I don't agree with you most times and don't like what you say often. But I will defend your right to say them. I don't understand the anti Quebec attitude by some in the west. But I know that Canada would be worse off without any province or territory. I am a proud Canadian and federalist. I believe in a united country and the sharing of wealth among all the provinces and territories. We have a great country. “The best Canada possible is a Canada inspired by Quebec. The best Canada possible is a Canada with Quebeckers being represented in Ottawa and full partners in federation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:47 am

Bruce_the_vii wrote:
This could be motified to people with actual job offers in select cities but on a permanent basis.

Bruce, jobs are rarely for good and I've seen people brought from other countries to fill in a particular vacancy that get layed off two or three years down the line. This form of system abuse is happening with the government's knowledge and approval.

The Government also says the jobs that can be filled by Canadians are reserved for Canadians and the immigrants are only addressing the skill shortages. Wrong! There are no or little skill shortages and the immigrants take the low end jobs that every Canadian can do. As I and you have repeatedly said, it is done to keep the wages low.

Then, if Canada was importing unskilled workers, the wage pressure was going to affect only the McDonald, Tim Hortons etc. jobs. Since the program emphasizes on skilled immigrants, the pressure is put on the middle class as well. Smart!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next