CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:01 am

Wullu Wullu:
proudcanukchick proudcanukchick:
And it's a blast!

I organized a campaign with my son's class just before Thanksgiving. The kids loved writing the letters and we all had a great time shopping and organizing the care packages for the troops.

Knowing that it really is appreciated makes it all the more worthwhile.

And there is another thing that brightened the long days and gave us something to do to pass some time doing something fun. Writing back to the kids who wrote to us. I must have answered a half dozen letters like that floating around the Persian Gulf at 0300. Depending on the age of the kids some of them were pretty hilarious and some were very thoughtful, always fun to read and respond to. The ones from the real youngsters were almost like an Art Linkletter's "Kids say the darndest things" :lol:

In Bosnia in 97 my youngest boys class wrote letters to me quite frequently. It was just after the Red River flood when I recieved a bunch of letters and almost every one of them asked if it was flooded where I was! :lol: I suppose the world is a lot smaller when you're only 6 or 7 years old. It provided a few days of chuckles as I read and wrote back every single one of them.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:15 am

Wullu Wullu:
proudcanukchick proudcanukchick:
And it's a blast!

I organized a campaign with my son's class just before Thanksgiving. The kids loved writing the letters and we all had a great time shopping and organizing the care packages for the troops.

Knowing that it really is appreciated makes it all the more worthwhile.

And there is another thing that brightened the long days and gave us something to do to pass some time doing something fun. Writing back to the kids who wrote to us. I must have answered a half dozen letters like that floating around the Persian Gulf at 0300. Depending on the age of the kids some of them were pretty hilarious and some were very thoughtful, always fun to read and respond to. The ones from the real youngsters were almost like an Art Linkletter's "Kids say the darndest things" :lol:

Thank you for the first hand account.

Our kids haven't gotten any letters back (things got kind of hairy over there around the time we shipped the stuff out), but they still talk about that project, just the same. I do, however, know what you mean about the letters. I read all of the letters, and several were priceless. One in particular.....

"My dad works, but my mom doesn't. We have 7 kids in our family and we're all she can handle"

:lol:

Hope whoever got that letter had a sense of humor.