Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:45 am

Basically an extended CPF, the Provincial Class Destroyer was chosen to replace the aging TRUMP DD's due to its cost effectiveness. Although called a multi-platform ship, the Provincial Class is limited in its ASW capability, and focuses more as a command and air defense ship.

VLS has been added between the gun and the bridge, and a new radar mast has been added to capitalize on the 3D radar system newly fitted.

that idea just seemed to fade away. It still sounds like the answer to me. four of them and a couple of the new multi-purpose AOR's and we got ourselves the making of a Navy

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:18 am

It seems the proposal has been shelved. CASR used to have some interesting stuff about this proposed ship but it doesn't seem to be on their site anymore.
According to them, there were some technical-type problems with the proposed "Province" class but I can't remember the specific nature of those shortcomings.

Province Class Link

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:22 pm

sweet link ...... man i wish there was a future for those ships. I have just put my request to go subs .... wish me luck lol

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:10 pm

Province Class DDG, why not Dominion class Guided Missle Cruisers too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:49 pm

The so-called "PROVINCIAL" class was never set in stone. It was simply one way considered to alleviate the forthcoming problem of the lack of a command and control ship for our task groups. The idea of extending the Halifax class frigates to make them into destroyers was dismissed because it would be extremely expensive to do such a modification and it would ultimately make the ship too unstable (with the required equipment added for SM2, APAR, etc.) to be of any use to the military.

From a purely engineering and economic standpoint, be happy that the PROVINCIAL class was as quickly dismissed as it was as quickly dreamt up.

What is being considered as the only really viable options now are (1) new build project or (2) acquisition of foreign built vessels to fill the role.

And don't believe everything you see on CASR - while they have some concrete information, their "what-ifs" are about as theoretical as religion when it comes to the viability of such platforms. Everytime I read their "ideas" for the Canadian Forces, you can easily tell that they're not approaching the concepts from an engineering standpoint, more of a "we have these things right now, so how can we combine them into a better platform".

As for Hazegray.org, unless it's the United States Navy section, their "future ship classes" information sheets aren't overly impressive to say the least.