Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:10 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:

Canada needs a Guy Fawkes.

May bring together all dissenting factions.

Why, is there systematic persecution of Roman Catholics in Canada today?

Is there ongoing turmoil in Spain that's leading to the destabilization of the Canadian political system?

I don't think so.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 am

StuntmanMike StuntmanMike:
ShepardsDog makes a good point. We don't elect judges, yet they have more influence over national policy than almost anyone else in society.

There's also no pre-requisite for sitting on a jury, yet they are allowed to decide whether or not people spend the rest of their lives in prison.

But what you've said is interesting. It may be that an unaccountable, unelected figurehead, shouldn't be making decisions of such national import.

But what do you propose to replace it with?

I have no problem with the GG as a ceremonial figurehead. As someone of significant British ancestry myself, I appreciate the ties to our commonwealth brethren.

I think that Parliament should have made the decision whether to prorogue, form an alternate government or have an election. Now I admit that could be a more unstable system (because, in this case, it likely would have led to the current government falling in a time of economic turmoil).

And you're correct, if the GG shed a few tears for fallen soldiers, it was pretty petty of me to point it out. She's not the Prime Minister. It's weird--if I am performing at a Remembrance Day ceremony (sometimes I play piano solo or accompaniment for pipers and such) I never get "verklempt", but if I'm in the crowd I usually get a little sting in my eye during the bugle's "Last Post."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:05 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
I think it was pretty cheezy if she was crying. Suck it up. You're supposed to be a professional. I honestly have no idea why we even bother with this position. DSurely the last fiasco showed how useless a governor-general is. It's fine when she has to look pretty and wave at the cameras, but when she actually had a job to do, she looked completely stunned.

One of the biggest critisisms of Harper is that he is stone cold. Would you rather our GG be like that? I wouldn't.

I'd rather get rid of the G-G altogether.

At least we know the basis of your opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:17 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

$1:
Zipperfish:I think that Parliament should have made the decision whether to prorogue, form an alternate government or have an election. Now I admit that could be a more unstable system (because, in this case, it likely would have led to the current government falling in a time of economic turmoil).

That's where we disagree. I don't think you can just leave it to parliament. The house is far too petty, divided and partisan to be entrusted to regulate itself.

That's why every major political system in the world has some type of authority who lords over their legislative house. In the U.S., it's the President. Same in France. German's have the Chancellor.

The difference is in those systems, the boss is elected.

Although I'm not a supporter of that idea, I suppose you could make a pretty convincing argument for doing that in Canada.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
I think it was pretty cheezy if she was crying. Suck it up. You're supposed to be a professional.

Did you feel the same way about the soldiers carrying the coffins?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:16 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
I think it was pretty cheezy if she was crying. Suck it up. You're supposed to be a professional.

That's not fair Gunnair. If you read two or three posts back, you'll see he's acknowledged he was wrong when he said that earlier.

Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:33 pm

It is a good to see a person who shows emotion and cares about those men and women who serve this country and die for it.

I may not agree with what she did in her actions with parliment, but she does represent her majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.
She is someone who does know about foreign policies, and can help in any way to any country, especially those in the Commomwealth such as Canada.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:48 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:

Canada needs a Guy Fawkes.

May bring together all dissenting factions.

Why, is there systematic persecution of Roman Catholics in Canada today?

Is there ongoing turmoil in Spain that's leading to the destabilization of the Canadian political system?

I don't think so.

Not literally. An external threat.

Last edited by PluggyRug on Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:50 pm

The double thingy.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:52 pm

I think that it actually shows she actually cares. If its okay for a soldier to cry on a ramp ceremony, then it's fine for her.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:23 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

That's not fair Gunnair. If you read two or three posts back, you'll see he's acknowledged he was wrong when he said that earlier.

Fair enough, I retract the question.