canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:10 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Build enough model kits and one can start seeing these things while they're asleep. :mrgreen:

I could be wrong about the gun though. The tires look German but the splinter shield is definitely British so it could very well be a 17-pounder. They might have just taken a couple of semi-modern tires and put them on the wheels as there probably aren't too many original tires around anymore. Museums tend to do these things with their mock-ups.

Well I guess I'll find out the next time I go to FHC. I do know those pieces are from the guy in California who died recently and had his impressive collection auctioned off.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:24 pm

Yeah, it was a real shame when Jacques Littlefield in California died. He was truly dedicated to preserving history with his collection.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:03 am

Looks easy........maybe too easy.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:24 am

Naval Mustang on carrier trials aboard an Essex class carrier.

Can't figure out which one w/o Google. :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:10 am

Probably a P51K (or redesignated F51) going by the fillet between the fuselage and the tail fin; the early Mustangs didn't have those. Could be Korean War as well because I don't think they played too much with Navy Mustangs during WW2. No need to really, given how dominant the F6F Hellcats turned out to be against Japanese targets.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:17 am

Thanos Thanos:
Yeah, it was a real shame when Jacques Littlefield in California died. He was truly dedicated to preserving history with his collection.

Indeed. I met him twice while he was alive and I attended his funeral. I believe I posted the video of the funeral on here...it was most impressive.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:50 am

Thanos Thanos:
Probably a P51K (or redesignated F51) going by the fillet between the fuselage and the tail fin; the early Mustangs didn't have those.

Anti-Spin strakes. An aid to spin recovery.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:18 am

The single Naval Mustang was converted from a "D". I still can't pick out any clues as to what ship it's on though... starting to bug me.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:00 pm

Close enough.
It's a ETF-51D (44-14017) on the deck of USS Shangri-La during the trials in November 1944.

http://mustang.gaetanmarie.com/articles/naval/naval.htm

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:00 pm

Regina Regina:
Close enough.
It's a ETF-51D (44-14017) on the deck of USS Shangri-La during the trials in November 1944.

http://mustang.gaetanmarie.com/articles/naval/naval.htm

Great piece of history, thanks for passing it on R..... [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:11 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Left - M1 Abrams turret and basket
Centre - German Pak40 75 mm anti-tank gun (with rounded mid-WW2 muzzle brake) - could be wrong but the tires look like they have a German tread pattern
Right - SdKfz 11 half-track
Background - SCUD missile

Not too sure about the SCUD carrier though. Looks kind of small and most pics have them being transported by variants of those massive 8-wheel drive GAZ trucks the Russians built in the tens of thousands.

The FHC finally released some info on their new toys ...well at least some info on their SCUD launcher:

$1:
One of the artifacts the FHC recently obtained is a Scud ballistic missile carrier called a TEL. About 100 TELs (Tractor, Erector and Launcher) were built from a self-propelled gun design that dates back to World War II. Designated the ISU-152, the machine carried a 152.4 mm howitzer, used to fight tanks or support infantry. TEL versions of the vehicle had the same running gear but omitted the heavy gun to carry a single 9,700-pound R-11 ballistic Scud, its launch tower, and missile support equipment.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Hopefully the rust and camera angle make this mildly difficult for you all...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:38 am

I think that it's a self propelled gun, rather than a tank. A tank wouldn't have a vertical slab front or back like that.

That must be the back with the turret swung aft. The rivets tell me that it's oldish. ... desert paint job ...

Last edited by Jabberwalker on Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:39 am

Is it Italian?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:36 am

Nope

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2020 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 125  126  127  128  129  130  131 ... 135  Next