canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:22 pm

SKorea unveils "underwater" tank

[align=left]SEOUL (AFP) - South Korea on Friday unveiled what it calls the world's best tank, capable of fording shallow rivers, defending itself against missiles and firing "smart" projectiles.

The XK2 Black Panther is a main battle tank of "the highest technical level all over the world," said its developer, the state-run Agency for Defence Development.

Key features include an active defence system against incoming missiles and aircraft, automatic tracking and ammunition loading systems, an active suspension unit and high underwater manoeuvrability.

"We have stolen a march over other developed countries in developing ground weaponry. The Black Panther proves it," agency president Ahn Dong-Mahn told journalists.

Kim Eui-Hwan, the official in charge of the project, said the Black Panther has "more superb capabilities than any other existing tank."

Its armament includes a 120-mm smooth bore main gun which is automatically loaded and capable of firing up to 15 rounds per minute.

A unique system enables it to fire on the move and compensates for errors caused by bumpy terrain.

A special suspension unit enables the tank to "sit", "stand" and "kneel," allowing it to fire its main gun downhill.

Another key feature is Korean Smart Top-attack Munition rounds, which have their own guidance and obstacle-avoidance systems to hit hidden targets.

In another claimed world first, the agency said the tank -- using a special snorkel -- can manoeuvre quickly in up to 4.1 metres (13.5 feet) of water and is ready for combat immediately after it surfaces.

With three crew on board, the 55-tonne tank with a 1,500 horsepower engine has a road speed of more than 70 kilometres (44 miles) per hour and cross-country speed of more than 50 kph.

The Black Panther will enter mass production in three years and the army will take delivery of an unknown number in 2011. The price tag is estimated at 8.8 million dollars each and developers will also seek export orders.

The tank has been developed by researchers at ADD and Rotem, a unit of Hyundai Motor, along with defence industry firms.

South Korea's 680,000-strong military, assisted by a 29,500-strong US contingent, faces off against North Korea's 1.1 million-strong armed forces.[/align]

Source

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:26 pm

And on top of that, it makes Bulgogi...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:28 pm

Big deal. The Germans did this seventy years ago.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:30 pm

South Korean: "BWAHAHAHA! HERE WE COME AMERIKA!"

*drives tank slowly and menacingly towards the United States under the Pacific Ocean*

South Korean: "Shit, this may take a while..."

Last edited by Mr_Canada old on Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:33 pm

$1:
Big deal. The Germans did this seventy years ago.

ROTFL

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:33 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:

The Black Panther

Panther = Panzer

Coincidence that the SK are naming their tank after the German tank?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:39 pm

$1:
Panther = Panzer

Plagiarism!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:40 pm

$1:
Panther = Panzer

Don't quote me it is a news article. Anyway the German tank I think you are speaking of was no where near as efficient as this one would be since it is instantaneous between switching from water to land meaning you could go across and river then shoot everyone right away.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:42 pm

None of this is new but it's great to see the South Koreans in heavy industry. I wish Canada would get into making something heavier than the LAV's.

I think
$1:
"Kim Eui-Hwan, the official in charge of the project, said the Black Panther has "more superb capabilities than any other existing tank."

is more into sales than project R&D.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:45 pm

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
$1:
Panther = Panzer

Plagiarism!

Hell, now I'm expecting someone of the Asians to remake Deutschland Uber Alles and claim it as their own.

:roll:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:45 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:
Panther = Panzer

Don't quote me it is a news article. Anyway the German tank I think you are speaking of was no where near as efficient as this one would be since it is instantaneous between switching from water to land meaning you could go across and river then shoot everyone right away.

Oh, we know it isn't you. No worries! :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:49 pm

$1:
The Black Panther

Of course, they could be naming it for these guys...

(the Black Panthers were a US 60's radical group)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:52 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:

Then how about something (Leo 1) from 35 years ago? The snorkel simply unlatches from the commanders hatch.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:55 am

[quote="ridenrain"]None of this is new but it's great to see the South Koreans in heavy industry. I wish Canada would get into making something heavier than the LAV's.

Stop making sense, this is the Military you're talking about! Remember, if it makes sense, do the oppisite :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:47 am

Sorry but the tank is done. Most countries have moved replacement dates for their current technology forward by decades like the US who was to originally replace its Abrahms by 2000, or indefinitely like Canada who is still trying to determine what role (if any) a tank will play in future operations.