Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:48 pm

PluggyRug wrote:
8)

When I went to Normandy a decade ago, I brought a ton of shiny pennies and poppies and left them on as many graves as possible.

Say whatever you want about the French, but they take damned good care of all the young men who never came home. Every cemetery I visited in France was immaculate and lovingly tended. Beautiful flowers, neatly trimmed hedges, lush green grass, our young men reside in a place that is simply spectacular.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:44 am

bootlegga wrote:
PluggyRug wrote:
8)

When I went to Normandy a decade ago, I brought a ton of shiny pennies and poppies and left them on as many graves as possible.

Say whatever you want about the French, but they take damned good care of all the young men who never came home. Every cemetery I visited in France was immaculate and lovingly tended. Beautiful flowers, neatly trimmed hedges, lush green grass, our young men reside in a place that is simply spectacular.

I've never been yet have read and heard the same thing. Not just for WWII but also WWI sites. Recently in an audio book on WWII it had a bit about how Hitler had a WWI memorial site destroyed. It was near where had had the French sign the peace treaty that got them out of WWII. The reason given was he could not stand anything that would remind people that Germany had lost WWI. He felt that it was scandalous that people would remember and thus somehow lesson him and his Nazi Germany. As if the shit they did wasn't enough to make the Nazi vilified through out history.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:14 pm

stratos wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
PluggyRug wrote:
8)

I've never been yet have read and heard the same thing. Not just for WWII but also WWI sites. Recently in an audio book on WWII it had a bit about how Hitler had a WWI memorial site destroyed. It was near where had had the French sign the peace treaty that got them out of WWII. The reason given was he could not stand anything that would remind people that Germany had lost WWI. He felt that it was scandalous that people would remember and thus somehow lesson him and his Nazi Germany. As if the shit they did wasn't enough to make the Nazi vilified through out history.

I'm not sure how accurate the Red Star is, but they reported that Hitler actually assigned the SS to guard Vimy Ridge, because he personally thought it was a great memorial:

https://www.thestar.com/news/2007/04/07 ... ridge.html

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:02 am

Quote:
Alberta team's WWII Halifax bomber rescue gets underway

A team of aviation enthusiasts from Alberta has finally made its way to Sweden to recover a wartime Halifax bomber that has been sitting at the bottom of the Baltic Sea for 76 years.

Work to bring what's left of the Halifax bomber back to southern Alberta got underway this week — after two years of fundraising and planning led by the Bomber Command Museum of Canada.

Members of the museum, along with Swedish colleagues and a team called Halifax 57 Rescue are digging up pieces of the aircraft, which are scattered off the south coast of Sweden.

"It's settled into the sand so we've got a giant vacuum cleaner that uses water and it will suck up the sand and deposit it somewhere else and we'll dig out the airplane," said Karl Kjarsgaard, director of the Nanton Bomber Command Museum.

It's part of a years-long, costly plan to rebuild the iconic aircraft in the museum in Nanton, Alta., located about 90 kilometres south of Calgary. It originally started in 2015 and has been slow to proceed due to delays.

. . .

The Royal Canadian Air Force bomber lost two engines and suffered extensive damage to its flight controls during a raid on Hamburg, Germany, on Aug. 3, 1943.

Its crew of seven were forced to bail out, leaving the plane to plunge into the Baltic Sea.

. . .

Kjarsgaard said there's a misconception among Canadians that bomber crews exclusively flew Lancasters to victory.

"Canadians flew 70 per cent of their combat in the Halifax," he said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5197467

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:04 am

I lost another great friend last week and Mrs. Bart and myself attended his private funeral in Wisconsin on Monday. He did not have a public obituary because he was a very humble and private man. I am posting this here because he deserves to be remembered.

Jakob Markovic (his original name before moving to America) was born in Prague on October 18, 1922. He was known as Jacob Marsh.

When the Germans invaded Czechoslovakia Jakob's parents were arrested for their previous political activities and they were never seen again. He joined with an ad-hoc militia and committed attacks against the Germans within Germany in order to prevent reprisal attacks against Czechs.

Through the course of the war Jakob and his comrades caused numerous disruptions to rail traffic, electrical plants, munitions plants, and they also carried out assassinations of German officials and officers.

After the war he was arrested without charge by the Soviets and he was held in Siberia until his release in 1961. At the time of his release he immediately made his way to Austria and then to the USA where he settled and took work as a teacher in a public school. Jakob never married and he leaves no children.

What he did leave are some fond memories of happy conversations, good times at the range, and he passed on a love of literature and learning to the many people he encountered.

While he may never have worn a uniform he is no less a veteran and a survivor of World War Two than anyone else and he has my respect.

Odpočívej v pokoji

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:12 am

RIP Mr. Markovic

R=EM