CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:06 am

I love how the Ottawa Blues Fest hardly has any Blues acts anymore. :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:17 pm

Yet Another Award for Ottawa's MonkeyJunk!

This one is a biggie gang! The Blues Awards (formerly known as The W.C. Handy Awards)

This notice was sent out by the boys. They cover it all so I will let them speak for themselves.

2010 is the year of the Tiger AND the Monkey!!!

After sweeping the Maple Blues Awards in January and winning the Best Blues Artist at the Canadian Independant Music Awards ,MonkeyJunk is truly honoured and incredibly proud as representatives of Ottawa and Canada to announce that WE WON FOR BEST NEW ARTIST DEBUT for "Tiger In Your Tank" at the 2010 Blues Music Awards in Memphis, TN. MonkeyJunk is the second ever Canadian act in 30 years to win a Blues Music Award (second only to Jeff Healey who won an award last year). We were in the presence of greatness on this night. Buddy Guy, Bonnie Raitt, Pinetop Perkins and many other blues legends were present and we feel very lucky to be recognized in such highly esteemed company. Huge thanks to Jay Sieleman, Joe Whitmer all the staff and volunteers at the Blues Foundation for putting on a first class show. More huge thanks to all of our fans, friends and family that support us in this, our dream, to play our music. We share this award with Jason Jaknunas & Marty Sobb - the engineers that recorded the record and Scotty Doubt who did the layout and design for "Tiger".

Thanks again . . .

Matt, Tony and Steve

http://www.monkeyjunkband.com

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Arctic_Menace wrote:
I love how the Ottawa Blues Fest hardly has any Blues acts anymore. :lol:

I beg to differ. There is plenty of blues acts to see. I will be very busy trying to catch them all. The event has just stretched beyond the bounds of a "Blues Festival" to cover a HUGE amount of music styles. This just makes it the biggest don't ya dare miss it music event in Canada.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:56 pm

MAJOR BLUES NEWS!!!

As of June 1 Canada has it's first blues radio station. 101.9 DAWG FM is on the air. If you are not in the Ottawa \ Gatineau national capital region you can also stream from the website.

http://bluesincanada.com/

TAKE THE DAWG FOR A WALK!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:45 am

Pics from the 101.9 DAWG Kick Off at Tucson's in Ottawa June 1

Raffled Guitar

Owners & Station Manager along with The Big DAWG! welcoming the crowd
Left to Right "The Big DAWG", Frank Torres, Todd Bernard, Ed Torres

JW Jones Band

Much Acclaimed band MonkeyJunk

Canadian blues legend Jack De Keyser

The station will start regular programing on this coming Monday. Until then it is broadcasting it's signal with a three hour test showing the mix of music that will be offered. You will also receive information on the programing and the on air personalities hosting those shows.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:14 am

OBS Road To Memphis this month in Ottawa
This year The Ottawa Blues Society will send competitors for both Band and Single-Duo categories. If you are in Ottawa you have to try to see some or all of this event. It is becoming a major spring board for regional Blues talent.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:23 am

Anyone interested in the blues should check out these guys, not your typical blues but fits the bill.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:05 am

This year's nominees for the 14th Maple Blues Awards

Here is the link
http://www.mapleblues.ca/nominees.aspx

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:45 pm

I just heard about this one and since they are not visiting Ottawa I gotta tell you about it. One of my favorite bands is coming in for two Canadian shows.

If you love Texas Blues or just ONE FINE BLUES BAND! You can't miss these guys. Trust me go see'em, you'll thank me! DON'T MISS THIS SHOW!!!

Smokin' Joe Kubek Band & Bnois King
"Raucous, high-energy Texas roadhouse blues-rock. Blistering guitar solos, irresistible shuffles and subtle ballads." -Living Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F71uYdY ... re=related

The red-hot rockin' Texas blues band Smokin' Joe Kubek and Bnois King will celebrate the release of their new CD, Have Blues, Will Travel with a live performance at El Mocambo in Toronto on Thursday, December 2, 2010. Kubek's raucous roadhouse fretwork is expertly complimented by the equally fiery guitar and soulful vocals of Bnois King. Together, the two create a one-two punch of raw, tough, Lone Star blues-rock.

Date: Thursday, December 2
Venue: El Mocambo
Address: 464 Spadina Ave.
City: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA

Showtime: 6:30pm
Ticket price: $20 advance / $25 day of show

Their website says they will also be playing

Dec 03, 2010 - The Sutton Park Inn - Kincardine, Ontario, CANADA

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:17 am

Another good one to look out for. I do wish these shows were coming in to Ottawa. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBeuco0PgJs

James Cotton and His Chicago Blues Band Fri. Dec. 10 Picton Regent Theatre

Grammy Award Winner, Blues Icon James Cotton plays the Regent Theatre Picton, Ontario Canada Friday December 10th, 8pm. Tickets $39.50 (includes HST and Building Improvement Fund). Box office (613) 476-8416 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (613) 476-8416      end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (613) 476-8416      end_of_the_skype_highlighting An evening with a true living legend. Presented by Zapp! Productions. http://www.zapp-productions.com
JAMES COTTON
The musical pedigree of Grammy Award winner James “Superharp” Cotton consists of a veritable who’s who in the world of the Blues.

Inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame in 2006, the Smithsonian Institute in 1991, and winner of countless W.C. Handy Blues Awards, he has shared the stage with B.B. King, The Rolling Stones, Johnny Winter, the Allman Brothers, Santana, Bonnie Raitt, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Sam and Dave, The Grateful Dead among many others.

An orphan at the age of nine, he was raised in Mississippi by his mentor, Sonny Boy Williamson, who remains famous for his many unique songs and innovative Delta Blues harmonica style. As a young teenager Cotton befriended Howlin’ Wolf and joined forces with him playing Mississippi and Arkansas juke joints for two years. During that time Cotton hosted his own afternoon radio show in West Memphis, and also recorded “Cotton Crop Blues” and three other songs on Sun Records in Memphis.

In 1954 when Muddy Waters needed a harmonica player, he found Cotton playing a club in Arkansas and took him to Chicago. Cotton remained with Waters for 12 years not only playing shows but also recording with him on Chess Records. One of the highlights of that period came when Cotton arranged the ever-popular anthem for the blues, “Got My Mojo Workin’, “ which was played for the first time by the Muddy Waters Band at the Newport Jazz Festival in 1961.

In 1966 Cotton formed his James Cotton Blues Band which continues to showcase his immense talent and keeps him one of the most sought-after, hard-driving, seminal blues musicians touring the world today. Cotton passionately explains, ”My audience always tells me how I’m doing. If I look out there and don’t like what I see, I work harder.” His audiences are still on their feet, they enjoy themselves as much as he does, and there continue to be standing ovations night after night.

You will have a memorable evening with an international treasure and a true Living Legend of the Blues. The year 2010 is Cotton’s 66th year in the entertainment business. What an amazing adventure “Superharp” is experiencing with his little harmonica.

Visit http://www.jamescottonsuperharp.com for an extended biography and more information.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:13 pm

BluesBud wrote:
I just heard about this one and since they are not visiting Ottawa I gotta tell you about it. One of my favorite bands is coming in for two Canadian shows.

If you love Texas Blues or just ONE FINE BLUES BAND! You can't miss these guys. Trust me go see'em, you'll thank me! DON'T MISS THIS SHOW!!!

Smokin' Joe Kubek Band & Bnois King
"Raucous, high-energy Texas roadhouse blues-rock. Blistering guitar solos, irresistible shuffles and subtle ballads." -Living Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F71uYdY ... re=related

The red-hot rockin' Texas blues band Smokin' Joe Kubek and Bnois King will celebrate the release of their new CD, Have Blues, Will Travel with a live performance at El Mocambo in Toronto on Thursday, December 2, 2010. Kubek's raucous roadhouse fretwork is expertly complimented by the equally fiery guitar and soulful vocals of Bnois King. Together, the two create a one-two punch of raw, tough, Lone Star blues-rock.

Date: Thursday, December 2
Venue: El Mocambo
Address: 464 Spadina Ave.
City: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA

Showtime: 6:30pm
Ticket price: $20 advance / $25 day of show

Their website says they will also be playing

Dec 03, 2010 - The Sutton Park Inn - Kincardine, Ontario, CANADA

I bumped this to request that if you take me up on seeing this show please let me know what you thought. I envy you being able to see this show. :cry:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:25 am

Blues Grammy nominations announced

Best Traditional Blues Album - Vocal or Instrumental

1. GIANT - James Cotton
[Alligator]

2. MEMPHIS BLUES - Cyndi Lauper
[Mercer Street Records]

3. THE WELL - Charlie Musselwhite
[Alligator]

4. JOINED AT THE HIP - Pinetop Perkins & Willie 'Big Eyes' Smith
[Telarc]

5. PLAYS BLUES, BALLADS & FAVORITES - Jimmie Vaughan
[Shout! Factory]

Best Contemporary Blues Album - Vocal or Instrumental

1. NOTHING'S IMPOSSIBLE - Solomon Burke
[E1 Music]

2. TRIBAL - Dr. John And The Lower 911
[429 Records]

3. LIVING PROOF - Buddy Guy
[Silvertone/Jive]

4. INTERPRETATIONS: THE BRITISH ROCK SONGBOOK - Bettye LaVette
[ANTI-]

5. LIVE! IN CHICAGO - Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band Featuring Hubert Sumlin, Willie "Big Eyes" Smith, Bryan Lee, And Buddy Flett
[Roadrunner/Loud & Proud Records]

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on Smokin' Joe Kubek. Just checked out a couple of their YouTube vids and they kick some serious butt.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:27 pm

Ottawa's Monkey Junk the big winner again at the Maple Blues Awards
Monday, 17 January 2011 21:09 The Canadian Press

TORONTO - For the second year in a row, Monkey Junk were the big winners at the Maple Blues Awards.

The Ottawa group took three trophies at Monday night's gala, winning for electric act of the year, harmonica player of the year (Steve Marriner) and drummer of the year (Matt Sobb).

A year ago, Monkey Junk won five awards including entertainer of the year.

This year, that honour went to New Brunswick blues man Matt Andersen, who also won for acoustic act of the year.

Meanwhile, Nova Scotia native Garrett Mason won guitar player of the year, Toronto's Shakura S'Aida won female vocalist of the year, Georgia-raised Fathead singer John Mays won male vocalist of the year, Montreal native Mike (Shrimp Daddy) Reid won for new artist of the year and Toronto's Downchild took recording of the year.

Hamilton's Rita Chiarelli won the Blues With a Feeling Award for lifetime achievement, while fellow Hamilton native Richard Newell” a.k.a. King Biscuit Boy” was recognized post-humously with a special lifetime achievement award as well. Newell died in 2003.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:40 pm

The full list of winners

14th Annual Maple Blues Awards 2011
2011 Maple Blues Awards Winners...

Entertainer of the Year •Matt Andersen

Electric Act of the Year •Monkey Junk

Acoustic Act of the Year •Matt Andersen

Male Vocalist of the Year •John Mays (Fathead)

Female Vocalist of the Year •Shakura S'Aida

New Artist of Group of the Year •Mike “Shrimp Daddy" Reid

Recording of the Year •Downchild - I Need A Hat

B.B. King International Artist of the Year •Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi Band

Guitar Player of the Year •Garrett Mason

Harmonica Player of the Year •Steve Marriner

Piano/Keyboard Player of the Year •Julian Fauth

Horn Player of the Year •Chris Whiteley

Drummer of the Year •Matt Sobb

Bassist of the Year •Keith Picot

Songwriter of the Year •Paul Reddick & Colin Linden

Blues Booster of the Year - Gord MacAulay

Special Lifetime Achievement Award - Richard Newell

Blues With A Feeling (Lifetime Achievement) Award - Rita Chiarelli

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  Next