bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:40 am

i saw this in the paper this morning and i thought it would make a cool thread

How do you sum up a decade in just 10 musical works?

From top left to bottom right: Dixie Chicks, Radiohead's Thom Yorke,
members of the YouTube Symphony Orchestra, Kanye West,
Amy Winehouse, Beyoncé, The Freelance Hellraiser,
Susan Boyle, Broken Social Scene, Kylie Minogue.

Secure in the knowledge that whatever list you come up with will infuriate 95 per cent of your readers, that’s how. But, hey, fools that we are, we’ve gone and done it anyway. That’s what “letters to the editor” are for.

Keep a couple of things in mind whilst perusing the Star’s choices for the most significant albums, tracks, online videos etc. of the past 10 years.

Firstly, the eclectic assortment of sounds that follows doesn’t pretend to represent simply the best, or the most popular, or even the most interesting musical works of the nascent new millennium. Rather, they’re the ones that fomented or embodied a particular cultural moment. This is the stuff that got people talking or madly emailing YouTube links, the stuff that stunned us with its originality, that kick started movements and launched careers into the stratosphere. Whether you like it or not, it’s all stuff that mattered, stuff that captured the popular imagination.

Secondly, the list is woefully incomplete, but that’s the case with all lists. Obviously, we’ve painted ourselves into a corner by limiting our review of a decade — in which tens of thousands of excellent pieces of music were unleashed — to 10 items. Think of this as a good place to start. Nothing more, nothing less.

source

Pick the decade's best and you could win

Our critics have been selecting the most import works from various fields all year. Now it's your turn. Vote in our poll to pick the 10 most important works of the decade from our critics' choices and you'll be automatically entered into a draw to win prizes including tickets to a Guns N' Roses concert.

CLICK HERE TO VOTE AND ENTER CONTEST

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:43 am

Who are the last two people in the picture? :?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:10 pm

Sorry kitty as much as I love your banner, unfortunately music isn't the only category with this contest.

While checking out their music category, these are the only choices....

"Jesus Walks", Kanye West

"Kid A", Radiohead

"I Dream a Dream", Susan Boyle

Back to Black, Amy Winehouse

"A Stroke of Genie-us", Freelance Hellraiser

"You Forgot It In People", Broken Social Scene

"Can't Get You Out of My Head", Kylie Minogue

YouTube Symphony, various

"Taking the Long Way", Dixie Chicks

"Crazy in Love", Beyonce

~~~~

Not even one Billy Talent song on that list, tsk tsk

Shame Toronto Star, I'll pass on Paxil Rose from G'nR as well.