canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:04 pm

On August 10th, Jon "Hammond" Lord, former keyboard player for Deep Purple announced he had cancer.
I've been a Deep Purple fan since I was 5-6 yrs old. It was Jon Lord who inspired me to take up keyboards. He was the first one to show it was cool to be a keyboardist in a hard rock band.

Jon has always been a class act and probably the least rock starish of rock stars.

I hope you join me in wishing Jon a full and speedy recovery.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:19 pm

I certainly do. One of the all time classic rock bands!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:36 pm

Cancer sucks ass. I lost my dad last year to it. Hope Jon pulls through!

Last edited by llama66 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:46 pm

I LOVE Deep Purple. I saw them at Maple Leaf Gardens when I was in highschool (April 8, 1985). It was a weird day. Three of us skipped school and got on the Greyhound to Toronto. You could smoke cigarettes on the busses back then and we thought that was pretty cool. We could smoke without worrying about mommy or daddy spying us in the act. My buddy, Dave, went to the pisser on the bus and when he got back, he claimed he'd pissed out the window. This is while we were busting across Hwy 401. So now my other buddy and I have to go check out the pisser to see if such a thing is possible. Sure as shit, there's this little vent, maybe 6" in diameter with a flap like a dryer vent. Pissing out the bus was possible. We didn't believe Dave until we docked at the Toronto Bus Station. We confirmed that there was a liquid smear on the side of the bus from the vent, having washed away the road dust in its path.

We get to the Gardens and we see this bald kid (before the days when people shaved their heads, this dude was 17 years old and bald) and he was absolutely wasted, staggering all over the goddamn sidewalk. We laughed and agreed there was no way security was ever gonna let that guy into the concert. We get in and all pick up a concert t-shirt, which always SEEMS like a ripoff, but the fucking things last forever. I still have the Purple shirt from that night (as well as the ticket stub). It's way too small for me now but I use it to wipe the chaulk from by dartboard scoreboard.

We get up to our seats. This was the one and only time I ever sat way up top at the Gardens in the greys. Who's sitting in the seat right beside us? The bald kid that was stumbling all over Carlton Street a half-hour ago. He pulls out a pipe he’d fashioned out of a BIC pen and a tin-foil bowl. The hash is flying. Whenever I smell a hash joint I think of that concert. Out comes the opening act, Girlschool. I thought they were kinda shitty and not good looking enough to make up for it, like the Go-Gos.

Finally Purple hits the stage. They open with Highway Star. I’m high by then, thanks to Baldy ( I never did get his name) and the tunes hit me like a hammer. At one point Jon Lord got into a keyboard solo. It started out cool, then it came to a point where it was getting pretty obnoxious and I really wanted him to stop. I recall Child In Time being the highlight of the show. I've seen many hundreds of concerts in my lifetime and I rank that Deep Purple show very highly on the list. Feel better, Jon.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:03 pm

Great memory Lemmy!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:05 am

Was that teh Perfect Strangers tour? I saw that one too. Jon Lord's solo was simply amazing. Could of heard a pin drop. So much talent in that band. Ian Gillan was wasted--chugging JD art the side of the stage. Didn't seem to affect his performance though. He was wailing.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:23 am

Remembering Deep Purple 40 years later, I paid $3 for a ticket and lost 80% of my hearing.
As a really old devotee, I still consider Machine Head as their "Jumping the shark" album.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:05 am

Well folks, I just heard that Jon passed away around July 16th :cry:

RIP Jon. Keep rockin' the heavens [B-o]

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:12 am

I posted the story last week. Thought there would have been a few comments on it, but maybe no one noticed.

http://www.canadaka.net/link.php?id=75788

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:17 am

Damn, dunno how I missed that :oops:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:30 am

It's always surprising to me how many rockers had classical training in their youth, including Lord. Garth Hudson charged each member of The Band $15/month for "lessons." It was the only way he could appease his parents who were disappointed to see him leave classical music. Ritchie Blackmore also had a year of classical guitar as a kid.