bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:13 am

A friend sent this to me yesterday.

Once upon a time there was a happy land of musicians who knew their limitations
and accepeted them. In that land there was a great variety of music of all kinds.
Musicians played what they felt and people listened and were amazed.
But into that land came a dark and shadowy force. Suddenly, in this mix of creativitity
and expression came a need to re-enact rockstars who had long since passed.

Suddenly, the standards dropped. Everyone who climbed upon a stage was trying to either
be a "classic rock" band or a neauvo pop punk band. Originality was laid to waste as everyone
did their best to strike a pose. Cliche's became the accepted norm, and standards dropped
even further. Soon there came a time where playing in a band was nothing more than a popularity
contest, and what someone had to say or the music with which they said that became completely
secondary.

Suddenly, predictable became the treasured. Songs were written that departed from honest
and the lyrical focus became more about using small words that people could understand without
thinking. Honesty became "emo". Rebellion became fashionable. The spirit of punk rock became
lost in a wash of predictability and trying to either get attention or get laid. Anyone trying
to re-gain their youth or proving something took to the stage and found themselves rehashing
things that had been said years before or striking a pose.

And a dark age of egotism and mediocre descended upon the land.
This state was only made worse by the sheer availability of technology. Suddenly, bands that
would normally have no business putting their music to tape were putting out cd's. Anyone with
a few hundred dollars could create their "masterpiece" and with all of their friends impressed
by the fact that they knew someone who played in a "rock band", they sold enough copies so that
they could convince themselves that they were at something. No one was ever really listening,
but that didn't matter. People came out and the bar owners were happy, so there you be.

But somewhere in this wash of mediocrity, the people got bored. It was far easier to simply
download music than to go out and take a chance. Chances had gotten sketchy, and the odds
were that you would see some band that mom and pop had paid for because they needed their
children to be something rather than real musical talent. Either that or you would just see some
AC/DC cover band playing the greatest hits that you could get on a jukebox at 3 for $1.
And at 3 for $1, you at least get to choose the song.
So clubs became the popular, and in the few clubs that played live music, things became stretched
Cabarets became the only thing to do, not because of diversity of music, but because at least
that way three or four bands brought out their friends.

And in a land where music was once grown,
it withered.
Bands came and went with the flourish of popcorn.
Tasty, but easily forgotten.
Creativity had died.

Tell him he is Wrong!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:28 am

He isn't wrong, for the most part. Creativity isn't so much dead as it has merely become unprofitable. It's so easy for record companies to slap together another boy band or britney spears stipper clone or whatever flavour of the month it is. They're cheap to produce and some people will buy their albums no matter how wretched they are.

Once in a while someone breaks through the mold and is successful at it.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:10 am

Exactly, In fact just about everybody that ever aspired to become a Rockstar did it for a similar reason, Oh they will tell you it's all about the music (and some of it is) but most of it is for fame! Money and Chicks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:18 am

Meh, as long as I find some songs that I enjoy listening to I really don't care.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:23 am

Sounds like an old song, I used to know how it goes. It was sad and it was sweet, and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes.

It went something like,...

A long, long time ago...
I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And, maybe, they’d be happy for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:29 am

Isn't that American Pie by Don Don McLean?

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:30 am

Crizzle Crizzle:
Isn't that American Pie by Don Don McLean?

maybe,... who wants to know?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:33 am

I dunnno, I just remembered that that was the song.

*Runs to download* :P

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:47 am

Once upon a time, they said 'bubblegum' and the monkees and the partridge family were going to kill rock 'n roll. Well they didn't. They said the same of disco, punk, new wave, rap, and boy bands. But rock goes on.

I figure as long as one kid is inspired to take-up guitar, drums, synth or whatever, rock will go on. And who really cares what inspires that kid. As long as he or she has something to say that wouldn't sound as relevant without a backbeat and a power chord, there ain't enough cynical, greedy old men (or new age enterpreneurs) to kill rock.

Last edited by GunPlumber on Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:48 am

yeah but for how long has musuc been put into the good 'ol recycle bin? for years its been a good band that has heard a good band that copied a good band. jeez what do we do to get some real new music, or am i missing the point here?? :?

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:55 am

simma2000 simma2000:
yeah but for how long has musuc been put into the good 'ol recycle bin? for years its been a good band that has heard a good band that copied a good band. jeez what do we do to get some real new music, or am i missing the point here?? :?

Elvis started by copying negro blues and gospel. The Beatles came to fame by rebranding American rock songs. Ditto the Stones, Jimi, Led Zep. Rock has always fed on outside sources, when it isn't too busy recycling itself.

It's the nature of the beast. Each generation takes something from the ones that came before, polishes it up, and says "here, look what I made."

And the beat goes on, and the beat goes on. And on, and on, and on,...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:59 am

yeah suppose its true, but a tad sad no??