bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:00 am

I've always considered McCartney to be one of the greatest musical geniuses of all time (at least when he was with the Beatles), but this kind of crap is really disappointing:

$1:
Paul McCartney Sells Out

by Scott Colothan on 9/9/2005

Paul McCartney seems to have turned his back on his old beliefs about advertising after an American TV advert featured footage of Macca.
The Beatles legend hasn’t allowed his work to be used in commercials since the early sixties and, according to the Beeb, was quoted three years ago saying: "we're not in the business of singing jingles".

Now, a financial investment company has used images of Macca together with his seventies hit ‘Band on the Run’ for a commercial. The company is also sponsoring Macca’s US tour.

According to The Daily Mirror, this advert is no flash in the pan. They claim McCartney has submitted twenty of his songs to be considered for ads.

Paul McCartney Sells Out!

I mean, this guy seems to have some kind of conscience, what with his vegetarianism and all, so why does he have to prostitute himself to an investment firm? Doesn't he have enough money? :? :x :(

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:51 pm

Maybe he is in a game of 'one-upmanship' with the Rolling Stones.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:32 pm

He couldnt spend all the money he has ... what a whore..

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:35 pm

I like his new album.

Nobody gets as big as the beatles were/are with out selling out in some way, so I don't see the big deal.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:38 pm

that it's anyone's business but his.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:56 pm

WDHIII WDHIII:
figfarmer figfarmer:
that it's anyone's business but his.

Exactly - at the end of the day hes the one that has to look in the mirror and if hes OK with what he sees who are we to judge?

We can judge all we want. We are the ones that judged his music to be good and made him rich and famous.

I wonder what things would be like if John was still with us.....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:01 pm

Ripcat Ripcat:
We can judge all we want. We are the ones that judged his music to be good and made him rich and famous.

His music is the point, not his business career. If he in some punk band singing about screwing "the man" then judging him this way might make sense.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:11 pm

I know, it's crazy, but I've always had a strange affinity with JL. We share birthdays, are both songwriters who don't like our own voices, like playing at graphics etc. etc.

It isn't strange or wrong or anything to write songs that display a different viewpoint than that which is our own. Indeed, that is how we explore our worlds; the way we fantasise, if you will. I have written stuff from the strangest perspectives one can imagine and come away a little wiser each time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:11 pm

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
Ripcat Ripcat:

His music is the point, not his business career. If he in some punk band singing about screwing "the man" then judging him this way might make sense.

The thing is that the Beatles were (at least in their later years) a pretty anti-establishment group. Challenging the powers that be was a big part of what they were about. McCartney has been nailed a number of times for drug possession and has been an animal-rights activist and high-profile vegetarian. So he does have a political sensibility, and up until now that sensibility has been anything but conservative.

But it seems that has now changed. He's now willing to take money he doesn't need (what's he worth? over a billion?) in exchange for plugging an investment firm! I just think it's really sad....

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:09 pm

Of course we can! It's what humans do......

Paul is/was a role model for many people. You can't chose a role model without judging that person's actions, personality etc....