canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:33 pm

H

Last edited by Lemmy on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:39 pm

I haven't seen the DVD, but I've heard the live album. It's just awesome. They turned up the crunch for Snakes and Arrows. My previous favorite Rush was Red Sector A, as from A Show of Hands. But now I think it's Witch Hunt from Snakes and Arrows Live. I'm getting shivers up my spine just thinking about it. I love the new instrumental Hope (though the instrumentals are really the only good songs on the new album).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:12 pm

I

Last edited by Lemmy on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:30 pm

Lemmy wrote:
I think, along with Losing It, Witch Hunt is Peart's best lyric. My favourite tune, hands down, is The Spirit of Radio (I think it's the greatest rock song of all time), but from the Snakes and Arrows DVD I really love their versions of Mission and Entre Nous (I have a thing for Goldtop Les Pauls). And, the sound of that old, white Gibson ES-335 on YYZ and Passage to Bankok in the encore is SOOOOOO SWEEEEEET. [drool]

Yea, I should have bought a Gibson, or at least an Epiphone, Les Paul. Instead I bought a Mexican Strat, all single coils. 'Course anything sounds good in a good amp, which I don't have. :cry:

Oh well. Maybe in a few years I'll have the disposable income for a decent amp.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:34 pm

hurley_108 wrote:
Yea, I should have bought a Gibson, or at least an Epiphone, Les Paul. Instead I bought a Mexican Strat, all single coils. 'Course anything sounds good in a good amp, which I don't have. :cry:

Oh well. Maybe in a few years I'll have the disposable income for a decent amp.

What really helps things along is a decent processor. Pick up a Digitech RP350 for about $150. It'll give you any effect you want, cabinet modelling, etc. You can make a $100 practise amp sound like a 57 Fender Twin Reverb or a 77 Marshall J100.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:50 pm

Saw them twice on the S&A tour, so no need for me to pick up the DVD.

Gotta say, best live act I've ever seen. The crowd in Montreal terrible though. Peart's drum solos should be on a list of things to see before you die, they're not human. Just blown away by the amount of noise three guys can make live.

Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:25 pm

I caught the Snakes & Arrow tour in Ottawa, Sept. 21, 2007. Absolutely mesmerizing. I have the ticket stub displayed proudly on my computer desk as a reminder of that wonderful night of music.

Yes, the Les Paul Goldtop is a nice guitar. Used to own one. I traded it for a 1982 Tobacco Sunburst Les Paul Custom. Bought it brand new in '82 and it was the best money I ever spent. I play it through a 60W Fender Hot Rod DeVille with 4x10" speakers. I use a Boss ME-50 effects unit. More bells and whistles than I'll ever need.