Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:07 am

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010 ... album.html

$1:
After a 13-year break, Soundgarden is releasing its new album through the Guitar Hero video game series — and its frontman believes it's the perfect way to reintroduce the band to a new generation.

"In the obvious way, it's going to reach a certain amount of younger people that either may or may not know about Soundgarden," frontman Chris Cornell said in a recent interview. "No matter what, I feel like releasing it this way is going to reach a lot of people who have not heard our music or have not heard a lot of it."

Telephantasm is a retrospective CD that features some of the grunge band's biggest hits from its 1990s heyday, as well as unreleased cuts.

It was released this week as part of Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock. It's being touted as the first time a new album has been released in conjunction with a video game and it has already been declared platinum, based on the games shipped. The album will be released Tuesday as a traditional CD.

Cornell said this isn't the first time Soundgarden has had its music featured in a video game, but this new partnership is a rarity, and the Guitar Hero partnership is the perfect marriage.

"I thought about doing this ever since I've heard about the game and what it is," the 46-year-old singer said. "I think the musical arrangements lend itself so well to what the video game is."

I wonder if dayseed has been doing his air guitar calisthenics?? :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:39 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
I wonder if dayseed has been doing his air guitar calisthenics?? :lol:

Yup. Although Telephantasm only has Black Rain on it which was previously unreleased. Which I just bought through iTunes the day it was available. To you assholes that got it via torrent, show your support of the comeback!

Had Telephantasm been a collection of their B-Sides, like Cold Bitch or She Likes Surprises (yes, I'm aware that was on the vinyl Superunknown, but fuck that, who wants vinyl? It cracks, it pops and that's even with a hifi player and zero-stating the record.) I would have bought the album. I'm not that interested in Guitar Hero anymore, besides, on the PSN, it looks like you can buy just about every song ever made so what's the big deal about getting a new edition?

The most important thing though, is that I read that Chris Cornell is entertaining writing new material as Soundgarden. While right now he said it might be limited to one song, the Stone Temple Pilots said the exact same thing and their 2010 album was goddamn good. Better than their other albums, save Purple.

Plus, I watched Cornell do Slaves and Bulldozers live at Lollapalooza this past August. (On YouTube...re-reading that made it sound like I went to Chicago). He's still got the chops to banshee out the screams if need be for any new material.

I think Trevor should just make a Soundgarden section.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:05 am

Pssht, Alice in Chains was better.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:15 am

Unsound Unsound:
Pssht, Alice in Chains was better.

I enjoyed Dirt immensely, and I enjoyed Jar of Flies (which I believe is the best-selling EP to date). However, I didn't like the album with Heaven Beside You (bloody repetitive). I think it had the three-legged dog on the cover. (I refuse to go to wikipedia and look it up.)

That said, following the death of Layne Stanley, I just wasn't all that interested for Black and Blue. Check My Brain wasn't a bad song, but it didn't have the energy from Dirt. That said, I'd probably pick out a few songs from it for my iPhone since I still dig Jerry Cantrell.

BUT, Soundgarden is back and fully formed with the members that made Badmotorfinger, Superunknown and Down on the Upside. Matt Cameron's stayed sharp with Pearl Jam (The Fixer was a good song) writing songs. Cornell wrote Carry On and that Scream piece-of-shit, Sheppard did Hater the 2nd and I think Thayill just sat around and grew his beard.

Fingers crossed.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:43 pm

thats a creative way to release an album. keep it up! seems like traditional ways to release an album are slowly dying.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:54 pm

Black Rain

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:09 pm

wow that is devil worshiping music suitable only for 12 year boys that want agressive music to masturbate to.

Repent! and play country music! :twisted: