Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:21 am

2 Weeks ago, even after reading in the Calgary Herald, I never would have thought I was going to go see the greatest show I have ever seen. In Saskatoon at the Odeon The Arcade Fire show opened up with a foursome called Bell Orchestre, 3 of whom (Sara, Pietro, Richard) are actually part of The Arcade Fire, a very nice story telling orchetrial expirence w/o any singing. The next band was the high energy Wolf Parade, flailing, drinking, and smokeing was a must with these boys. They really got the crowd going with their tune "Shine A Light"... Then it was The Arcade Fires turn on stage. There wasn't anyone in the whole place that wasn't moving. The music was flawless, loud and amazing. After they played Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) the crowd was going crazy, chanting inbetween songs, and screaming the whole way through. After the show everyone was drenched in sweat, I even saw a few people crying with joy. Everyone felt as if they had been touched by the music gods that night.

Of course after a show like that, even if it was Sunday night, we had to go out on the town. We hit Amigos just off of Broadway, and who shows up there but Richard Parry and Tim Kingsbury of the Arcade Fire. My friends and I seized the opportunity to meet them both. Things went on from there, accompanied by drinks, and I ended up having a late night dinner with Tim and most of Wolf Parade at the Olympia resturant. From there we all went over to the after party in the Basement. I got trashed, and chit chatted with Sara Neufield and the drummer from Wolf Parade, about playing with David Bowie, they were a bit modest about it. They were more excited to talk about being on Letterman just before.

The next day I gave Tim a call b/c I had owed a couple guys from Wolf Parade $40 on a lost bet, and he invited me and some friends up to their Edmonton show the next day. Honored and still blown away by the show I packed my bags and headed for the Alberta capitol. I didn't get to hang out much with them while there, but getting to see their show one more time really put a great golden lid on one of the greatest musical expiriences of my life.

Dorsey

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:34 am

Oooh, the girls are cute!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:57 am

Rats -- missed this show and heard it was awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:28 am

I've been to 3 of their shows, and would gladly return for a 4th!
The energy of the later shows amazes me. I never expected them to wind up at a place like the PNE forum. It was nice to be in a crowd where everyone is genuinely exited to watch a genuine band. But I think the first show was my favourite. It was before Funeral came out, in Toronto... they were opening at the Olympic island concert, and everyone was pretty much standing there and wondering "what the heck is this?" pretty much in shocked awe witnessing them for the first time.