CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:41 am

U What is more like it.......never liked their music... Was always missing something to me.....................

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:43 am

hurley_108 hurley_108:
Nope. They were good up to and including the Joshua Tree, but everything since has been really bland. The music has just been about staying relevant so they can continue their activist role. IMNSHO.

Exactly what I have thought of them. They've been coasting on their fame since the Joshua Tree.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:50 am

diggerdick diggerdick:
U What is more like it.......never liked their music... Was always missing something to me.....................

U-Who?

They had Joshua Tree and then a decade of acting as though they were living saints of 'cool' and 'world conscious'. I don't want to get my 'protest' information from a musician. Musicians don't know squat. They should just do what they do best.

I swear if I hear 'sunday-bloody sunday' one more time there'll be a bloody sunday. I mean I care about Ireland? No. I don't. Just sit there and be green and drunk and shut up.

/rant

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:54 am

Brenda Brenda:
raydan raydan:
I wasn't excluding U2 fans from the discussion and would have liked to hear their point of view.
Girls (and maybe even guys :? ) that like U2 only because Bono or Edge are hot, are excluded from this forum. :wink:

The Edge IS hot! :lol:

SECURITY!!!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:01 am

raydan raydan:
Brenda Brenda:
raydan raydan:
I wasn't excluding U2 fans from the discussion and would have liked to hear their point of view.
Girls (and maybe even guys :? ) that like U2 only because Bono or Edge are hot, are excluded from this forum. :wink:

The Edge IS hot! :lol:

SECURITY!!!

I'll get the tazer.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 am

To be fair, how could U2 have done better after The Joshua Tree? How can any subsequent album from U2 compare?

But I'm also with Sandorski, War was their best album (and my personal favourite), but it was also their most political as well. As to their political activism, so what? At the very least Bono hast ried to educate himself somewhat about the issues he talks about which is a far sight better than a lot of other celebrities.

As for me when the concert was annouced for Vancouver, I was excited. Seeing U2 is still on my bucket list and I'd like to start scratching some things off that list...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:23 am

xerxes xerxes:
To be fair, how could U2 have done better after The Joshua Tree? How can any subsequent album from U2 compare?

But I'm also with Sandorski, War was their best album (and my personal favourite), but it was also their most political as well. As to their political activism, so what? At the very least Bono hast ried to educate himself somewhat about the issues he talks about which is a far sight better than a lot of other celebrities.

As for me when the concert was annouced for Vancouver, I was excited. Seeing U2 is still on my bucket list and I'd like to start scratching some things off that list...

Agreed, War was a very good album, by far their best. I seen them back in the late 80's on the Joshua Tree tour and the show was excellent. I'd be afraid that todays show would concentrate on all their latest "music" thus making me very ill! PDT_Armataz_01_32

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:26 am

If I get tickets, I'll survive as long they don't play anything off of Zooropa or Rattle and Hum.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:04 pm

I agree after Joshua Tree, they suck. Some of the stuff is catchy but nothing like their older albums where every song was great. I saw them in Montreal for Joshua Tree, about 60 000 people, great show. Bono had a cast on his arm from falling off the stage of a previous show.

My friend met Bono in Ireland back in the 90's at a pub. He asked him about John Cougar Mellencamp since he had heard he had met him. And Bono pull a hissy, told him basically " Everyone is interested in talking about me, whats wrong with you"

That was back in the 90's then Nirvana exploded and put his ego in his place.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:06 pm

No Line is an absolutely awful album. At least Atomic Bomb had the buzz-saw guitar and bass tracks on "Vertigo" and a couple of other songs to give the record a bit of a kick. I have to painfully agree that U2's just too far displaced from their prime. They're all middle-aged, they're too rich, they don't have to work hard anymore, and they live in a celebrity world where what used to motivate them doesn't exist anymore. They're in the category now with guys like Sting, Rod Stewart, Bryan Adams, or Phil Collins. They used to be able to rock it out but now they just seem to want to go on cruise control.

I always figured a musician should pack it it when he reaches the point that he only appeals to the middle-aged women who watch Oprah. U2's at that stage now. This saddens me incredibly as they were my favourite band EVAH from roughly about 1982 through to 2000. Maybe the rock stations not playing No Line will send 'em a message but from what I've seen of these guys and their collective egos it probably won't sink in at all.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Thanos Thanos:
No Line is an absolutely awful album. At least Atomic Bomb had the buzz-saw guitar and bass tracks on "Vertigo" and a couple of other songs to give the record a bit of a kick. I have to painfully agree that U2's just too far displaced from their prime. They're all middle-aged, they're too rich, they don't have to work hard anymore, and they live in a celebrity world where what used to motivate them doesn't exist anymore. They're in the category now with guys like Sting, Rod Stewart, Bryan Adams, or Phil Collins. They used to be able to rock it out but now they just seem to want to go on cruise control.

I always figured a musician should pack it it when he reaches the point that he only appeals to the middle-aged women who watch Oprah. U2's at that stage now. This saddens me incredibly as they were my favourite band EVAH from roughly about 1982 through to 2000. Maybe the rock stations not playing No Line will send 'em a message but from what I've seen of these guys and their collective egos it probably won't sink in at all.

The kind of energy they had in their youth is almost impossible at this age. If you can find it, watch Live at Red Oaks(IIRC) and see how high their energy was back in the 80's. If Bono tried that today he'd be finished after 20 minutes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:43 pm

But on the other hand, Madonna is practically a GILF and she worksit at every one of her concerts.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:46 pm

Lemon was a major lemon.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:54 pm

You're thinking of the Pop I'm guessing. Even though the Edge himself said he doesn't like the album, I think there's more good songs on there than Zooropa:

But yeah, the whole concept of that tour was a little too pretentious for its own good.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:22 am

Zooropa was awesome because it still had that killer vibe from Achtung Baby. Yeah, Lemon wouldn't have been the one I chose for major single release from that particular album (I would have preferred that the title track or Babyface had gotten that honour) but Numb and Stay, and Wanderer with Johnny Cash still totally killed.

Too bad though that "pretentious" and "pompous" have sorta walked hand-in-hand with U2 since the beginning. If you like laughing at self-righteous knobs then the best part of the Rattle And Hum film was when Bono had his tantrum during Silver And Gold and the audience zoned out of his overkill rant against South Africa.

Sandorski wrote:

$1:
The kind of energy they had in their youth is almost impossible at this age. If you can find it, watch Live at Red Oaks(IIRC) and see how high their energy was back in the 80's. If Bono tried that today he'd be finished after 20 minutes.

It's less the need for energy than for an ability to resist what to me comes across as self-indulgent masturbation. They can still generate some good energy; see the way Vertigo rips like a chainsaw when you play it really REALLY fucking loud as evidence that U2 can still kick it when they want to. But No Line's greatest sin isn't a lack of energy. It sucks just because it's crap. This album to me is going to go down as U2's equivalent to the cosmic awfulness of Van Halen III. Eddie Van Halen can blame Gary Cherone (Sammy's unfortunate replacement) all he wants for that album sucking beyond all the suckitude that came before it. But the fault was totally his for putting out a shit record merely because he thought it was time in the rotation just to put out another record, and VH3 sucking so much has to be the major reason no one's clamoured for another Van Halen album ever since. No Line On The Horizon is exactly the same for U2. Like Bono said himself on "Mofo" from Pop, "No one tells me no". Well, this time someone fucking should slapped him across the face a few dozen times and said no goddamn way.