canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:12 am

andyt andyt:

I guess we'll be discussing what to do about that young upstart OTI at our next middle aged moderates meeting, right?

I think 'Forum Trolling 101' will be on the agenda....after lawn bowling, of course. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:34 am

andyt andyt:
I guess we'll be discussing what to do about that young upstart OTI at our next middle aged moderates meeting, right?

andy, please stop. my sides are killing me from the laughter. ROTFL

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:41 am

Delwin Delwin:
I like Andy too. The problem is the righties on the site would rather speak to empty rooms where they can speak freely without opposition, either that or fill a room and tell eachother how correct they are, like they have done in this thread.

Cmon Delwin...we both know a room full of Liberals is still an empty room. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:44 am

andyt andyt:
I don't agree Boots. How can you expect Ontario to have balanced budgets, with its manufacturing sector so decimated, when Alberta with all that oil wealth can't even manage it? And the people arguing with Delwin want the same kind of low tax regime as Alberta has. Probably start whining, just as Albertans do, when the govt services they happen to enjoy get cut.

All that oil wealth? You make it sound like oil royalties account for most, if not all of the provincial budget.

The fact is they make up about 20% of the government revenues and because they do, Albertans refuse to pay taxes at levels similar to the rest of Canada. That makes it harder for the government to operate, because they have to provide all the same services everyone else does with less tax revenue.

That's why when oil and gas prices fell in 2008, the government had to run a deficit to maintain services, because most Albertans are adamant that taxes not go up.

If Albertans paid the same progressive income tax as people in other provinces, revenues would be higher and we would be less dependent on royalties to fund services, which in turn would allow us to sock some of it away for the future instead of spending every penny as it comes in like we do now.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:55 am

I agree with everything you said, except about Ontario. I'm sure they would kill to have the income y'all do. I mean they became a have not province. I don't know enough about Ontario, but my guess is that they do need to cut wherever they can. cut the essentials, and invest in infrastructure if it will lead to promoting growth. Unfortunately the essentials are where the money is, so you can only cut so much. It does sound like under McGuinty Ontario still acted like a have province, putting govt money into risky schemes that didn't pan out. That's the kind of thing you can do if you're rolling in cash, not when times are tough. It's too bad that the Conservatives are slash and burn. Some properly applied austerity is certainly called for, but not wholesale destruction. Why is it so hard to find the moderate middle in these things? We either get parties that want to gut the govt, or ones that want to spend like there's no tomorrow.