canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:27 pm

First poll since Ontario election call has Liberals poised to win minority government

$1:
The campaign doesn't officially start until Wednesday, but we already have our first 'campaign' opinion poll of the Ontario election.

The new Forum survey, released on Sunday and published in the Toronto Star, suggests that the June 12 election will yield no change; that the Liberals will win another minority government.

Premier Kathleen Wynne triggered the election on Friday after the New Democrats vowed to vote against her party's budget introduced at Queen's Park last week.

At this point in time, Forum pegs Progressive Conservative support at 38 per cent, Liberal support at 33 per cent and NDP support at 22 per cent. But, because of the distribution of voters, the Toronto-based polling company is predicting the status-quo.

The other party leaders — the PC's Tim Hudak and the NDP's Andrea Horwath — will have to hope this election campaign replicates the recent one in Quebec. At the beginning of that campaign, in March, the Parti Quebecois led the polls with the pollsters predicting a PQ majority.

The first two days of the unofficial campaign have given us some hints about how Hudak and Horwath will try to turn the tide.

The PCs seem to be borrowing from the federal Tory playbook: their theme will be jobs and the economy.

"I’m going to get Ontario working again. I have got a laser-like focus on job creation," Hudak said on Friday according to the Star.

"If we don’t get our hydro bills under control and our taxes down, we’re going to lose a lot of small businesses in this province. We’ve already lost far too many jobs. My plan is not simply to make a small change. It’s a fundamental change in the way we address energy policy, make it focused on jobs."

Continued here;

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada- ... 18530.html

Wonder if this will hold up or if the Liberals will implode as has happened in so many recent provincial elections.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:56 pm

If they win, it will be the last time I vote in this Province. What an absolute joke.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:51 pm

There is only one poll that counts ...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:02 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
There is only one poll that counts ...

True enough.

I can say that if the Liberals form another minority despite being 5 points behind the competition in the final result I'm going to be sobbing in my corn flakes.

The Liberals need to spend at least a few years out in the wilderness. PC minority would be the best outcome.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:25 pm

Yes, the P.C and the NDP should be pushed into a coalition [cough, cough]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:28 pm

Sorry but Ontario is beyond saving. Some glad I'm leaving.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:58 pm

Read today that a conservative majority is unlikely, because Hudak insists on being Harris II. Any outcome but a conservative majority will lead to business as usual, so there you go, Ont, you're stuck with what you've got. But who knows, maybe Ford will win Toronto, make the right happy.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:16 pm

I really like Kathleen Wynne and I think she has done a great job distancing herself from the mess that she inherited from mcguinty . I particularly like the way she handled the ice storm disaster even though she had to work with an ineffectual Rob Ford, and I believe she has demonstrated a real tenacity in the face of controversy and truly earned her spot. Her style is very different from that of David Mcguinty and she has made me proud to be a Liberal in Ontario again. It's ironic that the one time I feel like the right person is in the premier spot, she happens to not be elected to the spot. Well, all that will change soon.

Truly a respectable politician, if ever there was such a thing.

Last edited by Delwin on Mon May 05, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:18 pm

The real losers in all of this are going to be the NDP they took a huge risk in having the election called and could end up an weaker footing then they started with.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:21 pm

Delwin Delwin:
I really like Kathleen Wynne and I think she has done a great job distancing herself from the mess that she inherited from mcguinty . I particularly like the way she handled the ice storm disaster even though she had to work with an ineffectual Rob Ford, and I believe she has demonstrated a real tenacity in the face of controversy and truly earned her spot. Her style is very different from that of David Mcguinty and she has made me proud to be a Liberal in Ontario again. It's ironic that the one time I feel like the right person is in the premier spot, she happens to not be elected. Well, all that will change soon.

You really like her...big frikken surprise there :P

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:24 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
If they win, it will be the last time I vote in this Province. What an absolute joke.

"In a democracy, people get the government they deserve" Alexis de Toqueville

That's the problem with democracy, when the majority thinks and votes in a way you don't agree, they still must be wrong......

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:30 pm

QBC QBC:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:

"In a democracy, people get the government they deserve" Alexis de Toqueville

That's the problem with democracy, when the majority thinks and votes in a way you don't agree, they still must be wrong......

True, but don't we all think like that to some degree? This board would basically have to shut down if we didn't.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:32 pm

Re:JJ

Yes I do.. Her last budget was very sound and marked the fifth year in a row the province was to report a deficit that was lower than forcast. It did this while still maintaining a strong focus on job growth and expanding Ontario's overseas markets to help grow the economy and balancing this against raising the child benefit program and minimum wage and infrastructure development.

It is exactly the type of well balanced budget that voters want and the only reason the NDP voted against it was because they are calculating and saw an opportunity to make political gains, putting their party's needs before the needs of the province, disgusting. I hope they get their just desserts and I look forward to helping on the campaign in any way I can.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:43 am

Delwin Delwin:
I really like Kathleen Wynne and I think she has done a great job distancing herself from the mess that she inherited from mcguinty . I particularly like the way she handled the ice storm disaster even though she had to work with an ineffectual Rob Ford, and I believe she has demonstrated a real tenacity in the face of controversy and truly earned her spot. Her style is very different from that of David Mcguinty and she has made me proud to be a Liberal in Ontario again. It's ironic that the one time I feel like the right person is in the premier spot, she happens to not be elected to the spot. Well, all that will change soon.

This message has been paid for by the Liberal Party of Ontario.

BTW David McGuinty is a federal politician. Dalton was Premier.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:47 am

Delwin Delwin:
Re:JJ

Yes I do.. Her last budget was very sound and marked the fifth year in a row the province was to report a deficit that was lower than forcast. It did this while still maintaining a strong focus on job growth and expanding Ontario's overseas markets to help grow the economy and balancing this against raising the child benefit program and minimum wage and infrastructure development.

It is exactly the type of well balanced budget that voters want and the only reason the NDP voted against it was because they are calculating and saw an opportunity to make political gains, putting their party's needs before the needs of the province, disgusting. I hope they get their just desserts and I look forward to helping on the campaign in any way I can.

Well balanced budget? This province hasn't had a balanced budget in 12 years, the Liberals have been digging us deeper in the hole (this despite hitting us with the largest tax increase by any government in the history of Ontario) during their entire time in power.