CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
Profile
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:52 pm
 


It's all part of the plan.

The urban left has long had its crosshairs on home ownership as a concept. People living in single-family homes who are free to move around by car are the most difficult to perform social experimentation on. And the biggest problem the urban left has had with social housing is that not enough of us are living in it. They want to minimize personal space, personal possessions and personal mobility, so as (they believe) to make the population more communal in orientation and more vulnerable to social engineering.

So they use "anti-sprawl" policies, portrayed as being mechanisms for combatting global warming, to choke off housing supply and justify aggressive infill and intensification. They turn affordable working class neighbourhoods in the urban core into gentrified yuppie havens, and encourage the construction of massive condo towers targeted to offshore speculators. All of this makes home ownership increasingly untenable, creating a vacuum into which state-owned (well, city-state owned) housing will be inserted.

And it is in this way that the urbanist left will bring about the modern equivalent of the old Soviet housing model, using manipulation of markets to achieve what has previously required a totalitarian state.

I wonder what Jane Jacobs would have actually thought of the authoritarian planning cult that has arisen in her name.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13495

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:59 pm
 


Quote:
So they use "anti-sprawl" policies, portrayed as being mechanisms for combatting global warming, to choke off housing supply and justify aggressive infill and intensification. They turn affordable working class neighbourhoods in the urban core into gentrified yuppie havens, and encourage the construction of massive condo towers targeted to offshore speculators. All of this makes home ownership increasingly untenable, creating a vacuum into which state-owned (well, city-state owned) housing will be inserted.


This is the only intelligible part of your post. True that anri-sprawl contributes to prices but it's not the only factor. Unfettered and market speculation plays a role but most of all natural demand plays s role. Urban housing costs more because MORE PEOPLE WANT TO LIVE THERE. The Suburbs are ugly and boring and dull and have long commutes.

That 2 hours per day commute adds up to 21 days per year of your life completely wasted.

And you know what? Sprawl is a problem, you can't just stick your head up your ass and ignore it.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11964
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:11 pm
 


Urban and suburban suck. Urban involves living in a hamster cage and suburbs are made up of cookie cutter houses jammed together. I'd rather be rural than either of those.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 27484
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:15 pm
 


The last eight years of these "sustainability" pricks running city hall has pretty much ruined living in Calgary, both in the suburbs and the core. The sooner I can get out of here to some tiny place on the prairie or coastline the better. There's a lot more to living than putting up for an entire lifetime with the nonsense that goes on in cities.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9289

Warnings: (40%)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:37 pm
 


Image
This is the future of housing, an affordable minimalist lifestyle.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 27484
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:44 pm
 


Grab one while you can because there's probably enough schemers in the works to make those things unaffordable to anyone who isn't rich just like they've already done with detached houses and the better kind of condos that aren't built like cookie-cutter shit. This fuckin' world sometimes..... :evil:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13495

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:47 pm
 


2Cdo wrote:
Urban and suburban suck. Urban involves living in a hamster cage and suburbs are made up of cookie cutter houses jammed together. I'd rather be rural than either of those.


Rural is definitely better than suburban as long as you don't have to commute long distances every day and have reasonable access to basic services. My cottage doesn't have internet for example so I don't think I could live there year round. And when my wife was pregnant we eventually stopped going up as we got near the due date because it's a long way to a hospital if she went into labour.

The "hamster cage" isn't all that bad, with so much to do nearby you really spend a lot less time at home and you definitely live alot more efficiently, not just in terms of consuming fewer resources but with the smaller space you don't hang on to as much old junk. You really realize how little living space you actually use. But kids change all of that....


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9289

Warnings: (40%)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:59 pm
 


Thanos wrote:
Grab one while you can because there's probably enough schemers in the works to make those things unaffordable to anyone who isn't rich just like they've already done with detached houses and the better kind of condos that aren't built like cookie-cutter shit. This fuckin' world sometimes..... :evil:

Quote:
I recently helped my GF move into her unit and I am very concerned by the foundation cracks seeping quite a bit of water in the lower levels of the car park. Starting on P8 and moving up the are all over, including significant long ( 6 feet plus) horizontal and vertical cracks.

One of my biggest concerns is as we come to the end of summer/ fall, these cracks will just be skimmed over and will not become an issue again until the spring thaw.

New isn't necessarily better such as this, a new so-so luxy highrise that was just completed. 8O


Attachments:
7OqxYTyh.jpg
7OqxYTyh.jpg [ 46.37 KiB | Viewed 82 times ]
QPFPA2ch.jpg
QPFPA2ch.jpg [ 33.84 KiB | Viewed 84 times ]
Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9289

Warnings: (40%)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:02 pm
 


In Leduc an affordable condo complex was built with prices ranging between $180.000 - $215.000 with two units on one lot. A 2 bedroom 1 bathroom basement suite on the bottom and a regular 2-3 bedroom, 1-2 bathroom unit on the top.


Attachments:
$_27 (8).JPG
$_27 (8).JPG [ 44.26 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]
$_27 (7).JPG
$_27 (7).JPG [ 39.65 KiB | Viewed 1048 times ]
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 27484
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:16 pm
 


That Penhorwood condo disaster up in McMurray said it all about how little the governments care about home buyers, in Alberta anyway. Demolish the place after it's condemned overnight in case of a full building collapse, and the poor suckers that got rooked into paying $300K for a one-bedroom unit still have to make their mortgage payments on it. Too few Mike Holmes' out there and far too many of the kind of thieving bastards and fly-by-night incompetents that the Mike Holmes of the world have to go cleaning up after.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9289

Warnings: (40%)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:02 pm
 


Thanos wrote:
That Penhorwood condo disaster up in McMurray said it all about how little the governments care about home buyers, in Alberta anyway. Demolish the place after it's condemned overnight in case of a full building collapse, and the poor suckers that got rooked into paying $300K for a one-bedroom unit still have to make their mortgage payments on it. Too few Mike Holmes' out there and far too many of the kind of thieving bastards and fly-by-night incompetents that the Mike Holmes of the world have to go cleaning up after.

Penhorwood condo owners hope demolition is start of end to ordeal

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/penhorwood-condo-owners-hope-demolition-is-start-of-end-to-ordeal-1.2898546

________________

Quote:
The condo properties are boarded up, but owners had to continue paying their mortgages and condo fees — plus rent for alternate accommodations.

The head of the condo board said it was enough to force some into bankruptcy.

“The owners are absolutely ecstatic that this horrible eyesore and horrible disaster for them is finally coming down,” said Christine Burton.

The municipality of Wood Buffalo has set aside $3 million to pay for the work and will not be asking residents to reimburse them.

What a Fucking Joke, developers need to be held more accountable not leaving owners holding the bag.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28535
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:06 pm
 


Quebec's new home Guarantee Plan

Upon the purchase of a new house or a co-ownership that is covered, the Guarantee Plan for new Residential Buildings automatically applies. This plan guarantees the fulfillment of certain legal obligations of your contractor. Its conditions are established in the Regulation respecting the guarantee plan for new residential buildings. Also note that the plan is mandatory: it is not possible to waive it, even if a document is signed in this sense.

https://www.rbq.gouv.qc.ca/en/guarantee ... -plan.html


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8723
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:07 pm
 


Quote:
My cottage doesn't have internet for example so I don't think I could live there year round.

Satellite. Or you may have a WISP in the area. Don't need a landline or cable. Perhaps one day a miracle will happen and you can get enough data through the cell phone.

Most of the people outside of downtowns in central BC have that, $50-$100 mo. Cell based is only about $3,000,000,000,000.00 a Gig


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33831

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:37 pm
 


raydan wrote:
Quebec's new home Guarantee Plan



Other provinces have already.

It doesn't work when the builder is gone.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11964
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:30 am
 


BeaverFever wrote:
2Cdo wrote:
Urban and suburban suck. Urban involves living in a hamster cage and suburbs are made up of cookie cutter houses jammed together. I'd rather be rural than either of those.


Rural is definitely better than suburban as long as you don't have to commute long distances every day and have reasonable access to basic services. My cottage doesn't have internet for example so I don't think I could live there year round. And when my wife was pregnant we eventually stopped going up as we got near the due date because it's a long way to a hospital if she went into labour.

The "hamster cage" isn't all that bad, with so much to do nearby you really spend a lot less time at home and you definitely live alot more efficiently, not just in terms of consuming fewer resources but with the smaller space you don't hang on to as much old junk. You really realize how little living space you actually use. But kids change all of that....

How can you say you're living more efficiently in an urban setting when you're constantly away from your cage spending money on food and entertainment?

Urbanites can keep their tiny little cells with a view of other building filled with tiny little cells and whining about how nobody needs a truck until they ask you for help moving. I'll help you move for $1000/hr. :lol:

The last part was based on an old friend who was constantly harping about trucks and fuel costs and anyone not in the city was evil.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  1  2  3  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.