CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Should the Minister of National Defence resign?
No, it is not his fault Afghan National Forces may have used torture.  75%  [ 15 ]
Yes, he is partly responsible if Afghan National Forces use torture.  25%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 20

Author Topic Options

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:48 pm

Bodah Bodah:
I wish opposition parties would show as much zeal for the well being of our Canadian Soldiers as the do for Taliban prisioners over "allegations" of torture by the Afghan forces. Allegations seems to be enough to deman the resignation of our defence minister, sad desperate lot of politicians grasping at straws it seems.

Although I find the liberal suggestion as to what to do with them almost laughable even an oxymoron. Bring them to Canada to protect them is their suggestion, here we are dying to keep them out and the Liberals want to bring them here.

The only reason they want to do that is so they can accuse Harper of creating Guantonamo North... Dion's hoping that if he is really really annoying and obtuse that Harper will call an election.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:44 pm

Bodah Bodah:
I wish opposition parties would show as much zeal for the well being of our Canadian Soldiers as the do for Taliban prisioners over "allegations" of torture by the Afghan forces. Allegations seems to be enough to deman the resignation of our defence minister, sad desperate lot of politicians grasping at straws it seems.

Although I find the liberal suggestion as to what to do with them almost laughable even an oxymoron. Bring them to Canada to protect them is their suggestion, here we are dying to keep them out and the Liberals want to bring them here.

I read that too and I'd suspect that Dion see's these Taliban prisoners as the next Tamil Tigers or Hezbulla's who are allowed to use Canada to fundraise as long as they support Liberals.
This is just another part of Dion's "tough on crime" platform?
What a joke.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:49 pm

Again, thanks to bloggers who are much more witty than myself:

$1:
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Guantanamo North
May 7th, 2008

Peter Mansbridge: Six months after the Governor General appointed Stephane Dion as Prime Minister, the Liberals have made good on their first priority as a government: setting up a prison in Canada for Taliban prisoners. Our Wendy Mesley travelled to the secret location on a Nunavut Island where the first prisoners are getting accustomed to their new home.

(cut to to a woman in a cyan blue burqua holding a microphone. Next to her stands the newly appointed warden, Jason Cherniak, 'an elfin type with fierce eyes'.)

Wendy (muffled by cloth): Thanks, Peter. I'm standing next to Jason Cherniak, Warden of Camp Happyland, where Taliban fighters caught by Canadian forces will be held for the duration of the mission which ends in 2009. Mr. Cherniak, congratulations on the new appointment.

Cherniak: Thanks, Wendy. Hold on a sec, I'm live blogging this over my wireless blackberry.

Wendy: Earlier today, I toured the facilities with the new Minister of Public Security, Defense, Justice and Environment, Garth Turner. Can you remind Canadians why this prison was set up.

Cherniak: Sure Wendy. The whole concept was to unite the progressive vote under the Liberal banner. One way to accomplish this was to promise that Taliban fighters would be subjected to the same prison conditions as any Canadian prisoner would expect.

Wendy: Which explains the pool tables, spa & fitness centre and deluxe package satellite TV in every cell.

Cherniak: Exactly. By the way, thanks for wearing the burqua - it disgusts our prisoners to see you in anything but. Thanks also for pretending to be sweeping the floors while touring the site. If the prisoners caught wind that we let you speak and think, they would go ape-shit.

Wendy: Its a reasonable accommodation, if you ask me. Now, we are hearing rumours that prisoners are being tortured in the prison.

Cherniak: Hogwash. Martha Stewart has a worse time in prison than these guys.

Wendy: But can you be so cavalier? Afterall, you set up these prisons because you took the word of Taliban fighters over the word of our own troops.

Cherniak: Trust me, Wendy, they love me. Some of these guys never had a facial before and the mud mask was a little frightening. But once they saw the results, everyone simmered down.

Wendy: Some critics say its ironic to see the Liberals build a prison after they fought so hard against prison building in the last few elections.

Cherniak: Sour grapes. Look, Camp Happiland generated and continues to generate huge economic spin-offs.

Wendy: Well, some critics say you should have thought more carefully about where those economic spin-offs could have gone to better use, like say in the Atlantic provinces.

Cherniak: We offered Newfoundland first dibs, but Danny Williams told us to piss off.

Wendy: Other critics point out that this money could have been spent on reconstruction in Afghanistan. They also say that by setting up a Taliban prison in Canada, our government is trying to short-circuit the necessary growing pains that Afghanistan's justice system must go through to mature.

Cherniak: More bullocks. Say what you will about Taliban government - there was a little oppression here and there - but under the Taliban, Afghanistan had justice. The Bush-monkey government in Kabul couldn't match Taliban justice if it wanted to.

Wendy: Thank you for your time, Warden Cherniak.

Cherniak: No problemo, Wendy. I have to go anyway. I'm giving the boys in cell block "C" a course in new media tools for tyrannical fanatics. Ciao.

Wendy: For CBC news, I'm Wendy Mesley, somewhere, in Nunavut.

http://chuckercanuck.blogspot.com/2007/ ... mo%20North

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:56 am

I mean really. We know how the Cons love to try and CON Canadians.

But at the very least, they should try and get their stories straight

Dont ya think.. 8O

$1:
the Prime Minister yesterday THURSDAY) appeared to contradict what O'Connor had said the day before about an agreement with the Afghan government to allow Canadian officials access to prisons holding Taliban detainees.

Harper said there is no formal agreement yet with Afghanistan, and "we have found no evidence that access is blocked to the prisons.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Wednesday, O'Connor said a deal had been struck to allow Canadian officials "full access to detention facilities" and "I am pleased that Afghan officials have responded to our concerns regarding detainees."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day later said Canadian officials have been in Afghan prisons "for a considerable period of time" and just recently reported to him about the concerns they had about prisoners in leg irons.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day's assertion that two Correctional Service of Canada employees working in Kandahar's prison system are monitoring the conditions of detainees appeared to differ from what he said in February, when he announced their mission was to "provide training and mentoring to staff and prison administrators.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While the defence minister said Wednesday that the deal had been reached "within the last few days," other cabinet ministers said yesterday a new agreement had yet to be reached. Conservative MP Helena Guergis, secretary of state for foreign affairs and international trade, said the department would be "drafting" a formal agreement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

His news caught Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay off guard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Neither the defence nor the foreign affairs department yesterday could provide a written copy of the new "arrangement."

Stupid CONS

:D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:43 pm

There's that "one trick pony" smell again..

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:27 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:

Interesting response about how those CONiving Cons were once again caught lying and trying to CON Canadians

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:35 pm

baylee baylee:
ridenrain ridenrain:

Interesting response about how those CONiving Cons were once again caught lying and trying to CON Canadians

I posted a similar timeline back here:

$1:
Dec. 19, 2001 Then-defence-minister Art Eggleton reveals that Canadian forces - specifically commandos from Joint Task Force 2 - have joined the war, sparking concerns about whether troops would turn captured Afghans over to U.S. authorities.

Jan. 21, 2002 Canadian commandos turn three captured al-Qaeda fighters over to the U.S. military.

Jan. 28, 2002 Then-prime-minister Jean Chrétien says the government is reviewing its policy on prisoners and that opposition concerns are "hypothetical" because none have been taken.

Jan. 29 Mr. Eggleton admits he learned eight days earlier that Canadian commandos had turned over prisoners without any assurances about whether they would be treated as prisoners of war. Mr. Chrétien says there is now an agreement with the United States that it would respect international laws with respect to Taliban and al-Qaeda prisoners.

Jan. 31 The opposition calls for Mr. Eggleton to resign.

Feb. 5 Then-deputy-prime-minister John Manley states during Question Period: "Canadian soldiers are doing their job in accordance with their instructions, including turning prisoners over to U.S. authorities. If necessary, they will continue to do so until we conclude that the U.S. is not respecting the Geneva Convention."

Feb. 6 U.S. President George W. Bush says that Taliban prisoners would be considered POWs under the Geneva Conventions, but al-Qaeda prisoners would not.

Feb. 7 Both Mr. Chrétien and Mr. Eggleton say they are satisfied with this guarantee. "The pressure the Canadian government has brought to bear on the U.S. administration in recent days has today resulted in a clarification being issued by the Americans, that they will respect the Geneva Convention," Mr. Chrétien says during Question Period. "I believe we have done a very good job of ensuring that international law would be respected under these circumstances."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... tory/Front

On this thread:
http://www.canadaka.net/modules.php?nam ... sc&start=0

Looks like my my hypocrisy predates you by some 5 years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:54 pm

don't disturb the hornets nest baylee or you'll get stung.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:56 pm

If this is a tag team, I need a time out to put on my mask..

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:57 pm

I'm confused ride a train.

Exactlly what does anything that Jean Chretien or anyone said or did back in 2002 or any other year have to do with how the CONS are caught lying and contradicting each other and in total disaray trying to get their stories straight?

I guess its that same old CON mentality that says..(when the CONS are caught wasting tax dollars,) you justify it by saying.." well the LIBS wasted money too you know"

Idiot CONS

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:05 pm

Please read the whole thread and you'll be twice as smart as you are now.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:20 pm

Again ride a train, just what does anything anyone said or did have to do with how the CONS have again been caught lying and cant get their story straight?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:25 pm

Gee, Bayleaf.. I'm so dumb,, I need you to spell things out for me.
A lie with history and iognorance becomes the truth. Let's all pretend that we're better than that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:34 pm

.. and you're point is???
That's a game that people choose and are payed to play. We're talking about Afghanistan where our troops are and our allies live. Without our help, they can't fix it themselves and they need our help.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:25 pm

baylee baylee:
Wow what a shock
Canadian soldiers have killed more than what can consider to be accidental killings of innocent civillians.
So it comes as no surprise they are torturing them.

I mean...really

Harper has to do all that is possible to impress bush.

I have no doubt, Canadians torturing Afghanis are orders from the white house

$1:
For fuck's sake, this is the Taliban we're talking about. You know, those crazy fuckers who liked to stone women for even daring to walk alone or(Allah forbid) get a job.

You mean those nasty people the Americans not only helped to create but were best friends with, and invited them to America to discuss plans for a pipeline?

Baylee, why do you post here? Personal attacks. Name calling. I wouldn't stick around this wretched forum except to monitor it lest the site give our country a bad image.

Anyway, try out Canadian Latitudes

Glenn Fitzgerald.