Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:01 am

$1:
"Federal Environment Minister Rona Ambrose took a swipe at the former Liberal government's environmental policies Wednesday at a United Nations conference on global warming in Kenya.

So wait, Liberals can air there dirty domestic laundry at international summits, by critizing there own countries climate policies and making the canadian govt look weak, but when the environmental minister does it, to explain that the liberals did nothing to reduce co2 emissions(they actually increased by 30%)since 1990 and show that the conservatives first draft of the policy is actually a lot more than the liberals ever did, it is an outcry.

come on Libs, for shame......

Last edited by Orinx on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:12 am

I saw that...

Who would ever consider doing something like that on an international stage... Oh yeah.. the Liberals..

$1:
Ambrose faces pro-Kyoto shadow group at climate talks
MPs, environmentalists plan media blitz to get Canada to live up to its 'obligations'
BILL CURRY

From Monday's Globe and Mail

OTTAWA — Opposition MPs and Canadian environmentalists have scheduled a news conference for today in Nairobi to declare that most Canadians continue to support the Kyoto Protocol.

The event is to take place just as Environment Minister Rona Ambrose arrives for the final sessions of an international conference on the global-warming initiative.

It will mark Ms. Ambrose's first international climate-change meeting since she tabled the Clean Air Act, an environmental bill the government acknowledges will not trigger the deep, short-term cuts that would be required for Canada to meet its 2012 Kyoto target.

Toronto Liberal MP John Godfrey, who will be part of the news conference, said it is designed to inform foreign delegates that the majority of Canadians support Kyoto. Mr. Godfrey insists it is not meant to embarrass Ms. Ambrose on the world stage.

source

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:18 am

The Liberals doing nothing about Kyoto was a far better course of action.

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:37 am

ridenrain ridenrain:
I saw that...

Who would ever consider doing something like that on an international stage... Oh yeah.. the Liberals..

$1:
MPs, environmentalists plan media blitz to get Canada to live up to its 'obligations'
BILL CURRY

OTTAWA — Opposition MPs and Canadian environmentalists have scheduled a news conference for today in Nairobi to declare that most Canadians continue to support the Kyoto Protocol.

The event is to take place just as Environment Minister Rona Ambrose arrives for the final sessions of an international conference on the global-warming initiative.

It will mark Ms. Ambrose's first international climate-change meeting since she tabled the Clean Air Act, an environmental bill the government acknowledges will not trigger the deep, short-term cuts that would be required for Canada to meet its 2012 Kyoto target.

Toronto Liberal MP John Godfrey, who will be part of the news conference, said it is designed to inform foreign delegates that the majority of Canadians support Kyoto. Mr. Godfrey insists it is not meant to embarrass Ms. Ambrose on the world stage.

source

Thanks for the article Ridenrain, I was looking everywhere for that but couldn't find it.....

Nice lookin out,

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:40 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
The Liberals doing nothing about Kyoto was a far better course of action.

The liberals signing onto Kyoto and then doing nothing about it was a far better course of action??Now they're critizing Conservatives for making reductions that they say are not enough??

How do you figure bro??

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:47 am

Kyoto is just another way of transferring money to the Third World. I'm glad Harper axed it because it was the most retarded thing I've ever heard of. That's why places like Kenya are so pissed off, Kyoto would have given them millions of dollars from the selling of "pollution credits". It has nothing to do with the environment, just money.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:51 am

No matter who is in power there will always be an opposition and in Canada that's the way it should be. Internationally though we must show a unified and strong country and there is no issue in the world that should trump this basic tenet of what it mean to be a real nation. Ironic how when the Liberals were in power and the Quebec government did similar things the liberals were so horrified.

Yup, the Liberal Party of Canada is one class act all the way.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:08 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
I saw that...

$1:
BILL CURRY

source

So I guess that means that the cons are no better than the Liberals

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:21 pm

Ambrose was just telling the truth, or do you deny that the Libs did nothing after signing Kyoto?

Organizing an opposition from elected and special interest groups, then sending them aborad to shadow and heckle the elected representitive is really low. This makes us look petty and foolish to other countries.
.. suprising the moonbats didn't drag out Martins buddy, Bono.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:28 pm

Well if Rona was telling the truth, it is probably the first time, as she has a little trouble seperating truth from fiction:
Oct 5, 2006: in front of environment comittee

1. On spending on carbon credits:
Ambrose said:
“I can give you some examples of the money that was spent on international credits, but I have in front of me a list of at least $100-million of money that was used to purchase international credits.”

The truth:
The federal government has spent no money on international credits.

2. On the costs of Kyoto:
Ambrose said:
“…electricity prices in British Columbia would increase by 40% and electricity prices in Ontario would increase by 65%.”

The truth:
According to M.K. Jaccard and Associates, whose study Ambrose cites, it’s more like 32% and 26% respectively.

3. Back to international carbon credits:
Ambrose said:
[On international emissions credits:] “Daphne Wysham, who is the Clean Development Mechanism expert, said that, ‘You're creating all kinds of incentives for corruption,’ and giving a negative response.”

The truth:
Daphne Wysham, on being mis-quoted by Ambrose to attack Kyoto: “I'm horrified by that … We absolutely need a vehicle for both curbing emissions in the North and providing resources for clean energy in the south... Canada must not violate its legally binding Kyoto commitments.”

BONUS WHOPPER: The biggest mistruth of all? That's Ambrose's implication that reducing smog will halt climate change. It's the other way around: tackling the tougher job of reducing greenhouse gases will help address smog.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:36 pm

themasta themasta:
Kyoto is just another way of transferring money to the Third World. I'm glad Harper axed it because it was the most retarded thing I've ever heard of. That's why places like Kenya are so pissed off, Kyoto would have given them millions of dollars from the selling of "pollution credits". It has nothing to do with the environment, just money.

I never understood that as well. :? Does it not seem more logical to give the money to industries as a form of encouragement to spend money on upgrading and researching new technolgies instead giving the money to some thrid world government who would sooner purchase WMD instead of upgrading their own country? :?

...Wait a minute. It's clear now. Those 3rd world countries are run by good friends of the Liberal Party. I'm sure the money would make it's way back into the bank accounts of those Liberal members that went untouched by the inquirey.... :?

Corporations are out to make money. If they see that by improving emmission outputs they can make an easy 100 million from the government without actually working to hard, don't you think they would do it? Instead, the Liberal idea was to try and enforce un-enforceable laws onto the masses and leave their Liberal friends to continue polluting. Yes, there has been an increase in pollutions, but consider that it's actually the oil industry doing it. Do you really think that without government pushing them to find new technologies that those things will ever be found? :roll: