CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

If you're not normally a Liberal voter, are you watching the leadership race?
No, it's just a coronation for Trudeau anyways  22%  [ 5 ]
No, I will never vote for them, so it doesn't matter.  17%  [ 4 ]
Yes, I just like watching/arguing about politics.  13%  [ 3 ]
Yes, i'm willing to vote liberal if i see something i like.  48%  [ 11 ]
I'll explain in my post  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:26 am

So, I've voted for pretty much every party out there in my time, except for the liberals. Just have never been able to get over my visceral distaste and distrust and put an X down by and L.

but now I'm starting to wonder, have they been humbled enough? have they l;earned a bit of lesson? Can they be trusted to not be corrupt for a few terms? can they be trusted not to throw western Canada under the bus at the first sign it might buy them a few votes in central canada?

Harper has been disappointing me for a while now, and I've decided to pay some attention to the leadership race and see if it's possible the libs might win my vote. It'll take the right leader, and the right policies. If they go back to their standard "Stephen Harper is scaaaary" schtick I won't be impressed, but if they hammer out a rational platform I may give them a try.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:32 am

I used to vote Liberal, a long time ago.

This round will be another coronation, thinking high school popularity
will win the day, because for sure their policies won't.

But people are going to remember lil J's " I want to go to a separate Quebec. "

It's not the right leader, haven't seen the right policies for more than a decade.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:38 am

I also voted Liberal prior to their best before date and was very anti CPC after Mulroney. I would gladly vote Liberal again if a good leader and policies were put in place as I have been very disappointed with the CPC under Harper.

I am intrigued by Trudeau so far and am looking forward to see him in the leadership debates which may cement who I vote for in the next election.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:41 am

Just don't really care. Once a leader is in place then I'll start to analyse them and see if they represent my interests.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:42 am

Canadian_Mind wrote:
Just don't really care. Once a leader is in place then I'll start to analyse them and see if they represent my interests.

+1

Or add a;

Couldn't give a toss.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:41 am

Yawn. Ignatief at least brought some smarts to the table. I don't anticipate casting a vote for Fredo Trudeau.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am

I guess it's yes for me, since I read some of the newspaper articles about it, but I'm not all afire about it. So I didn't vote. Needs a less black and white option.

I did read an interesting piece about Martha Hall Findlay. (One of the contenders). How she's an idea person and while not likely to win, will make Trudeau actually put forth some of his own instead of just blathering and running on charm. The article said she is to the right of the CPC on some issues, to the left of the NDP on others. That's very intriguing, but unfortunately the article didn't give specifics.

Also this contest is running until April, so if you are hanging on every word, you might want to pace yourself.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:03 am

I think Canada is hungry for some new ideas and some vision for this Country.

If anyone from the Liberal Party can offer that, I'm all ears.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:06 am

OnTheIce wrote:
I think Canada is hungry for some new ideas and some vision for this Country.

If anyone from the Liberal Party can offer that, I'm all ears.

Did you listen to Ignatief? We had that guy a few years ago and the Conservative hacks slandered him straight out of town on a rail. He was just visiting, after all. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:17 am

I'll wait and see how the leadership convention goes. I'm interested to see how Trudeau does. I've never voted liberal either, but only because I vote ndp.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 am

Lemmy wrote:
Did you listen to Ignatief? We had that guy a few years ago and the Conservative hacks slandered him straight out of town on a rail. He was just visiting, after all. :roll:

Sure did. Took him forever to take a stance on anything and even offer up any actual policy.

When his policy was introduced, it was filled with recycled old Liberal plans and plans that were current with what the existing government was doing. When he dropped the idea of a national daycare plan, the channel was turned off on Iggy.

Add to that, a piece of driftwood has more charisma and was more likeable by Canadians. :lol: The fact that he looked like the Count from Sesame Street didn't help either.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:35 am

OnTheIce wrote:
Add to that, a piece of driftwood has more charisma and was more likeable by Canadians. :lol: The fact that he looked like the Count from Sesame Street didn't help either.

Shame that image is more important than ability, experience and intelligence.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:41 am

Lemmy wrote:
OnTheIce wrote:

Well, Harper isn't much more charismatic, so it's not all fluff. Iggy just didn't resonate with the voters. I liked the idea of him, as a cosmopolitan intellectual. But I can't point to any brilliant ideas he put forward that would actually make me vote for him. Plus the Liberals were done, they needed a good long time out. So the CPC could have run pretty well anybody and won. And I've got to give Harper props for being disciplined - he didn't just try to ram his agenda thru, he's in it for the long haul. He's just loving the revival of the Liberals right now, splits the vote among the non-CPC majority in this country. But if we do get hit with another serious economic downturn, his prospects won't look nearly as rosy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:42 am

Lemmy wrote:
OnTheIce wrote:

Say that again when Trudeau is coronated as Lib leader. :)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:52 am

Lemmy wrote:

When it comes to experience and ability, he had zero. You pluck some guy out of the US and convince him to come back to Canada to enter politics.

He was still wet behind the ears when they named him as leader. Huge mistake.

Add to that that his image was terrible, it was a bad fit and a bad idea right from the start.