Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:31 am

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... b=Politics

$1:
Bloc Quebecois losing its relevancy: Dion

Canadian Press

LEVIS, Que. -- The Bloc Quebecois is losing its relevance as Quebecers grow increasingly tired of protest politics, Liberal Leader Stephane Dion said Wednesday.

"Quebecers now have the taste for an action vote rather than a protest vote,'' Dion said after a meeting with local party organizers in Levis, Que., just south of Quebec City.

"In the next election, we'll ask who can form the better government,'' Dion said. "In this debate, between the right-wing politics of Mr. Harper and the centrist politics that we propose, the Bloc will no longer be relevant.''

The Liberal leader has been touring Quebec in recent days with the aim of readying Liberal forces in the province for a possible federal election this spring.

Dion reacted skeptically to a newspaper report suggesting Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservative government will wait until 2008 to call an election.

"I'll believe it when Mr. Harper stops making attack ads against me, or when he doesn't provoke a confidence vote by presenting to us a bill he knows is unacceptable to the three opposition parties.''

In the January 2006 election, the Bloc won 51 seats, the Liberals 13 and the Tories 10. An Independent took one seat.

The Tories will wait to call an election in order to gauge their support in Quebec through federal three byelections, said a report published Wednesday in Montreal La Presse.

Two ridings -- one in Montreal and one east of the city -- are currently vacant. Another riding in the Lac St-Jean region, north of Quebec City, will open up in June when Bloc Quebecois MP Michel Gauthier steps down.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:34 am

$1:

Sounds like they have a lot in common. :P

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:51 pm

yep, the bloc is irelevant but so too is Dion making the LPoC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:47 pm

Patrick_Ross Patrick_Ross:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070411/dion_bq_070411/20070411?hub=Politics

$1:

Canadian Press

LEVIS, Que. -- The Bloc Quebecois is losing its relevance as Quebecers grow increasingly tired of protest politics, Liberal Leader Stephane Dion said Wednesday.

"Quebecers now have the taste for an action vote rather than a protest vote,'' Dion said after a meeting with local party organizers in Levis, Que., just south of Quebec City.

"In the next election, we'll ask who can form the better government,'' Dion said. "In this debate, between the right-wing politics of Mr. Harper and the centrist politics that we propose, the Bloc will no longer be relevant.''

The Liberal leader has been touring Quebec in recent days with the aim of readying Liberal forces in the province for a possible federal election this spring.

Dion reacted skeptically to a newspaper report suggesting Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservative government will wait until 2008 to call an election.

"I'll believe it when Mr. Harper stops making attack ads against me, or when he doesn't provoke a confidence vote by presenting to us a bill he knows is unacceptable to the three opposition parties.''

In the January 2006 election, the Bloc won 51 seats, the Liberals 13 and the Tories 10. An Independent took one seat.

The Tories will wait to call an election in order to gauge their support in Quebec through federal three byelections, said a report published Wednesday in Montreal La Presse.

Two ridings -- one in Montreal and one east of the city -- are currently vacant. Another riding in the Lac St-Jean region, north of Quebec City, will open up in June when Bloc Quebecois MP Michel Gauthier steps down.

Strike down bill 101 R=UP

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:21 pm

Rihx Rihx:
yep, the bloc is irelevant but so too is Dion making the LPoC

The LPoC will never be irrelevant. Canada will always have two major parties. Who do you think would fill in the void if the Liberals imploded? The NDP? The seatless Greens? Not bloody likely.

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:41 pm

canada only had one major party for most of Chretiens reign...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:15 pm

Rihx Rihx:
canada only had one major party for most of Chretiens reign...

That's cause the old PCs shed two major groups - Reform and Bloc. If the Liberals split, it'll be a different story, but as it is, they're still one party.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:44 pm

Dion has to be careful. He may think separatism is dead in Quebec, but I think we all know Conservatism in Canada didn't die after the Cons got only 2 seats in Chrétien's blowout election after Kim Campbell's government - both situations are similar, in the regard that the separatist feelings in Quebec have always been there (even 200 years ago), at least to an extent. The support to the idea simply varies : sometimes, like in 1995, it'll be around 50%, sometimes it'll be around 40%, but most of the time it's like it 'hibernates' around 15% or something (that's a pure estimation of mine here, I have to say) and is therefore irrelevant to the current issues.

Then, it's also arguable the Bloc is relevant in the first place, so...

... and I also personally believe Dion is really the most disconnected politician out there, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him claim the Libs have a chance of taking Alberta come the next elections. It would be just like him to mention that kind of unbelievably unlikely possibilities. ;)

EDIT: Hmm... I didn't read what Dion said in English before writing this because I had read it in French. However, now that I read everything, it seems to me what he said is reported differently. Therefore, please take my post with a grain of salt.