bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:44 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/byelect ... -1.2439785

So the Conservatives maintain the status quo, albeit with a smaller vote share, as do the Liberals. The NDP were the big losers. Could this be a reflection of the election to come? A smaller CPC government with the LPC in opposition and the NDP once more relegated to their traditional third party status.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:24 am

Just Canada returning to it's normal equilibrium. We certainly aren't a right wing country but we're not all radical leftists either. Suck on that, Dippers. Your charade of pretending to be a national party when you're really now controlled by a pack of former BQ Quebec supremacists is just about over.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:56 am

I wonder if Mulcair is contemplating jumping ships again? Provincial Liberal who contemplated going CPC and ended up going Dipper. Are the Blue Shirts of the BQ polishing their jackboots?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:30 am

Thanos Thanos:
Just Canada returning to it's normal equilibrium. We certainly aren't a right wing country but we're not all radical leftists either. Suck on that, Dippers. Your charade of pretending to be a national party when you're really now controlled by a pack of former BQ Quebec supremacists is just about over.

^ This.

Anyone who believed the NDP was a 'national' party was deluding themselves. They are far too reliant on Quebec for their Official Opposition role. The next election will likely see the Liberals back in as Official Opposition.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:00 am

I don't know what article you guys read...

$1:
Since Trudeau was chosen as the federal Liberal leader last spring, the party has risen from third place in the polls, back into first place, with the Conservatives slightly behind. The NDP has sunk back to its traditional third-place slot.

The liberals came within 400 votes of toppling a Tory stronghold.

Bring on the election. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:52 am

Curtman Curtman:
I don't know what article you guys read...

$1:
Since Trudeau was chosen as the federal Liberal leader last spring, the party has risen from third place in the polls, back into first place, with the Conservatives slightly behind. The NDP has sunk back to its traditional third-place slot.

The liberals came within 400 votes of toppling a Tory stronghold.

Bring on the election. :)

It's certainly possible, but the incumbent always has a bit of an advantage because they can spew out a few billion bucks before the election to bribe voters to forget about past mistakes.

And while it sounds like the Liberals almost took down a Conservative stronghold, the article also notes that there were a lot of disgruntled people because of the nomination process. Those people could have voted Liberal this time around as a protest. I've seen it happen elsewhere too (in one here in Alberta, the 'independent conservative took second place) - although this one was a much closer one than usual.

It bodes well for the Liberals, but I wouldn't consider the next election a done deal simply because there is a lot of time between then and now. If the Conservatives get rid of the deficit by the next election, it will be very close.

Ultimately, the party that leads will be the one that is closest to the centre - I'm not sure JT can move the party that far right without angering too many of the old guard (although if anyone is going to, it will be JT). If the Liberal platform is simply a rehash of Dion's Green Shift, I doubt they will do better than the Official Opposition.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:12 am

he has to be more fiscally prudent like Martin if he hopes to attract red tories and blue grits....that`s how the CPC did it initially. Canadians don`t want and won`t vote for a party that will raise taxes on the middle class.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:48 pm

Soft centre-left or soft centre-right doesn't concern me anymore. As long as the NDP gets knocked down to their traditional (and completely deserved) total of around 20 seats again I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:58 pm

$1:
With thanks to University of Calgary political scientist Paul Fairie, here are the aggregate vote swings across the four federal ridings that held by-elections on Monday

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/11/26/the- ... sh-either/

:rock:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:08 pm

election results are the only polls you can trust

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:12 pm

A taste of things to come? This was not a barn-burner of an outcome. If you painted an alligator red, they'd have voted for him in Montreal and Toronto. Ho hum. Same-old-same-old.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:53 pm

I am constantly amazed and how much everyone tries to read into results. The Status Quo reigned but its supposed to be a huge change. Yesterday there was an article saying a seismic shift and support solidifying for the Libs when they dropped 3 points in the poll. ShepherdsDog says truth when he says Election results are the only polls you can trust.

We are still almost 2 years away from the Federal Election. A wise man once said a week is a lifetime in politics. Well there are over 50 lifetimes left before the next election.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:52 am

back_blastnet back_blastnet:
I am constantly amazed and how much everyone tries to read into results. The Status Quo reigned but its supposed to be a huge change. Yesterday there was an article saying a seismic shift and support solidifying for the Libs when they dropped 3 points in the poll. ShepherdsDog says truth when he says Election results are the only polls you can trust.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/11/26/the- ... sh-either/[/quote]

Those ARE election results.

:rock:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:27 am

No dumbass.....these were the election results

Shares of the popular vote don`t determine who creates the government, seats won do. Funny how you never show the elections where Liberals won majorities, mainly because the numbers are similar.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:52 am

Thanos Thanos:

Not only that, those BQ Quebec supremacists were traded to you from the Mulroney Tories.