Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:32 pm

It should be a National holiday for everyone without exception. I have never understand why this not the case.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:34 pm

I don't get it, either. I understand (but don't approve) of why Quebec doesn't but ... Ontario?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:08 pm

It used to be a stat holiday in Ontario so kids weren't in school. They were just bumming around town rather than participating in any Remembrance Day ceremonies. That prompted many to question the logic in giving kids a play day instead of taking part in cenotaph ceremonies. So by making it not a stat holiday, it ensures that kids get some Remembrance education. And that was absolutely the correct decision.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:01 pm

It is in Saskatchewan!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:06 pm

And BC.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Remembrance Day is a Canadian statutory holiday except in N&L, NWT, Ontario and Quebec.

IIRC when growing up in Winterpeg in the 19*0's Nov 11 was a normal school day until 11:00am when the whole school met in the auditorium for the Remembrance Day ceremony, after that we were cut loose to do whatever for the rest of the day....you know, hang around the pool hall, bowling alley......

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:18 pm

We had our ceremony on Friday....obnoxious little fucks couldn`t keep their mouths shut for 10 seconds, or when some vets(one WW2 and one Korean War) were speaking.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm

Hyack Hyack:
Remembrance Day is a Canadian statutory holiday except in N&L, NWT, Ontario and Quebec.

IIRC when growing up in Winterpeg in the 19*0's Nov 11 was a normal school day until 11:00am when the whole school met in the auditorium for the Remembrance Day ceremony, after that we were cut loose to do whatever for the rest of the day....you know, hang around the pool hall, bowling alley, York boat landing or trading post

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:51 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Hyack Hyack:

IIRC when growing up in Winterpeg in the 19*0's Nov 11 was a normal school day until 11:00am when the whole school met in the auditorium for the Remembrance Day ceremony, after that we were cut loose to do whatever for the rest of the day....you know, hang around the pool hall, bowling alley, York boat landing or trading post

You forgot skinning beaver and carving paddles.... XD

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:56 pm

We had our ceremony on Friday....obnoxious little fucks couldn`t keep their mouths shut for 10 seconds, or when some vets(one WW2 and one Korean War) were speaking.
When I was teaching we had in school remembrance on the closest school day to the 11th. My Wolf Cubs also did the cenotaph at he 11th hour of the 11th. The children were remarkably well behaved during the ceremonies. Perhaps it's because it was so important to their grandparents. Over 30 years it was sad to see the ranks of the Vets grow smaller. There were only a few left when I retired. Most of those were post WWII armed forces members.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:08 pm

fifeboy fifeboy:
When I was teaching we had in school remembrance on the closest school day to the 11th. My Wolf Cubs also did the cenotaph at he 11th hour of the 11th. The children were remarkably well behaved during the ceremonies. Perhaps it's because it was so important to their grandparents. Over 30 years it was sad to see the ranks of the Vets grow smaller. There were only a few left when I retired. Most of those were post WWII armed forces members.

Our Remembrance Day ceremonies at the Cenotaph in Oakville have grown every year over the last decade and a half. I would say that about 3,000 people were there. I even have some photos. I will dig one out. My daughter is a cadet and she marches. There are still a couple of dozen WWII veterans and they march together with a contingent of maybe forty legion people. In the crowd, though, you will see many wearing some kind of subtle bits of gear that indicates they served during the "Cold War" period. I even saw an old hairy-ass in his worn out, 35 year old "Fraser" jacket! There are a lot of us around with our families in tow. It is a healthy, multi-generational scene even if it isn't a stat, holiday here.

P.S. we ALWAYS get a fly-by of the Lancaster, a wing of Harvards, a Mitchell and others right over our ceremony as the Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton is right up the shore and the guy who flies the Lanc. lives here.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:36 pm

2:
DSC01728 (2).jpg
DSC01728 (2).jpg [ 106.47 KiB | Viewed 504 times ]
1:
DSC01731 (2).jpg
DSC01731 (2).jpg [ 118.86 KiB | Viewed 502 times ]
4:
DSC01713 (2).jpg
DSC01713 (2).jpg [ 110.94 KiB | Viewed 507 times ]
Remembrance last year ... was a weekend, I know, but even so every year, there are more people.

Attachments:
DSC01733 (2).jpg
DSC01733 (2).jpg [ 23.18 KiB | Viewed 535 times ]
DSC01715 (2).jpg
DSC01715 (2).jpg [ 99.34 KiB | Viewed 484 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:15 pm

Because those provinces don't actually believe in honouring our vets, they're more interested in making sure their corporate masters don't have to pay overtime to service workers.
Hey I thought you wanted the truth, you're not required to believe it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:28 am

herbie herbie:
Because those provinces don't actually believe in honouring our vets, they're more interested in making sure their corporate masters don't have to pay overtime to service workers.
Hey I thought you wanted the truth, you're not required to believe it.

... could be .... could be ...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:33 am

Every day should be a StatHoliday. :D