CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:27 pm

November 30
This is the first week-end of the Great Canadian Constitutional Crisis, and it's been pretty much wall-to-wall on the talk radio shows, and likely will be until this comes to a head. It will just be a matter of how it will come to a head.

Concessions

Prime Minister Stephen Harper wisely chose to back down on the decision to take away funding for political parties, a move which would have crippled his rivals. Both the Liberals and NDP are in bad shape financially after the last election, and really count on the matching federal dollars. There was also mention of backing down on the idea of making it illegal for civil servants to go on strike.

In addition, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty has announced a date for a budget, January 27th, 2009, thus giving the Conservatives time to formulate a plan. The Liberals, Bloc and NDP don't stand a chance against the Conservatives if it is purely about the economy. They don't have a plan other than tax and spend, the same plan the've had since they formed as a party. at least as far as the Libs and NDP go, the Blocheads just want to separate.
Ed Broadbent and Jean Chretien attempted to mate late last week without success (thank Christ, what an ugly kid).
NDP Cries Foul
Things seemed to go a little pear-shaped in the NDP caucus however, after a recording of a meeting was released, in which Jack Layton announced that there had been on-going talks with the Bloc with regards to a coalition. The NDP is crying foul, but it will go nowhere.

The NDP said Sunday it may pursue criminal charges after the Conservatives covertly listened in, taped and distributed audio of Saturday's closed-door strategy session.

There no wiretap crime under the Criminal Code of Canada if someone is invited to participate in a conference call and then releases the recording publicly.

A spokesman for Prime Minister Stephen Harper said an unnamed Conservative had been "invited" to participate on the call.

"Maybe the invitation was meant for the Bloc, and they accidentally invited us," said Dimitri Soudas.

"We were invited. When you get invited somewhere you have the opportunity to choose to participate or not participate."

Courtesy CBC

Plot

There are those who suspect that the Conservatives have been playing this all along; that they floated the political party funding cuts to draw them in, then back off on the ideas, and decapitate the "coalition" with the economy. While I don't know this to be certain, I do know that the opportunity has presented itself to the PM and the Tories, to grasp a majority. The path to this success is narrow, and fraught with danger. It will require a capable leader to guide Canada through the economic crisis the globe faces. The people of Canada want and deserve good leadership, and good fiscal and economic policy, along with a prominent voice on the world stage. Clearly, the people of the country have no other choice, Stephen Harper.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:09 pm

BS. He wants to play Political games Country be damned.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:44 pm

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/latest/back-do ... clip117276

The former president of the LPC, Stephen LeDrew, doesn't seem to have much faith in a coalition government, or that Canadians will either. His comments start at about 3:00 in the interview.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:49 pm

I've come to the decision Canadian politics is big crock of poop.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:55 pm

llama66 llama66:

I wish university could let me write a paper with that as my topic. Honestly, that sums up my opinion perfectly

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:57 pm

commanderkai commanderkai:
llama66 llama66:

I wish university could let me write a paper with that as my topic. Honestly, that sums up my opinion perfectly

that would be an awesome topic, you could call it "Canadian Politics and Poop, why they are the same" by Commanderkai.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:01 am

llama66 llama66:
llama66 llama66:

that would be an awesome topic, you could call it "Canadian Politics and Poop, why they are the same" by Commanderkai.

I wish, plus it'd be filled with less bullshit than a paper with a more...proper topic.

I think this is how I'd arrange it.

1. The Bloc.

2. The Queen.

3. The Rest.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:20 am

llama66 llama66:

You can if you phrase it properly. 8)

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:56 am

I find it all highly entertaining.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:10 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:

Personally, I'm scared shitless!

8O

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:13 pm

Lei parla italiano?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:14 pm

llama66 llama66:
llama66 llama66:

ROTFL

Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:16 pm

Canada Held Hostage?! How ridiculous. This is how our parliamentary system is supposed to work when its majority loses confidence in the sitting government. Sit back and educate yourself, it's going to be O.K.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:19 pm

I still do not go for the idea of political parties helping themselves to taxpayer funds.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:19 pm

Blahgzilla Blahgzilla:
Canadaka Canadaka:

Personally, I'm scared shitless!

8O

:| Of what??