CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:22 pm

If Canada were forced to form a Union with either the United States of America or The United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand, which path do you think she would choose, and why?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:49 pm

:lol:
The UK comes first, always over the US, so this might be a weird question.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:54 pm

That would depend on what the circumstances were that would possibly put Canada in a position of being "forced" as you put it.

Do you have a scenario in mind?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Pardon me? The United Kingdom comes first over the U.S? You mean in affection with Canadians?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Harper replacing Obama? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:00 pm

@Strutz No, sorry but I didn't. I imagined invasion by a power strong enough to threaten Canada, but not strong enough to usher in World War III, but I admit that is not quite a perfect measure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:02 pm

@Brenda I am going to die of emberassment at my ignorance, but is Harper the Canadian Prime Minister?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:02 pm

I think in that case, there wil be enough allies to help. The US will not invade, but help, and neither will the others.

Why would anyone invade Canada anyway? We are not "all that" so to speak, compared to the US...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:04 pm

IlovUSandCanada wrote:
@Brenda I am going to die of emberassment at my ignorance, but is Harper the Canadian Prime Minister?

Hehe, I am going to embarrass you a little more by giving you the all knowing Wiki link :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Harper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:11 pm

@Brenda I know. I also found it highly unlikely that anyone would invade Canada, considering her (*huff*) good relations with almost all the countries of the Globe. For the purpose of this arguement, let's just assume some imaginary catastrophe that would make Canadians consider something like this, has just occured.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:13 pm

I would much prefer CANZUK, in fact I would love to see Canada join that union. NAU would mean American dominance, and Mexican instability for Canada.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:14 pm

IlovUSandCanada wrote:
@Strutz No, sorry but I didn't. I imagined invasion by a power strong enough to threaten Canada, but not strong enough to usher in World War III, but I admit that is not quite a perfect measure.

So you think if Canada was "threatened" we would have no choice but to join the US or the UK? We do have a military and stuff you know. Besides if Canada was threatened by another country (can't imagine who though) both the US and the UK and MANY other UN nations would be right there offering assistance, not a place to hide.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:25 pm

IlovUSandCanada wrote:
@Brenda I know. I also found it highly unlikely that anyone would invade Canada, considering her (*huff*) good relations with almost all the countries of the Globe. For the purpose of this arguement, let's just assume some imaginary catastrophe that would make Canadians consider something like this, has just occured.

You mean like the Russians storming across the arctic? I think NATO has us covered there.

International unions like the EU or a possible NAU are more for economic integration than they are for defense. Canada joining a NAU would really be Canada's economy being a part of America's economy. We would sink or swim depending how well the US does; well we're already like that, but it would be like that even more so.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:33 pm

I think Canada needs to revisit it's European ties to it's mother country England and join the EU.

I would like to have an EU passport and do some travelling. :D

Before you discount this as a crazy idea I'll point out Cyprus a current Union member isn't geographically a European Country but an Asian one but could join because of : "its extensive historical, cultural, and political ties to other European countries lead many to consider it as a European country in non-geographical contexts" according to the European Union."

Canada could be considered culturally connected to Europe and therefore could join.That and there are both English speaking ( Ireland and the United Kingdom ) and French speaking ( well France ) countries in the European Union.

Canada is currently treated as a junior partner by the United States, in nearly every trade and political agreement made with the US. Why not be treated as an equal in the European Union? This would greatly increase Canada's negotiating power in the World, forcing the US to treat Canada as an equal partner.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm against any forming of any more trade or military unions with any other states. We stand to be too negatively affected by the cultural and political chaos that's erupting in the United States. The Anzacs are too far away and the British are dissolving into complete cultural anarchy that's worse than anything that's even happened in the US. At this stage Canada should be seriously studying and implementing new policies that would help to shield us from the outside world and that would rebuild our domestic economic strength so that we'll be able to go it on our own if the overall situation (especially in the United States) further deteriorates to the point where we end up being devastated by someone else's inability to manage their own economy or society properly.

I'd take the page from the American Founding Fathers and implement it as a statement of a new vision of Canadian sovereignty. Peace, trade, and good relationships with all, but political/economic/military entanglements with none. This would clearly be in our own best interest.