Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:44 am

$1:
Chinese fear Canadian Prime Minister will bring up human rights
Epoch Times Staff Nov 17, 2006

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper; photo taken on July 14, 2006. (Richard Lewis-Pool/Getty Images)
Related Articles
- Chinese Diplomat Booted Out for Spying, Sources Say Thursday, November 16, 2006
The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on November 16 that China will resume bilateral meetings with Canada, after canceling the meeting between Head of the State Hu Jintao and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, which was scheduled to be held during the annual APEC conference. China had initially proposed the meeting.

Experts say the Chinese regime's concession represents a major breakthrough for Harper's principled diplomatic policy. The Harper government may set an example of confronting the Chinese evasion of human rights issues in international relations. Since 1989, the Chinese regime has effectively eased international pressure on human rights by insisting on discussing human rights behind closed doors with individual countries.

According to a source in the Canadian government, briefs prepared by Harper's aides include the issue of organ harvesting from live Falun Gong practitioners.

Not Selling Out
Since the Conservative Party took office in Canada early this January, the Harper administration has persistently maintained certain moral principles in its conduct of foreign relations. In its policy toward China, the Canadian government has consistently criticized China's human rights record.

Upon hearing China had cancelled the meeting, Harper said, "I think Canadians want us to promote our trade relations worldwide, and we do that, but I don't think Canadians want us to sell out important Canadian values—our belief in democracy, freedom, human rights," Harper continued, "They don't want us to sell that out to the almighty dollar." As China resumed the meeting with Canada, the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a warning: "We appose any foreign country using human rights as an excuse to make irresponsible remarks on China's internal affairs."

Harper said recently, "We are going to be very frank about those things [which include human rights] and we will not accept any conditions on having discussions."

China Needs Canadian Trade
According to trade data from the Canadian Statistical Bureau, Canada's trade deficit with China increased from $1.2 billion in 1995 to $22.4 billion in 2005, a more than 18 fold increase in 10 years.

Although China is Canada's second largest trade partner, the most important country for Canadian trade is the U.S. Of the total Canadian exports, exports to China account for only 1.6 percent, including mainly forest products and raw metals.

Experts say that maintaining a good bilateral relationship is more important for China. China not only sells large amounts of products to Canada, but Canada's rich mineral resources can also help meet China's critical needs. Therefore, for economic reasons, China must not damage its relationship with Canada casually.

source

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:09 am

Canada (and the USA) should seriously reconsider their policies of doing business with regimes whose practices would be illegal and reprehensible in our own countries.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:24 am

America isnt in the same position as Canada. Its American corporations that are mainly producing products in China, then selling them world wide. Racking huge profits that they bring back, at least in majority, to the US.

As for Canada, me mostly just buy the products American corporations produce in China.

Anyways, I'm pretty happy about Harper's position, and the fact he didnt back down.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:32 am

Numure Numure:
Anyways, I'm pretty happy about Harper's position, and the fact he didnt back down.

Agreed. It seems that he may be growing into his job.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:40 am

$1:
Canada (and the USA) should seriously reconsider their policies of doing business with regimes whose practices would be illegal and reprehensible in our own countries.

I agree. What do we need China for anyway? Cheap products that fall a part 10 minutes out of the box? I guess because of inflation China keeps the United States and Canada’s down for the consumers. But they really don't care about us or respect us in any way. They already have spies in this country stealing billions worth of technology. Maybe we should just close the door to them for we don't lose the most China does. They need our resources and they need us to buy their junk.

I boycott Chinese products myself and pretty much all products not made in Canada or at least in westernised countries. I'm not going to support countries or dictatorships that take advantage of their own people. Just think about that next time you are watching a child play with a toy from their happy meal and think about the child who was probably beaten to make that toy. I’m not going to support these atrocities and maybe others should stand up against them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:43 am

$1:
I agree. What do we need China for anyway? Cheap products that fall a part 10 minutes out of the box? I guess because of inflation China keeps the United States and Canada’s down for the consumers. But they really don't care about us or respect us in any way. They already have spies in this country stealing billions worth of technology. Maybe we should just close the door to them for we don't lose the most China does. They need our resources and they need us to buy their junk.

I boycott Chinese products myself and pretty much all products not made in Canada or at least in westernised countries. I'm not going to support countries or dictatorships that take advantage of their own people. Just think about that next time you are watching a child play with a toy from their happy meal and think about the child who was probably beaten to make that toy. I’m not going to support these atrocities and maybe others should stand up against them.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

While you have some very admirable morals, I gotta say that a lot of that was funny. :lol:

$1:

I'll give him that. He was firm in his position. I admire that. Kudos Harper.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:49 am

Reasons not to vote Liberal- Thursday, November 17, 2005 at 15:04

158. Canadian flag lapel pins being made in China. Only under pressure, Scott Brison flip flops and agrees to have them made in Canada again.

$1:
NDP wins battle for made-in-Canada flag pins
Updated Sat. Feb. 5 2005 8:00 AM ET

Canadian Press

OTTAWA -- The NDP stood on guard for thee and won one for made-in-Canada flag pins Friday.

New Democrat MP Charlie Angus had complained earlier in the week that a Chinese company had been contracted to supply the House of Commons with lapel flag pins.

The pins are handed out by MPs and senators. Angus said the trinkets should be made in Canada.

On Friday, Public Works Minister Scott Brison announced a change in policy. He told the Commons that future contracts for the parliamentary freebies would be given to Canadian suppliers.

"It's a shame this government has to be dragged kicking and screaming into this decision," Angus said, adding he wasn't totally satisfied.

"Scott Brison may think this flag fight stops here, but it doesn't.

"All flag pins for all Canadians should be made in Canada, not only the pins handed out by parliamentarians."

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:56 am

Harper flip-flops again, let's all appluad him for his new stance, and hope he maintains it for over a year:

Sept 08, 2005
A Conservative government would revisit the North American
Free Trade Agreement and explore expanded trade with China and India

if the United States is unwilling to toughen the pact's rules and
keep to them, something it appears unwilling to do in the softwood
lumber dispute, Conservative leader Stephen Harper said yesterday.

"We will have to put much higher emphasis in exploiting the growing
demand of China, India and others for our natural resource sectors --
options that did not exist in the 1980s." Quoth the hypocrite.

So what has changed now ? All of a sudden Harper has a conscience?

http://www.globalproblematique.net/pipe ... 03837.html

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:01 pm

$1:
While you have some very admirable morals, I gotta say that a lot of that was funny.

Why is it funny?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:04 pm

Do a little research into what is made in China, check on all your stuff, then come back and tell me... :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:07 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:
While you have some very admirable morals, I gotta say that a lot of that was funny.

Why is it funny?

have you ever been at any plant or factory in China? where did you get these ideas about children being beaten from?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:14 pm

Delwin Delwin:
Harper flip-flops again, let's all appluad him for his new stance, and hope he maintains it for over a year:

I don't see the flip flop. We are willing to trade on an equal and mutually profitable footing but trade comes after diplomatic recognition. I'm not for deals with tyrants and ghouls, regardless of the profits to be had.

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:17 pm

Numure Numure:
America isnt in the same position as Canada. Its American corporations that are mainly producing products in China, then selling them world wide. Racking huge profits that they bring back, at least in majority, to the US.

As for Canada, me mostly just buy the products American corporations produce in China.

What, happy with Harper??Thats awesome, can Canada count on your vote not to seperate now????LMAO

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:00 pm

$1:
Do a little research into what is made in China, check on all your stuff, then come back and tell me...

Nothing is. My tele made in Canada, computer made in Canada some parts are from Japan and Singapore though, telephone Great Britain, microwave Canada, toaster Canada, aquarium United States, light switches Canada, fan Canada, my desk Canada, and ect.

$1:
have you ever been at any plant or factory in China? where did you get these ideas about children being beaten from?

Have you? According to unesco and many other agencies child labour in China is growing and poverty is rising. Yes children are being abused and so are many workers in that country. But if they said anything they would probably be thrown in prison and again beaten for questioning their government. China is a country with numerous human rights abuses if you don't think they commit these abuses or believe what Beijing tells you then you are naive. I only have to ask the people who have come here from China and what some of the things that go on there.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:13 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:
Do a little research into what is made in China, check on all your stuff, then come back and tell me...

Nothing is. My tele made in Canada, computer made in Canada some parts are from Japan and Singapore though, telephone Great Britain, microwave Canada, toaster Canada, aquarium United States, light switches Canada, fan Canada, my desk Canada, and ect.

$1:

Have you? According to unesco and many other agencies child labour in China is growing and poverty is rising. Yes children are being abused and so are many workers in that country. But if they said anything they would probably be thrown in prison and again beaten for questioning their government. China is a country with numerous human rights abuses if you don't think they commit these abuses or believe what Beijing tells you then you are naive. I only have to ask the people who have come here from China and what some of the things that go on there.

i'd been living there for more than a year and going back next fall. I also go there for business trips regularly. I'm a sourcing manager and work with chinese suppliers namely! to visit their factories is my job!

children labour is used in the countryside like in villages in any traditional society. and in handicraft industry. I assure you that you do not consume these prducts! I did while back there and this was the way to help those children not to die starving! poverty is the problem, i don't question it. do you offer to boycott the products from every country that faces the problem of poverty? do you believe this has a positve effect?