CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
Profile
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:16 am
 


BeaverFever wrote:
Individualist wrote:
One things that’s easily forgotten in a media (social and otherwise) landscape that celebrates the extreme viewpoint is that Canadians are not sorting themselves into fascist and communist camps. The vast majority of conservatives are neither white supremacists not anarcho-capitalists, and the vast majority of progressives are not neo-Stalinist SJWs. If we’re settling into opposing camps, it is those who believe private enterprise is a necessary evil versus those who see government as a necessary evil. The key word in both cases is “necessary”. We are still arguing over the ratio of a mixed economy within a democratic society, and debating the amount of state intervention that should be utilized in trying to create a fair society and soften the sometimes sharp edges of a market economy. The majority of us have more in common with each other than with the fringes on either side.


Another great post. I would add that it’s the new/alternative/intern based media that highlights and caters to extremism. The traditional media sometimes does while chasing ratings especially the US and 24-hour news channels but not nearly to the same degree as online media.


I honestly believe Sanders, an honest to goodness social democrat, could have beaten Trump in the land that produced McCarthy. Hillary was the worst possible candidate to put against Trump. Because she’s Shooter McGavin (“Let’s get one thing straight, this is Shooter’s tour. I’ve worked hard my whole life, paid my dues, and now it’s Shooter’s turn.“), which allowed Trump to be Happy Gilmore (someone who wanders into golf/politics from a completely different sport). And who did people cheer for in that movie? The US presidential election was neither a victory for the right nor a loss for the left. It was the dysfunction of a cronyistic and out of touch US political system coming to a head. And when the Canadian public stop finding Trudeau’s identity politics obsession and high school cool kid act endearing, we may well end up at a similar crossroads here.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 23214
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:41 pm
 


Individualist wrote:
BeaverFever wrote:
Individualist wrote:
One things that’s easily forgotten in a media (social and otherwise) landscape that celebrates the extreme viewpoint is that Canadians are not sorting themselves into fascist and communist camps. The vast majority of conservatives are neither white supremacists not anarcho-capitalists, and the vast majority of progressives are not neo-Stalinist SJWs. If we’re settling into opposing camps, it is those who believe private enterprise is a necessary evil versus those who see government as a necessary evil. The key word in both cases is “necessary”. We are still arguing over the ratio of a mixed economy within a democratic society, and debating the amount of state intervention that should be utilized in trying to create a fair society and soften the sometimes sharp edges of a market economy. The majority of us have more in common with each other than with the fringes on either side.


Another great post. I would add that it’s the new/alternative/intern based media that highlights and caters to extremism. The traditional media sometimes does while chasing ratings especially the US and 24-hour news channels but not nearly to the same degree as online media.


I honestly believe Sanders, an honest to goodness social democrat, could have beaten Trump in the land that produced McCarthy. Hillary was the worst possible candidate to put against Trump. Because she’s Shooter McGavin (“Let’s get one thing straight, this is Shooter’s tour. I’ve worked hard my whole life, paid my dues, and now it’s Shooter’s turn.“), which allowed Trump to be Happy Gilmore (someone who wanders into golf/politics from a completely different sport). And who did people cheer for in that movie? The US presidential election was neither a victory for the right nor a loss for the left. It was the dysfunction of a cronyistic and out of touch US political system coming to a head. And when the Canadian public stop finding Trudeau’s identity politics obsession and high school cool kid act endearing, we may well end up at a similar crossroads here.

What an outstanding analogy.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 27462
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:07 pm
 


Makes even more sense when you consider that most Trump supporters come across like they've got a six-inch nail embedded deep in their skulls. That ain't Shooter's fault either. :lol:

Image


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
Profile
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:41 am
 


Thanos wrote:
Makes even more sense when you consider that most Trump supporters come across like they've got a six-inch nail embedded deep in their skulls. That ain't Shooter's fault either. :lol:

Image


Shooter also had a knack for insulting Happy’s fans (“Frankenstein’s fat foot”). Deplorables, anyone?


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
Profile
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:20 am
 


And then of course there’s Kathleen Wynne in Ontario - “It’s still Shooter’s turn. Shooter’s not done yet.”


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
Profile
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:04 pm
 


Individualist wrote:
And then of course there’s Kathleen Wynne in Ontario - “It’s still Shooter’s turn. Shooter’s not done yet.”


Bye Shooter!


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 27462
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:06 pm
 


Shooter is now being beated to death by the mob of lowlifes after trying to steal Happy's gold jacket. :mrgreen:


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
Profile
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:15 pm
 


Thanos wrote:
Shooter is now being beated to death by the mob of lowlifes after trying to steal Happy's gold jacket. :mrgreen:


The janitorial staff at the Toronto Star are going to be working overtime mopping up the tears and sweeping up the pulled out clumps of hair.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
Profile
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:21 pm
 


Individualist wrote:
The fundamental question that has been presented to voters in Canada, and on a smaller stage in Ontario is “How much arrogance, sleaze, economic mismanagement and authoritarianism are you willing to put up with to preserve activist/interventionist government?” The answer for a majority in both cases seems to be “quite a bit”.


Or to answer the question more precisely in the face of the SNC-Lavalin scandal, as much as Gerald Butts and his meat puppet can serve up.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 27462
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:52 pm
 


All they have to do is yell out "HARPER!" whenever confronted with evidence of their own corruption & arrogance and they'll get another pass from the Laurentian corridor. Ford-Nation might stymie their plans in the Ontario suburbs but urban Toronto/Montreal/Ottawa will stay steadfastly loyal as usual. Wilson-Raybould could produce recordings of her being told personally by Trudeau & Butts to lay off of being too mean to SNC or else it's curtains for her, and it wouldn't matter the slightest in those ridings. The Big Red L is their favourite racehorse of all time and they'll ride it until the rest of the country puts it out of it's misery.

"HARPER!" is also something that hasn't run past it's due-date either. Odds are that the squishes will still start quaking in terror at the mere thought of him for at least one more election cycle. Y'know, because he was a true-blue earth-raping anti-gay anti-women fascist and all that. :roll:


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
Profile
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:45 am
 


Thanos wrote:
All they have to do is yell out "HARPER!" whenever confronted with evidence of their own corruption & arrogance and they'll get another pass from the Laurentian corridor. Ford-Nation might stymie their plans in the Ontario suburbs but urban Toronto/Montreal/Ottawa will stay steadfastly loyal as usual. Wilson-Raybould could produce recordings of her being told personally by Trudeau & Butts to lay off of being too mean to SNC or else it's curtains for her, and it wouldn't matter the slightest in those ridings. The Big Red L is their favourite racehorse of all time and they'll ride it until the rest of the country puts it out of it's misery.

"HARPER!" is also something that hasn't run past it's due-date either. Odds are that the squishes will still start quaking in terror at the mere thought of him for at least one more election cycle. Y'know, because he was a true-blue earth-raping anti-gay anti-women fascist and all that. :roll:


To my original point in this thread, the only way the Conservatives can overcome this is to abandon the idea of shrinking the welfare state, which Canadians are strongly attached to, and focus on dismantling the social engineering state instead, while also providing sound fiscal management and ethical administration. Be the adults in the room as always, but a little less stern.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
Profile
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:49 pm
 


Butts is gone! Now let’s see how Pinocchio gets along without the guy holding the strings.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
Profile
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:05 am
 


The Conservatives can win in October. It’s in their grasp. Andrew Scheer can position himself as the square but ethical adult in the room cleaning up after the McGill frat boys. But the Conservatives need to make peace with the welfare state. You can get elected by promising not to mess with it, and get re-elected by not messing with it. Stop acting like your mission is to choke out big government. The economy has become too precarious for many Canadians to feel secure, and there are only so many of us who are so committed to individualism that we’re willing to risk being run under the wheels of capricious markets. The old trick of cutting taxes to create a revenue crisis which then justifies cuts in social spending used to work, but people are wise to it now. The Laurentian Consensus was never as much about govnerment intervention to help ordinary Canadians as it was about intervention to protect the connected and preserve regional power imbalances, and the recent SNC Lavalin crisis exposes Trudeau’s and Butts’ sunny ways as scummy ways. You can still challenge and defy the Laurentian elites without drowning the social safety net they built in a bathtub. Austerity and laissez-faire economics won’t make us a country of self-reliant individualists. People need to feel that they’re playing a non-rigged game and that their lives aren’t the stakes. Clean up the game, and preserve a basic safety net, and people will start taking more risks, even Canadians.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 7797
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:11 am
 


Individualist wrote:
The Conservatives can win in October. It’s in their grasp. Andrew Scheer can position himself as the square but ethical adult in the room cleaning up after the McGill frat boys. But the Conservatives need to make peace with the welfare state. You can get elected by promising not to mess with it, and get re-elected by not messing with it. Stop acting like your mission is to choke out big government. The economy has become too precarious for many Canadians to feel secure, and there are only so many of us who are so committed to individualism that we’re willing to risk being run under the wheels of capricious markets. The old trick of cutting taxes to create a revenue crisis which then justifies cuts in social spending used to work, but people are wise to it now. The Laurentian Consensus was never as much about govnerment intervention to help ordinary Canadians as it was about intervention to protect the connected and preserve regional power imbalances, and the recent SNC Lavalin crisis exposes Trudeau’s and Butts’ sunny ways as scummy ways. You can still challenge and defy the Laurentian elites without drowning the social safety net they built in a bathtub. Austerity and laissez-faire economics won’t make us a country of self-reliant individualists. People need to feel that they’re playing a non-rigged game and that their lives aren’t the stakes. Clean up the game, and preserve a basic safety net, and people will start taking more risks, even Canadians.

Succinct, as always. However, I don't feel Scheer is the man to lead the Conservatives. He has done nothing to stand out in Canadian's minds. The Conservative party would have been better served with a person like Bernier leading.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13484

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:21 am
 


Populist Bernier is just a Ford/Trump clone that’s taken an etiquette class.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.