CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2926
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:11 pm
 


Benoit wrote:
Movements of population will not start in 100 years since workers who quit or retire will get out of Alberta, heading to their provinces of origin and be replaced by others from all over Canada. If Alberta keeps all the oil revenues, the infrastructures to allow theses country-wide movements will be let to crumble.


That's an exaggeration.

Quote:
Natural resources belong to no one in the first place, they should be appropriated following just rules i.e. lockean proviso.


Says who?


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4661
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:31 pm
 


Toro wrote:
Quote:
Natural resources belong to no one in the first place, they should be appropriated following just rules i.e. lockean proviso.


Says who?


John Locke, the father of english political sciences, the father of liberalism.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2926
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:48 pm
 


Benoit wrote:
Toro wrote:
Quote:
Natural resources belong to no one in the first place, they should be appropriated following just rules i.e. lockean proviso.


Says who?


John Locke, the father of english political sciences, the father of liberalism.


So?

Simply because a philosopher says this is how it should be done doesn't mean that's the way it is done.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4661
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:19 am
 


Toro wrote:
Benoit wrote:
Toro wrote:
Quote:
Natural resources belong to no one in the first place, they should be appropriated following just rules i.e. lockean proviso.


Says who?


John Locke, the father of english political sciences, the father of liberalism.


So?

Simply because a philosopher says this is how it should be done doesn't mean that's the way it is done.


Among the people who know something about the matter, nobody to this date has succeeded to formulate a critic of the lockean proviso that is accepted.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
Profile
Posts: 3469
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:10 am
 


Rev_Blair wrote:
That's not the only argument though. Much more persuasive is the idea of using oil revenues to encourage economic diversity.

The problem with that is the Alberta experience...almost all of the "diversity" is dependent on the oil patch under more careful scrutiny. The inflation caused by the oil industry actually discourages other industries from basing themselves there.

Still, a responsible provincial government could manage it differently.

That doesn't make anybody right or wrong in the Accord argument.

It does make Harper less than honest though. He said one thing, then did another. He's a lot like Trudeau, Mulroney, and Chretien. Let's spike him to a tree.


that post shows how little you know about Alberta, theres innovation and leading edge technology coming out of Alberta on a steady basis. I work for a doctor that has changed the way the whole world treats a group of respiratory disorders. He's got no direct connection to the oil and gas industry. you know the wi-fi standard? its a calgary invention, and so is it's next generation.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4661
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:21 am
 


Aging_Redneck wrote:
Rev_Blair wrote:
That's not the only argument though. Much more persuasive is the idea of using oil revenues to encourage economic diversity.

The problem with that is the Alberta experience...almost all of the "diversity" is dependent on the oil patch under more careful scrutiny. The inflation caused by the oil industry actually discourages other industries from basing themselves there.

Still, a responsible provincial government could manage it differently.

That doesn't make anybody right or wrong in the Accord argument.

It does make Harper less than honest though. He said one thing, then did another. He's a lot like Trudeau, Mulroney, and Chretien. Let's spike him to a tree.


that post shows how little you know about Alberta, theres innovation and leading edge technology coming out of Alberta on a steady basis. I work for a doctor that has changed the way the whole world treats a group of respiratory disorders. He's got no direct connection to the oil and gas industry. you know the wi-fi standard? its a calgary invention, and so is it's next generation.


Even geniuses don’t deserve all the income they can generate since a part of their income can be attributed to natural talent, which is a given, like having a particular gene.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
Profile
Posts: 4615
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:08 pm
 


Quote:
Even geniuses don’t deserve all the income they can generate since a part of their income can be attributed to natural talent, which is a given, like having a particular gene.


Yes of course the work involved to focus themselves and their skills has no effect on their success. Being intelligent doesn't make you automatically successful just as being stupid doesn't make you automatically unsuccessful either. Take one example the most intelligent man in the United States is I believe a bouncer at a night club and has an IQ of 195. I even have a friend who is quite intelligent and is working at Home Depot right now and has never motivated himself to do more in life. Geniuses don't deserve anything but people who push themselves and through their hard work and achievements do deserve more than those who are simply less motivated or innovative.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2926
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:01 pm
 


Benoit wrote:
Toro wrote:
Benoit wrote:
Toro wrote:
Quote:
Natural resources belong to no one in the first place, they should be appropriated following just rules i.e. lockean proviso.


Says who?


John Locke, the father of english political sciences, the father of liberalism.


So?

Simply because a philosopher says this is how it should be done doesn't mean that's the way it is done.


Among the people who know something about the matter, nobody to this date has succeeded to formulate a critic of the lockean proviso that is accepted.


Well, that's very nice and all but in the real world, natural resources do belong to someone.

Thus, who cares?


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4661
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:06 pm
 


Toro wrote:
Benoit wrote:
Toro wrote:
Benoit wrote:
Toro wrote:
Quote:
Natural resources belong to no one in the first place, they should be appropriated following just rules i.e. lockean proviso.


Says who?


John Locke, the father of english political sciences, the father of liberalism.


So?

Simply because a philosopher says this is how it should be done doesn't mean that's the way it is done.


Among the people who know something about the matter, nobody to this date has succeeded to formulate a critic of the lockean proviso that is accepted.


Well, that's very nice and all but in the real world, natural resources do belong to someone.

Thus, who cares?


Those who want to avoid more wars over resources.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2926
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:38 pm
 


Benoit wrote:
Those who want to avoid more wars over resources.


That's very nice and all, but a Lockean proviso is not relevant as it does not describe the world as it is.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4661
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:14 pm
 


Toro wrote:
Benoit wrote:
Those who want to avoid more wars over resources.


That's very nice and all, but a Lockean proviso is not relevant as it does not describe the world as it is.


Normative theories (theories about what should be) cannot be replaced by positive theories (theories about what the world is).


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2926
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:51 am
 


Benoit wrote:
Toro wrote:
Benoit wrote:
Those who want to avoid more wars over resources.


That's very nice and all, but a Lockean proviso is not relevant as it does not describe the world as it is.


Normative theories (theories about what should be) cannot be replaced by positive theories (theories about what the world is).


And this is relative to the real world how?


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4661
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:01 am
 


Toro wrote:
Benoit wrote:
Toro wrote:
Benoit wrote:
Those who want to avoid more wars over resources.


That's very nice and all, but a Lockean proviso is not relevant as it does not describe the world as it is.


Normative theories (theories about what should be) cannot be replaced by positive theories (theories about what the world is).


And this is relative to the real world how?


In the real world, the equalization formula has to be rethink each five years.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4661
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:54 am
 


Benoit wrote:
Toro wrote:
Benoit wrote:
Toro wrote:
Benoit wrote:
Those who want to avoid more wars over resources.


That's very nice and all, but a Lockean proviso is not relevant as it does not describe the world as it is.


Normative theories (theories about what should be) cannot be replaced by positive theories (theories about what the world is).


And this is relative to the real world how?


In the real world, the equalization formula has to be rethink each five years.


So?

Muted?


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2926
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:20 pm
 


Benoit wrote:
Benoit wrote:
Toro wrote:
Benoit wrote:
Toro wrote:
Benoit wrote:
Those who want to avoid more wars over resources.


That's very nice and all, but a Lockean proviso is not relevant as it does not describe the world as it is.


Normative theories (theories about what should be) cannot be replaced by positive theories (theories about what the world is).


And this is relative to the real world how?


In the real world, the equalization formula has to be rethink each five years.


So?

Muted?


No.

Bored.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.