CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:56 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:
What freedoms in particular?

Self determination.

So, as a citizen of the Republic of Alberta I could declare myself my own country then?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:58 pm

$1:
So, as a citizen of the Republic of Alberta I could declare myself my own country then?

Do you just bring up the same things repeatedly?

Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:58 pm

As it stands right now, I can drive from Vancouver Island to Charlottetown without leaving my country. It's my constitutional right to travel freely within the country.

If the provinces or regions were all different country, we couldn't do that.

As it stands right now, my country has a voice in important international organizations like Nato, Norad, the G8, La Francophonie, etc. etc.

If the provinces or regions were all different countries, where would that leave us?

Right now, I can get health care in any province in this country, or easily accept a job in another province without hesitation. I can pick up and move to Victoria tommorow if I want to - be it for work, school, or family.

If we were all different countries, that could be a problem.

But hey, I get to vote for the government of my country. Of course, I do that now...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:05 pm

$1:

As it stands right now, I can drive from Vancouver Island to Charlottetown without leaving my country. It's my constitutional right to travel freely within the country.

As it stands right now, my country has a voice in important international organizations like Nato, Norad, the G8, La Francophonie, etc. etc.

If the provinces or regions were all different countries, where would that leave us?

Right now, I can get health care in any province in this country, or easily accept a job in another province without hesitation. I can pick up and move to Victoria tommorow if I want to - be it for work, school, or family.

But hey, I get to vote for the government of my country. Of course, I do that now...

See what I wrote for Zipperfish. If you read in this thread much of this solved all these things. For travelling look up the trans tasman travel arrangements for an example of what we could do if we really wanted to.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:27 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:

See what I wrote for Zipperfish. If you read in this thread much of this solved all these things. For travelling look up the trans tasman travel arrangements for an example of what we could do if we really wanted to.

you have it all figured out don't you

:roll:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:35 pm

USCAdad USCAdad:
Does BC get to collect revenues on it's most lucrative industry?

Maybe they're too busy collecting the revenues from Ontario and Alberta's lucrative industries.

Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:10 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
See what I wrote for Zipperfish. If you read in this thread much of this solved all these things. For travelling look up the trans tasman travel arrangements for an example of what we could do if we really wanted to..

Interprovincial relations are a tricky business now...do you really think that's going to get any easier when they all seperate into individual countries?

'Saying' something is possible is not the same as 'solving' the problem. It's taken a long time to get this country as good as it is. I think you're severely underestimating how difficult it would be - practically speaking - to get things anywhere near that good if we broke the country up into its components.

We could re-arrange Canada into a loose federation like the European Union, as well - 'if we really wanted to'.

But the question is...why would we want to? What makes it worth all the trouble?

Is being an 'Albertan' or a 'Biritis Columbian' so much better than being 'Canadian' that you need your passport to say it?

Last edited by ReliableIntelligence on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:17 pm

USCAdad USCAdad:

If you thought the health cost lawsuits on tobacco were bad, you aint seen nothing yet.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:56 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
USCAdad USCAdad:

If you thought the health cost lawsuits on tobacco were bad, you aint seen nothing yet.

Who knows ultimately. I'd chew my own right arm off to be able to quit tobaco. I've never had a problem with moderate use of herb. If it were cheaper (instead of lining the pockets of criminal groups) I'd use it in cooking and not smoke it at all.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:20 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:

Do you just bring up the same things repeatedly?

Until they're addressed, yes. Just pointing out the gaping hole in your argument.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:41 pm

ReliableIntelligence ReliableIntelligence:

This is the best post so far. The one thing i never understood about separatists is their willingness to settle for something smaller and weaker than what they have now. Trudeau once said "why settle for quebec (substitute quebec for any province if you want) when you can have all of canada" Well, why exactly don't some people want the political and economic advantages and freedom of movement that comes with a full canada? No individual province or even group of provinces could match what canada as a whole presently has. What canada needs is reform, not division.

By the way Clogeroo, I have two questions.

1. Do you like having the eastern provinces as part of your country, or does it not matter?

2. What if you got your western canada and a province like say BC or manitoba wanted to separate, would you support it?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:49 pm

$1:
Self determination.

You already have that...

$1:
you have it all figured out don't you

Yes, a 19 year old has all the solutions to his Privinces and the country's problems... :lol:

You know Clogeroo, I have heard you in the past being proud to be Canadian and being proud of Canada. But as it slowly comes to me now, it was only the British aspects you liked about it(due to your British heritage). I'm half French Canadian, and proud of that heritage, but it takes a back seat to my country as a whole.

You go on saying stuff like: "My Province should seperate" and somehow, you manage to magically come up with all the solutions that anyone could ask for. Please, stop living in a dreamworld.

While many people dream of accomplishing great things, some actually go out there and do it.

The above is blatently ripped off of a poster in my school's guidance office. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:51 pm

$1:

1. Do you like having the eastern provinces as part of your country, or does it not matter?

As far as I can tell, he feels that my Province and City are directly responsible for all of the West's problems.

Thank God I live in a kick-ass province like Ontario, otherwise, the bitching from the West and the East I have to put up with on a near daily basis would force me to move. :roll:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:51 pm

$1:
You know Clogeroo, I have heard you in the past being proud to be Canadian and being proud of Canada. But as it slowly comes to me now, it was only the British aspects you liked about it(due to your British heritage). I'm half French Canadian, and proud of that heritage, but it takes a back seat to my country as a whole.

Well what "Canadian" aspects are there?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:54 pm

$1:

2. What if you got your western canada and a province like say BC or manitoba wanted to separate, would you support it?

1. I feel we would be better to be more independent of each other politically.

2. If the people within them wanted too by all means.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next