New Brunswick 729 498 10
Nova Scotia 908 007 11
Saskatchewan 978 933 14
Manitoba 1 119 583 14
Alberta 2 974 807 28
British Columbia 3 907 738 36
Quebec 7 237 479 75
Ontario 11 410 046 106
These are existing 2001 population numbers.
source

By 2005 numbers:
Quebec 7,598.100
Alberta 3,256.800
BC 4,254.500

source

As it is now, BC and Alberta equal Quebec in population but has 11 less seats. Reguardless of population, I doubt there will ever be a day when Canada grants the west it's fair share,
and the solution is definately not to elect more Liberals.

By that logic, Ontario is getting shortchanged as well.

The Metro Toronto Area has a population greater than B.C., is it therefore entitled to more than 34 seats?

Ontario is getting shortchanged. Alberta, BC, and Ontario are the only provinces whose populations and numbers of seats match the electoral quotient. All other provinces have their seat numbers bolstered by grandfathering. PEI is actually the worst offender, having 4 seats but not having the population to justify more than 1. Quebec is actually the least skewed of the provinces still under grandfathering.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:54 pm

ReliableIntelligence ReliableIntelligence:

The Metro Toronto Area has a population greater than B.C., is it therefore entitled to more than 34 seats?

Yes it is.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:55 pm

Obviously if no provices are happy with this, maybe it's time to re-visit the terms of confederation?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:57 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Yes lets elect the NDP for Electoral reform, the watch our economy sink faster then a submarine with screen doors. Not to mention our military volunteer numbers drop, and the equipment get so old we have to blow dust off them when the NDP grows a spine.

I'll admit that the NDP would kill our economy and military if elected just as soon as you admit that Harper has a hidden agenda to criminalize homosexuality and abortions if granted a majority.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:59 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
Obviously if no provices are happy with this, maybe it's time to re-visit the terms of confederation?

Confederation was never a well-thought idea to begin with. The British just did it in order to put a constraint on the American "rebels".

Ontario could be the next Luxembourg if it leaves now. Instead we'll wait for 20 years until the country really splits, and we'll end up being the next Romania.

Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:00 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
Ontario is getting shortchanged. Alberta, BC, and Ontario are the only provinces whose populations and numbers of seats match the electoral quotient. All other provinces have their seat numbers bolstered by grandfathering. PEI is actually the worst offender, having 4 seats but not having the population to justify more than 1. Quebec is actually the least skewed of the provinces still under grandfathering.

By population, it's the territories that have the most least population/representative.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:01 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
Tricks Tricks:
Yes lets elect the NDP for Electoral reform, the watch our economy sink faster then a submarine with screen doors. Not to mention our military volunteer numbers drop, and the equipment get so old we have to blow dust off them when the NDP grows a spine.

I'll admit that the NDP would kill our economy and military if elected just as soon as you admit that Harper has a hidden agenda to criminalize homosexuality and abortions if granted a majority.
Abortions maybe, but not homosexuality. This hidden agenda shit is a scare tactic that has been used by the left, and now that Harper is in office and isn't seen as some scary guy, then they can't stand on that any longer.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:05 pm

$1:
Now explain to me again why Ontario should stay in Canada? We have different values from Western Canada, Quebec hates us, and Newfoundland wants us to pay their bills while they twiddle their thumbs over their stockpile of liquid gold.

BTW, I guarantee Newfoundland will be separating as soon as they become self-sufficient. Look at how easy they took down their flags when they "couldn't take yes for an answer".

Western Canada wants out, Quebec wants out, the Atlantic provinces will want out once after they're rich.

It's stupid for Ontario to continue being part of this charade. We will continue throwing away money for the next 10-20 years and then find everyone else rich off of our hard work and us laying bruised in a ditch.

The only thing we have in common across Canada is hockey, and I don't think a sport is a reason to throw away our resources.

You are right you shouldn't. But you came up with this idea called Canada and are essentially what Canada is.

As for Newfoundland what do you expect? They were their own country before you really think Canada could tame them? They only joined mostly because Canada was writing out the cheques. But really saying the poor Ontario thing is kind of stupid as well. Since you control the majority of the country and are the largest province you do receive considerable attention. Ontario has reaped its rewards from Canada put it that way as every province has.

We are not really a country at all when you think about it. The only time we ever really acted together was when we were faced with dire most destruction. Such as the American threat that brought us together and the world wars that spurred some common linking between us except the French. But even then our fondness between our provinces has never really been that enthusiastic. What has kept us together is really not wanting to be amalgamated by other countries and it is better to put up with each other than for that happen.

Not to mention the crown has played a role to a degree in our past. We put on a good face for it for the sake of the motherland and the empire functions but now that is less relevant the only face we see is the other provinces faces. We are like children with the head of the household gone and we are left to be as wicked as we want because mummy isn’t here anymore.

So now Alberta is in the corner crying because Quebec left all but one of her lollipops for her. B.C. and the other Prairie Provinces are consolidating Alberta and thinking of taking the box of lollies and running away with them. Ontario the older stronger sibling tries to bring some order and take charge of what is going on. Newfoundland the oldest but weaker sibling is shaking his head and wondering why is he even part of this family and thinking perhaps he was adopted The Maritimes, the wee ones of the bunch fell down and are bleeding and are trying to get Ontario and everyone’s attention but are mostly ignored. All of this is just another day in the house we call Canada.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:09 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:
Now explain to me again why Ontario should stay in Canada? We have different values from Western Canada, Quebec hates us, and Newfoundland wants us to pay their bills while they twiddle their thumbs over their stockpile of liquid gold.

BTW, I guarantee Newfoundland will be separating as soon as they become self-sufficient. Look at how easy they took down their flags when they "couldn't take yes for an answer".

Western Canada wants out, Quebec wants out, the Atlantic provinces will want out once after they're rich.

It's stupid for Ontario to continue being part of this charade. We will continue throwing away money for the next 10-20 years and then find everyone else rich off of our hard work and us laying bruised in a ditch.

The only thing we have in common across Canada is hockey, and I don't think a sport is a reason to throw away our resources.

You are right you shouldn't. But you came up with this idea called Canada and are essentially what Canada is.

As for Newfoundland what do you expect? They were their own country before you really think Canada could tame them? They only joined mostly because Canada was writing out the cheques. But really saying the poor Ontario thing is kind of stupid as well. Since you control the majority of the country and are the largest province you do receive considerable attention. Ontario has reaped its rewards from Canada put it that way as every province has.

We are not really a country at all when you think about it. The only time we ever really acted together was when we were faced with dire most destruction. Such as the American threat that brought us together and the world wars that spurred some common linking between us except the French. But even then our fondness between our provinces has never really been that enthusiastic. What has kept us together is really not wanting to be amalgamated by other countries and it is better to put up with each other than for that happen.

Not to mention the crown has played a role to a degree in our past. We put on a good face for it for the sake of the motherland and the empire functions but now that is less relevant the only face we see is the other provinces faces. We are like children with the head of the household gone and we are left to be as wicked as we want because mummy isn’t here anymore.

So now Alberta is in the corner crying because Quebec left all but one of her lollipops for her. B.C. and the other Prairie Provinces are consolidating Alberta and thinking of taking the box of lollies and running away with them. Ontario the older stronger sibling tries to bring some order and take charge of what is going on. Newfoundland the oldest but weaker sibling is shaking his head and wondering why is he even part of this family and thinking perhaps he was adopted The Maritimes, the wee ones of the bunch fell down and are bleeding and are trying to get Ontario and everyone’s attention but are mostly ignored. All of this is just another day in the house we call Canada.

LOL. That sums it up nicely.

Accept I don't know about Ontario having any power over the rest of the country. Seems like we have it dictated to us how much money we will send to the other provinces without having any say in it.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:09 pm

Tricks Tricks:
hurley_108 hurley_108:
Tricks Tricks:

Abortions maybe, but not homosexuality. This hidden agenda shit is a scare tactic that has been used by the left, and now that Harper is in office and isn't seen as some scary guy, then they can't stand on that any longer.

This "NDP will destroy the economy" shit is a scare tactic.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:10 pm

SJ-24 SJ-24:
And here is where things get a little funny. You see, I was in the military and know damn well the military doesn't have the resources to take care of a 100 sq kms much less an area the size of Alberta. I think you need to be more realistic about what Canada can do and what it can't do to an entire population the size of Alberta. Also consider that Western Canadians and Maritime regions make up a large population of the combat troops. Explain to them how they are to crush their home province. I compare that to telling Iraqi troops to open fire on their home village...Highly unlikely to happen Zipperfish. A departing province would simply depart and Ottawa would have to deal with it. That includes Quebec.

Besides...How are they going to get those troops moved around...On those pretend helicopters and troops transports the Liberals purchased? :lol:

It wasn't pretty in the US, either. They faced the same obstacles. Brother against brother and all that. It's my personal opinion that the US ended up stronger as a result of fighting the secession of the South.

I wonder if there was any discussion in the US Supremem Court about secession in the US in 1860, or if the North and the South just went at it.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:12 pm

And the seperatist tells it like it is!:

$1:
January 22, 2007

Dion expects election this year

Liberal Opposition Leader Stephany Dion attends a town Hall meeting with students from Saint-Charles Garnier College. (CP/Laetitia DeConninck)
QUEBEC (CP) - Liberal Leader Stephane Dion says he expects a federal election this year.

Dion doesn't want a snap election, :lol: but said today in Quebec City he won't support the next Conservative budget if it's not in Canadians' interests. :roll: He's meeting with his caucus in Quebec City for the next two days. :twisted: The Liberal leader also met briefly with Quebec City Mayor Andree Boucher and spoke to students at College St-Charles Garnier, a high school he attended between 1967 and 1972. :oops:

Dion criticized the Conservatives for not cutting greenhouse gases in the last year.
:roll:

Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:16 pm

You expect him to commit to voting for a budget he hasn't seen yet?

What kind of responsible opposition leader would do that?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:17 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
I should just fucking ban all you seperatist fucks, you make me sick.

Oh cry cry, we loose our conservative government, so lets work to break up the best country on earth.

I truely beleive even in Quebec and Alberta the people that want to seperate are small numbers, that are just vocal. Some people might consider it on a poll here or there, but when it really came down to it they would be for Canada.

Many US states have seperation parties or groups like above as well.

Man, the bolded part is the best line I've ever seen come from a webmaster... :lol:

Otherwise I wholeheartedly agree.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:18 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
Tricks Tricks:
hurley_108 hurley_108:
Tricks Tricks:

This "NDP will destroy the economy" shit is a scare tactic.
No, a scare tactic is when it isn't true. The NDP nearly drove the Ontario economy into nothing. The NDP actually will destroy the economy.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 12  Next