bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:23 am

Quote:
Trust in the media is sinking and it's time to act: Neil Macdonald

If I were a public figure — a politician, a senior public servant, a judge, someone in the national security apparatus — I doubt I would speak to most reporters.

Actually, if it were just me, going through some horrible personal episode that occasioned a local police reporter to call my home, I would likely hang up.

Why? Because reporters are no different from others whose positions confer a degree of public trust — some of them aren't very bright. Like a stupid cop or a nasty bureaucrat, or, worse, a maliciously dull-witted doctor or lawyer or stockbroker, a bad reporter can ruin a person's life, or at least a person's career.

But there's a difference: all of the other occupations I just mentioned are legally leashed and held accountable, to one extent or another. People in those jobs must qualify for them, and submit to strict professional standards.

A lawyer is governed not just by normal criminal and civil law, but by clearly defined ethics, interpreted by quasi-judicial boards of his or her peers. The same self-regulation is practised by most other professions.

Not journalism. There is no uniform qualification for a reporter, no uniform code of behaviour. Journalism has vigorously resisted any efforts to legally define journalism, or any sort of peer review.

Yes, some of the bigger journalistic organizations have ombudsmen, or public editors, but their only power is suasion. Yes, there are press councils that judge public complaints, but they have no fangs. Yes, some outfits, like CBC, have internal policies that set rules of behaviour for their reporters, but enforcement is at the discretion of managers.

A huge swath of journalism doesn't even bother pretending self-regulation.

And in any event, who is a journalist anymore? The answer is anyone who says "I'm a journalist," and has access to the internet.

Apparently, one of U.S. President Donald Trump's favourite sources of political news is a fellow named Alex Jones, who has, among other things, asserted that the Sept. 11 attacks were an inside job, and that the Sandy Hook massacre of schoolchildren never happened.

Jones got his start yelling far-right drivel into a microphone in a spare room in his house, but now runs multiple platforms, including the site Infowars, telling millions of people what they want to hear.

To the president of the United States, Jones is a real journalist, as opposed to most of the rest of us, whom he now characterizes as a cesspool of lying, dishonest purveyors of fake news and outright falsehoods, or, most recently, "enemies of the people."

I don't want this to sound like whining. I truly couldn't care less what Trump thinks about my craft, or, for that matter, what his supporters think.

But if polls are to be believed, it isn't just Trump and his ferociously loyal swarm of flying monkeys; Gallup's most recent testing of public opinion suggested that trust in the mass media "to report the news fully, accurately and fairly" is at its lowest level in polling history.

Only 32 per cent of respondents said they trusted the mainstream media.

Meaning that Trump, a fellow capable of standing in the rain and saying it's sunny, is more believed and trusted by Americans than journalists. This is not a new phenomenon, either. Gallup has traced a steady decline in trust for two decades.

More: http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/news-jou ... -1.3991443

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:59 am

Meanwhile NBC News on Sunday night aired a story about police evacuating neighborhoods in California and then made a note of how a SWAT team was needed for assistance. The FAKE NEWS part of the story was instantly obvious to anyone with an HD TV who noted that the video was the SWAT team from the Portland police department at last months anti-Trump riots.

We don't trust them because they keep making shit up and they keep getting caught making shit up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:04 am

I

Last edited by Lemmy on Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:06 am

Lemmy wrote:
It's brilliant play by Trump. Embrace the fake news and point the finger at the legitimate news agencies as the source of the problem.

What's a 'legitimate news agency'?

Is that a news agency owned by billionaires and corporations you like?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:10 am

BartSimpson wrote:
Lemmy wrote:
It's brilliant play by Trump. Embrace the fake news and point the finger at the legitimate news agencies as the source of the problem.

Daily Planet. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:17 am

K

Last edited by Lemmy on Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:19 am

BartSimpson wrote:
Lemmy wrote:

Is that a news agency owned by billionaires and corporations you like?

A trusted news agency with a history of reporting the truth. Not one that's been caught making up story after story.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:27 am

DrCaleb wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:

A trusted news agency with a history of reporting the truth. Not one that's been caught making up story after story.

In the US that rules out every last outlet of the 'mainstream media'. All of them have faced lawsuits and have faced serious problems with misconduct in reporting and sometimes making up the news out of whole cloth.

Every one of them has been caught lying and making shit up.

All of them.

Examples:

http://www.wnd.com/2016/12/6-eye-poppin ... fake-news/

Last edited by BartSimpson on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:27 am

DrCaleb wrote:

Well that's a nice definition. Do you know any of them ?

Because I can't name any of them anymore.

The 'news' like everything else, has just become more and more polarized,
everyone picking a side.

The 32% trust in the MSM speaks to very deep divisions in the public these days.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:39 am

BartSimpson wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:

In the US that rules out every last outlet of the 'mainstream media'. All of them have faced lawsuits and have faced serious problems with misconduct in reporting and sometimes making up the news out of whole cloth.

Every one of them has been caught lying and making shit up.

All of them.

That's exactly what the article is about. Trust in the news, and how they erode it themselves.

martin14 wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

Well that's a nice definition. Do you know any of them ?

Because I can't name any of them anymore.

The 'news' like everything else, has just become more and more polarized,
everyone picking a side.

The 32% trust in the MSM speaks to very deep divisions in the public these days.

There are a few. Usually the ones you consider 'liberal media'. Also coincidentally, most are State owned Media. Deuche Welle, CBC, BBC, Times of India . . . sure they get sued for libel etc. but that's part of the business. They don't however unabashedly make shit up out of thin air, like The Daily Mail, Russia Today, The Rebel, or Breitbart.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:55 am

DrCaleb wrote:
CBC, BBC,

Outing yourself as a real leftie. :lol:

You should read the comments from that CBC article, not many agree with you.

https://biasedbbc.org/quotes-of-shame/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_BBC
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... dmits.html

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:09 am

martin14 wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
CBC, BBC,

Outing yourself as a real leftie. :lol:

You should read the comments from that CBC article, not many agree with you.

Reality has a liberal polarization. Deal with it. ;) And I never said they didn't have biases or opinions, I said they publish the truth. Humans naturally have opinions and biases, it's the professionals who can look past their own and publish the facts. The things you hate them (BBC, CBC, AusBC) for, like not publishing rumor or waiting till facts are known, that's what makes them credible and differentiate them from the Alex Jones' and Expresses' of the world.

And I never read comments. The comments belong to the commenters, not the CBC or any other news organization. That's why many news organizations are removing their comment sections. Too many people assume because they let the comment stand that they stand behind the comment.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:19 am

Tsk tsk. I just put 3 little references where the BBC openly admits it publishes 'facts'
with a serious liberal bias; so they aren't publishing the 'truth'.

Same with the CBC.

Can't find one comment in the CBC story that supports the CBC.

The 32% is a small group.

It's only too bad you aren't prepared to challenge your own bias and fear of finding
out the truth about these organizations.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:35 am

martin14 wrote:
It's only too bad you aren't prepared to challenge your own bias and fear of finding
out the truth about these organizations.

I read your links. Show me a story where they fabricated the facts. Should be easy, right? Talking about 'bias' is irrelevant. Everyone has a bias. Equating bias with lies is lost on me, I know the difference. The Scientific Method is designed to remove the bias we humans have after all, and I'm a big fan of that.

I remember everyone (you included IIRC) bitching that the CBC didn't release information on the Quebec shooter(s) fast enough. Turns out, that saved them from having to retract bullshit about how some guy read on some subreddit that some other random person heard on some random police band radio that one of the shooter was a Moroccan Muslim. Turns out that journalistic integrity once again saved them from the same embarrassing thing that the Ezra faces every day.

Journalistic Integrity FTW!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:56 am

DrCaleb wrote:
Reality has a liberal polarization.

No, your perception of reality is skewed by your polarization. That's all.